Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

30 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

The rem rams in the cinema are from another game, I'm sure. Catherine maybe?

Yes. But I think there's something in Japanese folklore about them and sleep?

I'm working my way through the battle arena still and I have a question. If I lose is it the same as a real fight or does it just send me back outside? I need to know how cautious I should still be.

43 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Yes. But I think there's something in Japanese folklore about them and sleep?

I'm working my way through the battle arena still and I have a question. If I lose is it the same as a real fight or does it just send me back outside? I need to know how cautious I should still be.

Counting sheep to fall asleep no?

Not sure on the battle arena as I didn’t die. Just do it in batches of 5. Use up all your best skills and use Pound Mates. Exit after each set of 5, run off to the nearest restaurant to recover and save. Then continue from where you left off.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Not sure on the battle arena as I didn’t die. Just do it in batches of 5. Use up all your best skills and use Pound Mates. Exit after each set of 5, run off to the nearest restaurant to recover and save. Then continue from where you left off.

This. I generally bought a bunch of MP recovery items before going in, then tried to balance my MP usage during the easy encounters (skills and weapons that recover MP help a lot) and then spent everything on the next encounter before a checkpoint. Unless you really want to flex, you can leave the bonus objectives until you're levelled up to the point where they're trivialised by your stronger moves.

I'm still annoyed that when I was trying to decide what to buy with my Series X, several reviews I read made this out to be not nearly as good as AC Vallhalla, so I bought that snoozefest. Thankfully saw sense later. 

What an amazing game. 

20 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

This. I generally bought a bunch of MP recovery items before going in, then tried to balance my MP usage during the easy encounters (skills and weapons that recover MP help a lot) and then spent everything on the next encounter before a checkpoint. Unless you really want to flex, you can leave the bonus objectives until you're levelled up to the point where they're trivialised by your stronger moves.

Also, you recover all your HP and MP if you gain a level (either character level or job level) and you receive so much experience that you shouldn’t run out of skill points.

This game has so much heart and personality, every side quest is interesting.

I've just bought Yakuza 0 and Kiwami to play after this, is the fighting difficult? I'm not good at reaction-based games. I was shite at the fighting in Shenmue.

Kiwami is one of the harder games in the series. It's also, in my view, by far the worst. Gameplay isn't as good as 0 for some reason, but more to the point the story and side stuff is mostly the same as the original so is rather lacking in comparison to later entries. 

5 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Kiwami is one of the harder games in the series. It's also, in my view, by far the worst. Gameplay isn't as good as 0 for some reason, but more to the point the story and side stuff is mostly the same as the original so is rather lacking in comparison to later entries. 

Zero is the only one I've not played as yet. Kiwami is definitely bottom of my ranking for the PS4-era games. I did struggle with 3,4 and 5 at times (5 probably my favourite of those three, but it's so huuuuuge). Still enjoyed it, and the story stuff is worth it I think.

17 hours ago, scissorkicks said:

The first boss in Kiwami is a real dick, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's put off many people from pursuing it further. Just stock up on health items and don't be ashamed to use them. He's a cheap arsehole.

Yeah, it's very easy to go into that fight without unlocking any of the moves you need to stop him healing himself, which means it takes an age to take him down. It was the best part of half an hour of dodge/punch/dodge/punch/oh fuck he's healing again/dodge/punch before I got him.

The game improves quite a bit after that, the Majima stuff is great and unlocking all the Dragon moves can get quite compulsive but the sub-stories are really really dull for the most part. I don't dislike it but it's definitely best thought of as story DLC for Zero.

The weakest Yakuza game IMHO is 4, but none of them are actually bad.

5 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Absolute heresy! :o

Nah, I reckon there's a case for any of the games being considered the weakest dependent on perspective.

24 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'd second that. Out of all the new playable characters they introduced, only Akiyama is any good. I loathe playing as Saejima. Speaking of, maybe 5 is worse because of the god awful hunting section?

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'd second that. Out of all the new playable characters they introduced, only Akiyama is any good. I loathe playing as Saejima. Speaking of, maybe 5 is worse because of the god awful hunting section?

The hunting is brilliant

Saejima for me always takes an age to click. You can’t play him in the way that I play all action games, which is to dodge and counter because he doesn’t have a dodge. He’s a tank and adapting to using him always takes an age. Not helped by his sections in both Yakuza 4 and 5 starting with a part where you have minimal healing items.

The hunting section is actually pretty great, assuming you want to play Monster Hunter instead of Yakuza. It's almost entirely optional, though, so it doesn't bog the game down if you're not enjoying it.

It might be controversial but I have to admit that before this entry I wasn't ever the hugest fan of the actual gameplay. It was fun but fell short of being a truly great beat 'em up. I think the Dragon Quest-style combat does a better job of carrying me through the game. 

BTW there's a Korean show on Netflix called Stranger. It's a detective crime thriller with a slightly over the top basic premise - the main character had a botched operation for tinnitus which left him unable to feel emotions but is now a top prosecutor - and a really complicated and twisty story with layer upon layer of corruption, interspersed with bits of action, all of which really reminded me of the RGG studios output, specifically Judgement. Great series. 

One thing I've noticed with 7 compared to earlier entries in the series - and it's an entirely positive change - is that they've really toned down the perviness. I'm on chapter 10 now and I've seen nothing at all so far to compare with Zero's catfights and wanking booths, or Kiwami's Mesuking. Hostess clubs are still in there but now you get a short cutscene and a fade to black rather than an extended conversation. There are several significant female cast members and they're all strong characters and not overtly sexualised. Overall it makes it a much easier game to recommend or even play when there are other people around, I think Zero in particular is a brilliant game but some of the material in there is a little problematic!

Oh man, that is super nice to hear! I'm still torn on the knowing goofiness of the game (I think it was around 5/0 that the devs became too aware of it, playing up to it which spoils the incongruity for me) but the perviness has often been my number one detraction to the series. Back in the day I was actually in support of the removed content of 3, as the dating stuff has always been of the 'play this when no one's around' variety. To be fair Judgment also saw a noticeable drop in perviness aside from Yagami's dating preferences, though I am really relieved to hear this about LAD.

What's the consensus on performance of the PS4 version? I don't have mine to hand but may grab it in the coming months, just wondering if holding out for next gen is worth it (doubtful it given it's not developed with them in mind). For my supposed favourite series I've gotten really slack with playing them in a timely fashion. :unsure:

I failed my first shareholder meeting for the ichiban shop :( I'm gutted. I tried really hard organising the staff, but when it came to the meeting I had no clue what was happening.

16 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

ust wondering if holding out for next gen is worth it (doubtful it given it's not developed with them in mind). For my supposed favourite series I've gotten really slack with playing them in a timely fashion. :unsure:

It's definitely worth playing on the new systems, 1440p60fps looks and feels really good. 

4 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I failed my first shareholder meeting for the ichiban shop :( I'm gutted. I tried really hard organising the staff, but when it came to the meeting I had no clue what was happening.

It plays like rock, paper, scissors. Red (Labour) beats green (Capital) which beats blue (Land). 

You need to take in at least one employee of each colour.

The shareholders will ask a question. Whatever colour that question, answer it with the employee of the colour that beats it (so if the shareholder asks a green question, an employee who is red should answer it) and the shareholder will stand down.

Then you need to permanently shut up the shareholder. The shareholder will be of a certain colour (note that they don’t necessarily ask questions of the same colour) so you then need to use an employee of the colour that beats that colour to do max damage.

Each employee has three ratings. The number of turn points used up when answering or attacking a shareholder, so the lower the better. Tenacity which acts like a health bar, so higher the better (although once you understand the rock, paper, scissors nature this is less important) and persuasiveness which acts like an attack strength, so higher the better. 

By levelling up your employees by either giving them training or by having them run your businesses you can increase their tenacity and persuasiveness.

I think of the shareholder colours like Pokemon: Fire beats Grass beats Water. Red beats Green beats Blue. There's a little diagram in the bottom left but that makes it intuitive for me.

It took me a while to realise that the shareholder initially has shields of one colour then an energy bar of a different colour, so you might need to swap your respondent once you've taken down their shields. Then just spam A until the bar goes down.

If it all goes horribly wrong then you can hit Y to get Ichiban to do a grovelling apology, which takes a chunk off everyone's energy bar.

I find the property management game quite soothing really, it's just a bunch of menus and numbers but it's a nice change of pace and it's a great source of income for the main game.

I found this guide quite useful to get to Rank 1 in the management game:

https://samurai-gamers.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon/company-management-walkthrough/

once it clicks, you can get through it quite quickly. 

Remember, you can pause during the shareholder meeting, so if you’re getting flustered, just pause and think through your actions. 

Theres also a handy graphic in the bottom left showing which colours beat which other colours. 

In practice, you’ll move to your employee that has the right colour to defeat their question (shield) then look at the colour of the person asking the question, and move to the colour of the person that beats that, and hammer the A (or x if you’re on ps) button until their energy is depleted. 

Also, if Miyakuni ever shows up, hire her and Max her as fast as possible, as she destroys in the shareholder meetings. 

image.png.62eb99628c717ee9c68a64f00a9fe80c.png