IGNORED

Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

Harsin

I'm only on chapter 3, so basically still in the tutorial by all accounts, but I'm loving this. I was in the right mood for a new Yakuza game, and I've been after a new jRPG for a while, and this ticks both boxes perfectly. The combat is a lot more dynamic than I expected too.

The English localisation team for this honestly deserve medals. It's truly superb work. Spoilers for a Chapter 9 subquest:

Spoiler

The letter Ichiban writes for a certain someone was genuinely really touching. What a softy!

I've really thrown myself into this in the last few days and am up to chapter 6. It's fucking wonderful. The story, the characters. Such a brilliant blend of high drama and comedy. 

I wasn't sure how a Yakuza game would land without KK, but I am man crushing so hard on Ichiban. He's like every Keanu Reeves role in one.

I'm glad more people are playing this via game pass, it's one of the best game-y games there has been for ages. 

I wish that more games were constructed in a similar way, even this has a lot of places you can't go in etc but the smaller sizes really makes every location so much deeper (or broader perhaps) than your standard Western open world title. 

I do enjoy me some gta or what have you with driving about in it etc but personally I think it detracts while we have such empty maps in the longer run. 

Anyway, I'm waffling now, I just bloody love RGG and all of their games :wub:

I love how madly dissonant this is. It’s just bloody weird, and it’s an aspect of Zero that almost got me past the fighting, but couldn’t quite manage. Now I’m all in :)

Spoiler

Going from a very tense stand-off with the three leaders of the clans, to trying to figure out which of four suspicious men were pissing in a river has been a particular highlight

28 minutes ago, spanx said:

I love how madly dissonant this is. It’s just bloody weird, and it’s an aspect of Zero that almost got me past the fighting, but couldn’t quite manage. Now I’m all in :)

Hide contents

Going from a very tense stand-off with the three leaders of the clans, to trying to figure out which of four suspicious men were pissing in a river has been a particular highlight

That one took me 4 attempts :facepalm:

Without reading the EG review, I can easily believe people not feeling this. It takes a long time before it gets going, heck it took me until like the end of Chapter 8 before I was all in. Prior to that I was rather bored by most of its offerings.

I've quite liked it - but then I've only briefly played Yak 0. If you'd played all the Yak games and/or have a diet of a lot of JRPGs, I imagine it isn't a breath of something different.

And a lot of the cutscenes/story/lack of control sections are too long.

I found that as well. Not sure if it's my imagination, but the first 20 hours or so of Like A Dragon felt like a Soap Opera ride with you being stuck in one of those wee carts and all you can do is sit and let it all happen around you.

One thing that always surprises me about RGG is that in general they're quite sex positive. Even the one (5 iirc) where you meet the yakuza boss that enjoys a bit of diaper play and adult baby stuff, the tone is still "different strokes for different folks" rather than that anything is explicitly 'wrong' like in a lot of games and media. 

There's the one with the

Spoiler

Domme character and the masochist

in this which is done really well and isn't nearly as judgy as you normally would get (in a GTA for instance).

17 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

There should be a special award for the way this games makes the perceived dregs of society the heroes, and then proceeds to give detailed empathetic explanations and corrections on widespread misconceptions to educate people from their prejudices.

Yeah that aspect of the game has been a delightful surprise. EDIT: spoiler that @b00dles eh? These things are best discovered blindly, sometimes literally :lol:

I've only just reached chapter 4, as I haven't had that much time to play this week, but I'm already absolutely loving this. That little scene between Ichiban and Nanba at the en of chapter 3 was simple, but also utterly joyous. :D

Spoiler

"Let's do some hero shit!" :D

This isn't my first Yakuza game. I played the original on PS2, along with a fair chunk of the sequel, and I rather enjoyed Zero and Kiwami 1. I don't think any of them clicked with me quite like this has already though. 

Love this game so much. Just started chapter 7 and I seem quite short of money considering how expensive everything is. I guess I need to spend some time with the management game but I did one cycle, then I had to do a board meeting and I had no clue what was going on and the board were not very pleased!

7 minutes ago, Laine said:

Love this game so much. Just started chapter 7 and I seem quite short of money considering how expensive everything is. I guess I need to spend some time with the management game but I did one cycle, then I had to do a board meeting and I had no clue what was going on and the board were not very pleased!

I didn’t do that much of the management mini game to be honest, but some Part-Time Hero missions have decent rewards, and it’s also worth checking your inventory for anything that only exists to be sold at a pawn shop - you could be running around with free cash in item form :) 

The management game is well worth persevering with - if you make it all the way to the end then it is basically a source of endless free money. I thought it was really fun too. You'll need lots of cash in this game for both story and non-story related reasons.

4 hours ago, Laine said:

My advice would be to exit the management mini game and save right before going into the meetings, as if things so south you can always reload and try again. It took me a few attempts to determine how it all works, but once you have selected your team and got them to a decent level it can be pretty plain sailing. Omelette is a member of my board of directors, naturally.

Also, the level 3 apology is a thing of beauty :lol:

Aye the board meeting thing is a lot simpler than it seems, it's just that the tutorial is a bit a bewildering info dump. 

There is a point in the game where things are a lot smoother if you've played a bit of it. 

I never did my post-game run, might be time soon. 

40 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Affirmative.

Soak it all in. It bizarrely all comes together in a lot more satisfying (and occasionally genuinely moving) ways. 

And yet it also has a game where you have to hit sheep while you're trying to watch a movie. 

Welcome to yakuza, it's fucking great.