Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

Slot machines :lol: how do they work?

I hit a jackpot, a ton of Hades things happened, it kept going so I went downstairs to make breakfast. Came back after 15 minutes and it’s still going :lol: I wanna to back to playing the game please.

Like, am I winning? How do I payout?

26 minutes ago, df0 said:

Like, am I winning? How do I payout?

I think on PS4 you can hit the touchpad and exit? (It's been a while...)

So I guess you spin until you make more tokens than you initially bought and then quit. Then you can go to a prize exchange place and spend your tokens on things.

In Chapter 7 now and am not feeling this at all. I don't actively dislike it, the problem is that I am not actively feeling anything towards it. I'm mostly just bored and I like to believe I know the source of this: the combat. Or the lack thereof.

Even the best Yakuza game(s) had monotony. Cutscene after cutscene with little to no control and once you gained control it was only so you could take several steps towards the next cutscene trigger. While taking those several steps there was the combat and that for me always broke the monotony. I was in charge of the combat, I could grab an enemy and move him towards a windows pane before smashing it in with his face, or uppercut an opponent with a bicycle, disarm them, dodge an incoming attack and counter with a button press. The direct control I had made the combat fun and interactive, the perfect distraction from the monotony.

In Like A Dragon... I'm just bored. The combat is much less satisfying. Most of the time I resort to auto-attack while I take a sip of tea or browse my phone. The few times where I think "Ok, I'll get invested" I'm reminded why I chose auto-attack in the first place.

Rather disappointed by this.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

In Chapter 7 now and am not feeling this at all. I don't actively dislike it, the problem is that I am not actively feeling anything towards it. I'm mostly just bored and I like to believe I know the source of this: the combat. Or the lack thereof.

Even the best Yakuza game(s) had monotony. Cutscene after cutscene with little to no control and once you gained control it was only so you could take several steps towards the next cutscene trigger. While taking those several steps there was the combat and that for me always broke the monotony. I was in charge of the combat, I could grab an enemy and move him towards a windows pane before smashing it in with his face, or uppercut an opponent with a bicycle, disarm them, dodge an incoming attack and counter with a button press. The direct control I had made the combat fun and interactive, the perfect distraction from the monotony.

In Like A Dragon... I'm just bored. The combat is much less satisfying. Most of the time I resort to auto-attack while I take a sip of tea or browse my phone. The few times where I think "Ok, I'll get invested" I'm reminded why I chose auto-attack in the first place.

Rather disappointed by this.

How are you with turn based JRPG battling in general? I’m only a recent convert to them myself. I haven’t played Yak: LaD yet, so can’t exactly speak for it, but if it’s anything like the other JRPGs from which it supposedly takes inspiration, I’m pretty sure I’ll like it.

I now think turn based JRPG battle is far more engaging than the type of combat seen in the many other Yakuza games, which wasn’t ever exactly strategic. Cathartic and visually arresting when the heat moves kick in, but really pretty simple if we’re being honest. Monotonous maybe even?

With turn based battle you’re constantly (not actually constantly, admittedly - certainly not against lower level opponents) strategising, thinking about buffing your party, removing buffs from enemies, planning 3 turns ahead, tactically deploying effective elemental attacks depending on enemy weaknesses, factoring in healing and so on. It can get really tense and there’s often that risk / reward thing about should I just brute force all of my party’s turns, or do I ‘waste’ a turn on healing / buffing / whatever.

Like I say, I’ve only comparatively recently “got” the appeal of all this, but now I’m all about it. Sitting like a boss, strategising, setting up, executing the plan, taking that sip of tea as it unfolds, then spilling the cup all over yourself as it goes tits up and you need to spam healing potions and MP elixirs and shit. It’s fucking bliss and I’m kicking myself for being so late to the party. What with these JRPG’s being so massively long, I’ve wasted my life by not playing the classics at the time, and have a tonne of impossible catching up to do as I descend into actual middle age, as great new entries in the genre continue to be released :( Even fucking Yakuza ones! :) 

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

With turn based battle you’re constantly (not actually constantly, admittedly - certainly not against lower level opponents) strategising, thinking about buffing your party, removing buffs from enemies, planning 3 turns ahead, tactically deploying effective elemental attacks depending on enemy weaknesses, factoring in healing and so on. It can get really tense and there’s often that risk / reward thing about should I just brute force all of my party’s turns, or do I ‘waste’ a turn on healing / buffing / whatever.

None of that so far. Any thought I put into anything - let me lower the opponent's defence so my buddies do more damage - felt unnecessary. Like, it did not turn any tide in the slightest. Who cares this enemy is weak against fire if I can just brute force may way through it which results in the opponent going down in 5 attacks instead of 4.

I swear by auto-attack.

I enjoyed the combat but I think there were maybe three fights in the entire game (not the post-game challenges) where I bothered with stat effects or healing. I just used attacks that hit everyone if I had them and then attacks that hit hardest. Oh, the wee vagrant guys who take 1 damage per hit I'd use my spinny move that hit 6+ times but there wasn't a lot of strategy involved (which I'm thankful for).

Started playing this today on the PS5, it's good. Only had one game crash when trying to play Space Harrier in the arcade, will try that again later.

I'm on chapter 2 at the moment and about to go into the hotel mission.

33 minutes ago, Popo said:

I've just bitten - £19.85 at Simply Games. 

Cracking price, it's a fun game I'm up to chapter 5 now. Most important tip I can give is just be careful when crossing the road & make sure you talk to taxi drivers.

30 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Cracking price, it's a fun game I'm up to chapter 5 now. Most important tip I can give is just be careful when crossing the road & make sure you talk to taxi drivers.

I think I’ll now give myself a little push to finish Zero before it arrives, it seems I’ve only got 2 chapters remaining, so the timing is not bad. 

Just fired this up - me like! The battles so far make a nice change from the traditional Yakuza style, the visual bump compared to the old engine is greatly appreciated - you don’t need to click a button to go in and out of shops anymore! The whole exploration element is much better realised than Yakuza 0, or the original PS2 game (which are the only others I’ve played). 

Also, I like that the main character isn’t a stoic everyman. Good company so far. 

It’s kinda mad how well the turn-based battling melds into the wider Yakuza play style. I almost forget how different it is to the whole history of the series - there are lots of little touches and nuances that show a lot of effort has gone into implementing it. 

As a former resident, I’m not sure how much I appreciate the characterisation of Yokohama as ‘The Town at Rock Bottom’ though.  :mad:

I’m loving this, spent all of yesterday doing the Ichiban management game - very addictive! My only complaint thus far is that I can’t find a way of seeing all of my weapons in the inventory. I can only view weapons for my current jobs; for example if I loot a sledgehammer I can’t find a way to see what the stats are unless I change jobs to foreman and then equip the weapon. 

4 hours ago, Nosejam said:

I’m loving this, spent all of yesterday doing the Ichiban management game - very addictive! My only complaint thus far is that I can’t find a way of seeing all of my weapons in the inventory. I can only view weapons for my current jobs; for example if I loot a sledgehammer I can’t find a way to see what the stats are unless I change jobs to foreman and then equip the weapon. 

Gear > Triangle (Gear List) shows all weapons.

Took me quite a few attempts but finally got the film trophy, that last film is tough.

I’m on chapter 12 now, need to do some levelling up at the arena and also look at weapon upgrades at the workshop.

Man, all this talk about Yakuza makes me happy. 

Just started playing Zero again. 

Just beat the crap out of Kuze for the first time in the tale...

Always such good fun.

No other game makes me feel like such a fucking bad-ass.

With a heart of gold.

30 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Some advice please on jobs, I have reached lvl 30 rank should I stick with this job or switch to another?

Which job? Kasuga only really needs the Hero job once he gains access to it, though I'd also swap him over to Foreman at least once so you can smash through some barriers in the environment.  Many characters perform best or extremely well with their default job (or at least the later additions to the team), though Saeko makes for a good Idol and I had Adachi set up as an Enforcer.  Nanba can stay default, though he also makes a pretty good cook.

Once (if?) you get Eri, Dealer's a good option for the sky darts move. Shreds dudes.

37 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Some advice please on jobs, I have reached lvl 30 rank should I stick with this job or switch to another?

Each job has one or two moves that can continue to be used once you switch to other jobs, so bouncing between a few isn't a bad idea. You don't need to level them all up to 30 but it'll increase your options.

1 minute ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Which job? Kasuga only really needs the Hero job once he gains access to it, though I'd also swap him over to Foreman at least once so you can smash through some barriers in the environment.  Many characters perform best or extremely well with their default job (or at least the later additions to the team), though Saeko makes for a good Idol and I had Adachi set up as an Enforcer.  Nanba can stay default, though he also makes a pretty good cook.

Once (if?) you get Eri, Dealer's a good option for the sky darts move. Shreds dudes.

Thanks for the tips, Kasuga is lvl 28 it was more with the other characters quite a few of them are level 34+ on job rank and I was thinking of the end game and if I switched to learn other job classes could I boost them with new skills/stats boosts?

9 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Thanks for the tips, Kasuga is lvl 28 it was more with the other characters quite a few of them are level 34+ on job rank and I was thinking of the end game and if I switched to learn other job classes could I boost them with new skills/stats boosts?

Every now and then while leveling you get a small passive boost that carries across all jobs and there are certain skills that do likewise. You don't really need these unless you're intending going for the Millennium Tower bonus runs - at which point you'd very much need them.

Character skills are the permanent ones you'd be looking for in each job list - they have a little red circle beside them.

If you are intending leveling up jobs, be sure to equip their boosting item (or two if you can get them) on your characters. There's probably a better guide to their locations than this one, but hey - and be aware that Ichiban's works for both Freelancer and Hero. I think it may actually work for every job in the game, but I'm not 100% sure without booting the game back up. https://www.neoseeker.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon/walkthrough/Job_EXP_Boosters

I'm prepping for the final, final thing in the game with all characters at level 99 and at least one job each at Rank 99 and have decided all RPGs should just have an option to level up in the menu.

25 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Every now and then while leveling you get a small passive boost that carries across all jobs and there are certain skills that do likewise. You don't really need these unless you're intending going for the Millennium Tower bonus runs - at which point you'd very much need them.

Character skills are the permanent ones you'd be looking for in each job list - they have a little red circle beside them.

If you are intending leveling up jobs, be sure to equip their boosting item (or two if you can get them) on your characters. There's probably a better guide to their locations than this one, but hey - and be aware that Ichiban's works for both Freelancer and Hero. I think it may actually work for every job in the game, but I'm not 100% sure without booting the game back up. https://www.neoseeker.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon/walkthrough/Job_EXP_Boosters

Thanks for those tips and the link. @joffocakes for the end game do you need a job rank of level 99?