Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

11 hours ago, Mafro said:

I'm still not sold on the new battle system at all, just seems to really grind the pace to a halt sometimes. The fact that I've never been a fan of turn-based combat anyway doesn't help but I've been a fan of every game in the series so far so I'm going to persevere.

Approach it with the mindset that helped establish the turn based format in the first place: a chance to take a draw of your smoke or a swig of your drink. Treat it all with a one-handed ultra chillness and just get into the strategy of it all as you sip and toke.

I’ve not played Yak: LaD yet, but I am a recent convert to turn-based battle, where I once hated the concept. Now as an old geezer just looking to relax, I’m adding all sorts of old turn based GBA and DS JRPG’s to my eBay watchlist for £70+ a pop in order to catch up. Pour yourself a drink, settle in and get with it.

6 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

Thanks for drawing attention to that, although it seems that the offer does not apply to Xbox. No listing for said DLC anywhere.

Oh sorry must be PlayStation only. Will edit original post.

Finally got round to this, and just sunk 5 hours in straight. Absolutely sensational so far. Combat is fine, but it’s the world and story that has me hooked! Ichi is such a likeable chap straight away, I am rooting all the way.

Work in less than 8 hours, but a full weekend of YLAD is on the cards. So long as my wife doesn’t have other plans for me...

Oh please mighty Chore-azard, not this weekend! 

33 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Good interview with Nagoshi, but his face makes me feel rather uncomfortable:

Watched that last night cracking interview I thought.  And I posted a link just two posts ago lol 

Like a Dragon seems surprisingly solid mechanically given they apparently cobbled the RPG systems together in about 8 months, but it's intensely annoying that you have ostensible AoE attacks that enemies might just wander out of range from. Is this something that can be mitigated somehow, or do you unlock more dependable multi-enemy attacks later?

Early days for me – I waited for the PS5 release – but so far I wouldn't be against them making more turn-based games. Their first attempt is already more interesting than most JRPGs, and I haven't even unlocked job switching yet.

Nagoshi has morphed gradually into an actual guy from the Yakuza games. Mind he used to write a monthly article for Edge? Pretty sure he was a fresh faced wee floppy haired sort of magical lucky man in those days.

13 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Nagoshi has morphed gradually into an actual guy from the Yakuza games. Mind he used to write a monthly article for Edge? Pretty sure he was a fresh faced wee floppy haired sort of magical lucky man in those days.

I remember having a quick chat with him about Monkey Ball many years ago at a pre Space World Gamecube event. He was indeed a very different looking bloke then. I think I still have his assistant's Amusement Vison business card somewhere.

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

Like a Dragon seems surprisingly solid mechanically given they apparently cobbled the RPG systems together in about 8 months, but it's intensely annoying that you have ostensible AoE attacks that enemies might just wander out of range from. Is this something that can be mitigated somehow, or do you unlock more dependable multi-enemy attacks later?

Early days for me – I waited for the PS5 release – but so far I wouldn't be against them making more turn-based games. Their first attempt is already more interesting than most JRPGs, and I haven't even unlocked job switching yet.

Good lord man/woman  Have patience. There will be attacks that can wipe an entire screen full of enemies in one attack. 

This is from someone who is 15 hrs into the last achievement grind and does it constantly. 

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

spacer.png

All the chat about this has peaked my interest. I enjoyed Yakuza zero but never finished it. Is this on gamepass? And does the Xbox version have next gen enhancements or should I go with PS5 ?

24 minutes ago, Fargo said:

All the chat about this has peaked my interest. I enjoyed Yakuza zero but never finished it. Is this on gamepass? And does the Xbox version have next gen enhancements or should I go with PS5 ?

It's not on Gamepass yet.

The Series X version has locked 4K/60 mode and it's amazing. 

It also loads really quick. I assume the PS5 version is exactly the same. 

11 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I maintain that he based the main protagonist in Judgement on himself

I spent an hour running around the park the other evening in the hope of finding a Golden Moth with no luck. I turned it on briefly from suspended and caught one in literally 4 seconds. Ridiculous.

Yakuza was always a series I wanted to love but just couldn’t gel with prior to this, and the reason was the combat. I just didn’t get on with it while being too stubborn to try it on easy.

Nonetheless, I wanted to give it another chance and, as luck would have it, Game sent out a voucher offering it for £35 to Series X buyers and it turned out to be one of the best purchases I’ve made in a long time. I was even happy to grind after hitting its occasional difficulty spikes.

I'm now playing through the other games - on easy, of course - and having a great time. While Like a Dragon works perfectly as a starting point, I’m already looking forward to playing it again with the benefit of knowing more about some of the returning cameos.

Well that true final dungeon isn't fucking about is it. Just finished 20 hrs of grinding and got all characters to max job level on multiple jobs. Thought it would be a cake walk. 

Is it balls. Got to third floor only a standard enemy who is l99 and never got a chance to even cast fearless courage on Ichiban. Summon stone went on 2nd floor.  So one hit wipes me and it's back to title. 

Try again tomorrow. 

Tried again today. Got all the way to floor 5 this time no issues getting there easily beat the 2 bosses as well.

Then another fight against 3 enemies wiped 2 of my party out and was no chance to revive them all and 3 against one I got beat. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Tried again today. Got all the way to floor 5 this time no issues getting there easily beat the 2 bosses as well.

Then another fight against 3 enemies wiped 2 of my party out and was no chance to revive them all and 3 against one I got beat. 

What are your character levels? 

1 hour ago, Rain Birds said:

What are your character levels? 

Ichi is l99 and 4 jobs are levelled to 99 and one other is 70 odd.

The rest all have 4 jobs at 99 and are all 99. 

Don't think I'm underlevelled it's just hard. 

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Have you got the ice bucket host move, fortune teller thunder move and foreman explosive throwing move on all male characters? Pretty much all you need if you’re levelled sufficiently and know what each enemies weakness is? They all have one 

11 minutes ago, lordscotland said:

Have you got the ice bucket host move, fortune teller thunder move and foreman explosive throwing move on all male characters? Pretty much all you need if you’re levelled sufficiently and know what each enemies weakness is? They all have one 

Yeah all that’s sorted, just been unlucky so far I think. I’ll give it another try after work tomorrow morning. 

21 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Yea but even then he had a sort of ‘fuck it, I’m doing it my way’ kind of attitude, when he turned in the article that had absolutely fuck all to do with games and just rambled on about whiskey.

Legend. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Yea but even then he had a sort of ‘fuck it, I’m doing it my way’ kind of attitude, when he turned in the article that had absolutely fuck all to do with games and just rambled on about whiskey.

Legend. 

Now that you mention it, I remember those columns and in hindsight they are a perfect fit for the guy who went on to make Yakuza. Bet he wrote those in-game whiskey descriptions himself.

50 minutes ago, Popo said:

Legend. 

whisky > fashion > games

in that order 

31 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Yeah, it can be tough. I think I was around level 60 - not sure of the job rank(s) - when I finished it, so you’re definitely not under-levelled.

For what it’s worth, Idol Saeko casting Lovedrunk Typhoon at the first opportunity and serving as co-healer alongside Hero Ichiban was essential for me, along with considerable stocks of MP restoration items.