Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!

Harsin

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

My PS4 copy arrived from Currys this morning.

In an unpadded grey plastic bag!! Jesus!

It's the Day Ichi steel book too which I didn't realise.

Time to install and then not play until March.

That's how currys sent my series x! They skimp on packaging terribly. 

Well it's done it to me again with a minigame. 

Thoroughly addicted to Ichiban Confectioneries and the management sim game.

Took me a bit to get fully on board (pun intended) with the Shareholders meeting element but that's clicked now and I'm now rank 36 and only on Chapter 7 of the game. 

Bloody love it. 

Yeah this is the first Yakuza game I've gotten properly into and I'm also fully invested (pun intended) in the management minigame and mopping up side stories, buying every item. I don't think I'll make it onto chapter 8 for a dozen hours.

Spent last night catching all the toys in the claw machines and playing Virtua Fighter. Basically how I spent my holiday to Blackpool when I was 12.

Ordered this on PS4 yesterday after reading a Tweet describing a boss fight with a giant vacuum cleaner.

Never played a Yakuza game before. They always looked delightfully mental, but a bit too ‘fighty’ to me. I’m a huge JRPG fan though, so I’ve had my eye on this for a while. Seemed like a good time to jump in.

What’s the story-to-battle ratio? Does it have ‘dungeons’ akin to a regular JPRG?

7 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Ordered this on PS4 yesterday after reading a Tweet describing a boss fight with a giant vacuum cleaner.

Never played a Yakuza game before. They always looked delightfully mental, but a bit too ‘fighty’ to me. I’m a huge JRPG fan though, so I’ve had my eye on this for a while. Seemed like a good time to jump in.

What’s the story-to-battle ratio? Does it have ‘dungeons’ akin to a regular JPRG?

I've only encountered one proper dungeon and you can revisit it. And thats in 43 hours and on chapter 11. I believe theres another 2 or 3 I've yet to reach in the story. 

It's an amazing game though. Amazing... 

20 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Lots of story when you're getting exposition, lots of battles when you're out on the town. Plenty of scope to do other things as well.

You'll love this, I think. Some people think it's a bit story heavy at the start - it's got a lot of cutscenes in the front end, for sure, but they're damn good ones at that.

27 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I don't know about ratio but I find you're either dealing with very very long cutscenes, or spending a long time fighting and doing your own thing. Side stories are quite quick though in terms of cutscenes. 

In other words while there are quite lengthy periods of time where you're just watching with very little to do, there are also very lengthy times where you're just pottering away, grinding if you like, playing mini games (there are a LOT of games, it's almost like 51 worldwide games is bundled in).

Anyone who likes JRPGs at all owes it to themselves to play this game - not just because it's good but because the way they have made the JRPG setting "real life"* is relatively unique. 

* It's not real life, it's utterly bonkers and contrived in a really good way, but the point is you're just having a lot of fisticuffs, rather than dragons and monsters and the like. The job system is a funny but fresh way to have classes. Instead of warrior or mage or thief you've got foreman, chef, hostess...It's not immediately clear what kind of class each one is and how they play so trying to figure out which one is "the mage" or "the warrior" and apply it to prior knowledge of RPGs is genuinely interesting.

That said - I am struggling to find synergy between my classes or anything particularly strategic. It's still fun and battles are still tactical, but the battle system is not the best out there. But the layer on top is compelling enough. I'm all the way through yet, and I've read that it can get hard so maybe I've just not experienced tough battles yet. It's not been particularly difficult thus far and I have a full roster of party members so I don't feel like I'm too far away the end of the story. 

39 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I’d divide it into three “area types” - the open world where you get from A to B and run into random battles on the way, key locations in the story where you fight through several floors of a building (for instance) and it culminates in a boss battle, and the optional dungeons and arenas that you unlock and can visit at any time for experience and loot.

You’ll be going through a lot of battles but there’s also tons of exposition via cutscenes and incidental chats, so it’s pretty well balanced. And as you develop the characters you quickly find ways to “optimise” battles against fodder enemies, so it rarely feels like the pacing suffers.

I think you’ll enjoy it - I’ve finished the main story but the disc is still in my PS4 because it’s fun to revisit the world and mess around. :) 

51 minutes ago, Steven said:

Such a pain having to wait for the patch for this. Been tempted to just get stuck in a couple of times now.

Is the patch expected to do more than just up the frame rate to 60fps?

I'm still on Chapter 7 with a little less than 40 hours on the clock. I keep playing Virtua Fighter (Virtua Fighter 2 on "easy" is NOT easy)and the Karting game and think I've just about squeezed the juice out of the substories available to me.

I do enjoy that you'll go into a substory and expect the story to take one of two obvious twists only for it to actually be both of those, plus something else.

I love the way most side stories are generally along the lines of...

• literally anything involving literally anyone happens
  • You help them out but...
  • Some guys want to beat you up. So you beat them up.

I mean almost any kind of simple story ends with the most ridiculous reason for a fistfight. I love it.

27 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I love the way most side stories are generally along the lines of...

• literally anything involving literally anyone happens
  • You help them out but...
  • Some guys want to beat you up. So you beat them up.

I mean almost any kind of simple story ends with the most ridiculous reason for a fistfight. I love it.

And you get some amazing poundmates(summons) out of loads of them.  The one in chapter 9 is a highlight 

Spoiler

The masked monster in Koreatown who is an ersatz Jason Vorhees 

Ok so I'm just about to head into the Tower on the last chapter. 

How much time do I need to spare to get through it?  2hrs or so, cos I know the end cutscenes usually go on for a bit with Yakuza games. 

Then it's premium adventure to mop up those last few achievements 

Yeah, at least two hours I'd say, and there are no save points so make sure you've put aside plenty of time and be careful. Ichiban's got a skill that lets him absorb one fatal blow so make sure you keep that up at all times to avoid being accidentally one-shotted. Some of the regular enemies are tougher than the bosses. And of course there's a shit ton of cutscenes once you're done.

I've got every achievement now apart from maxing out my Part-Time Hero level, and completing the final final secret dungeon. Both of those are massive grinds so I'm happy to leave it there for now.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yeah, at least two hours I'd say, and there are no save points so make sure you've put aside plenty of time and be careful. Ichiban's got a skill that lets him absorb one fatal blow so make sure you keep that up at all times to avoid being accidentally one-shotted. Some of the regular enemies are tougher than the bosses. And of course there's a shit ton of cutscenes once you're done.

I've got every achievement now apart from maxing out my Part-Time Hero level, and completing the final final secret dungeon. Both of those are massive grinds so I'm happy to leave it there for now.

Cheers, it why I didn't plow on this morning. Think I'll save it for Sat morning when I know I'll have the spare time first thing. 

Onto Ass Creed Val properly then it is. 

13 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Ichiban's got a skill that lets him absorb one fatal blow so make sure you keep that up at all times to avoid being accidentally one-shotted.

It also exists as an accessory, which is how I survived some of the later encounters.

@cassidy - it might also be worth going through the Sotenbori arena for any unfinished challenges that might have useful rewards. :) 

I was fairly well levelled for the final dungeon (Ichiban high 60s, the rest of the party a couple of levels below that, all with jobs around 30) and didn't have any real problems with it to be honest. It wasn't anywhere near as tough as the big setpiece boss fights in the preceding chapters.

You can level up extremely quickly at this point in the story if you need to by

Spoiler

going to the second level of the Kamurocho underground dungeon and killing the Invested Vagabonds. There are four on that level I think and each one rewards you with mountains of XP.

I was also over levelled for the final tower and regretted it a bit. I had everyone between 73 and 70 and found that I barely needed to heal if I had health regen going and it felt a bit of an anti-climax. Especially compared to some of the tougher fights before I started exploiting the last underground dungeon.

Such a wonderful game though. I wasn't convinced for the first few chapters but the combat gets a lot more interesting as you open up more attacks/skills and start playing around with cross-job skills and, obviously, the party characters are all brilliant. 

You have got to be kidding me. Just did all of the last dungeon, seen all the cutscenes, been playing for 2hrs and needed loo. Paused game. Return to game refuses to unpause. Had to quit it.  Last autosave was before I entered the tower.

Right that's me done till Sat now cos I'm a tad annoyed. 

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Ah man, that is rough. I've never seen the game do that before. It's generally behaved itself very well, even in terms of being the only Series X title I've played where Quick Resume has worked every single time without fail.

I've had a few issues which prompted me to save before and after quick resume. 

Game just hangs entering a battle or menu and forces a quit and restart. 

Multiple pad disconnects (Xbox issue not game) 

But this was the first time it refused to unpause.  I'll do it again Sat morning cos I can't face it today. 

12 minutes ago, Steven said:

WTF?

Yep. It autosaves when you enter the tower, then there are no save points or autosaves all the way through the final dungeon (multiple fights and bosses) or the onslaught of cutscenes that follow. You literally can't save again until the game is completely finished.

Even worse, it disables the "retry" function for that dungeon - normally when you lose a fight you can restart from that point, but in the final dungeon you get thrown back to the entrance.

It's a black mark against a game that otherwise rarely does anything wrong.

On 16/02/2021 at 17:21, cassidy said:

Oh shit son. That bit in chapter 12. You all know it if you've played it. With that amazing slow mo jaw punch. 

Every hair on my body stood up.  So cool. 

Game is now legendary. 

I JUST HAD THIS BIT YESTERDAY - it was glorious. Goosebumps. Pitch perfect spectacle and drama. I already loved the part before that, because of you know what, but then this just... almost made me emotional. Nod of approval