Jump to content

Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon - Gotta Dispatch 'Em All!


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I'm sick of this now. I was trying to finish the part-time hero quests last night, the ones where you hunt the enemies. Three fucking hours I spent trying to find this one called Musclehead on Isezaki Road, they just wouldn't spawn. In the end I went to the sewers because I knew they were definitely there. I'm only up to about the fourth quest, so if any more of them are like that the game is going in the bin!

 

Why punish yourself though? I don't think I touched the part-time hero stuff unless an SOS mission was directly on my flight path. Just focus on the excellent main narrative... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thwomp said:

I'm sick of this now. I was trying to finish the part-time hero quests last night, the ones where you hunt the enemies. Three fucking hours I spent trying to find this one called Musclehead on Isezaki Road, they just wouldn't spawn. In the end I went to the sewers because I knew they were definitely there. I'm only up to about the fourth quest, so if any more of them are like that the game is going in the bin!

 

Is this necessary for 100% trophies or something? I wouldn't have even dreamed of hunting for those Part-Time Hero random encounter enemies -- it's such a tiny background part of the secondary content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

 

Why punish yourself though? I don't think I touched the part-time hero stuff unless an SOS mission was directly on my flight path. Just focus on the excellent main narrative... 

 

Because I hate missing out on bits of games, I want to experience everything. Maybe I should just forget about it, it's not worth my time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

 

Because I hate missing out on bits of games, I want to experience everything. Maybe I should just forget about it, it's not worth my time.

 

You'll miss out on a lot more if you bin it! A lot of great, great stuff even.

 

I get the completionist thing, but you've time to do all that cleanup stuff afterwards if you feel like doing so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

 

Because I hate missing out on bits of games, I want to experience everything. Maybe I should just forget about it, it's not worth my time.

Why would you choose to ruin an otherwise excellent game in this way for yourself??? I genuinely can't understand this

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I'm sick of this now. I was trying to finish the part-time hero quests last night, the ones where you hunt the enemies. Three fucking hours I spent trying to find this one called Musclehead on Isezaki Road, they just wouldn't spawn. In the end I went to the sewers because I knew they were definitely there. I'm only up to about the fourth quest, so if any more of them are like that the game is going in the bin!

The mildest of mild spoilers - there’s neither any trophies linked to doing that nor any reward from it that’s worthwhile

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I finished it last night and I have thoughts!

 

It's the only Yakuza game where every time I feel like I'm falling in love with it again, it does something insanely stupid that brings me crashing down to Earth. So the good: side missions are a delight, as is the main story (for the most part), overall I do like the battle system, characters are superb, some of the mini games are enjoyably addictive and holy shit the Poundmates are great.

 

Now the bad, while the battle system is good, it really needs tweaking if the series is continuing to go down the JRPG path. Waiting for enemies to get into position so you can maximise area of effect attacks is a chore, sometimes the level requirements would jump ridiculously between chapters causing a grind (at least the battle system was fun!). And now for late game (ENDING) spoilers, so don't click unless you've completed it!

 

Spoiler

Now, when it comes to the Yakuza series I obviously have a high tolerance for silly melodrama, you have to be, it's Yakuza! But even I scoffed and shook my head at the sheer absurdity of TWO babies being in the lockers. :lol: Next, the fight with Tendo. Never, EVER give your final boss a one hit instant kill. It become more manageable when I saw Ichibans ability he could cast that allows him to survive a one hit kill, but fuck me. "I know, our final-ish- boss should have one hit kills AND more often than not have multiple turns one after the other". Fucking amateur hour. <_< 

 

So, with all that said, Yakuza 7 will now fit nicely mid-table in my rankings of Yakuza's. Below the likes of 0, 6 and Judgment, but just above the games featured in the Remastered Trilogy.

 

On 22/01/2021 at 21:59, Calashnikov said:

I love the Yakuza series but fuck ever trying to 100% any of them :blink: 

 

Are you going to teach yourself fucking shogi and mahjong as well? 

 

I've actually set myself a task to learn Shogi and Mahjong this year because of these games! :lol: Shogi seems easily doable if you can understand Chess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Finished it :) that's some pretty great acting at the end. I'm not sure whether to keep playing to get everyone's best weapons or just move onto Yakuza 0.


My two rules for Yakuza games:

 

- Always do the side stories

 

- Never play two Yakuza games back to back. I mean you wouldn’t eat two roast dinners in a row, would you? Because that would be ridiculous.

 

You need a gaming sorbet in between, to cleanse the palette. 
 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

New playthrough's as awesome as the first. Can't remember ever playing a lengthy JRPG through again after such a short time.

 

I was going to do Legendary new game plus, but unless you ground every job level up to 99 you're either going to get one shot by mooks after chapter 4 or miss most of your standard attacks due to lack of accuracy (which means you need to use the cutscene style ones for every move, and that gets old fast).

 

Also, I like that sense of progression you get from gaining new equipment and honing it at the workshop, so just a standard start from scratch approach for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit where it's due, while I still think I prefer the brawler style games, in their first attempt at a single-player JRPG they've managed to make something better than Square have managed in years with a budget that's probably around the catering bill of your a average Final Fantasy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Harsin said:

Credit where it's due, while I still think I prefer the brawler style games, in their first attempt at a single-player JRPG they've managed to make something better than Square have managed in years with a budget that's probably around the catering bill of your a average Final Fantasy.

 

I think moment-by-moment, the brawler games have more entertaining combat, but the real genius of this is the way the RPG combat system is used to really bring your party to life. The characters in this have so much... character. I hope they stick with a variation of this system for a couple of games at least, it's going to be incredible once they've refined it a bit.

 

I didn't think it was possible but I think Like A Dragon has edged out Zero as my favourite Yakuza game. It's only really the incredibly slow start that lets it down a bit, and that's quickly forgotten once the game gets going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Harsin said:

Make a stand-alone Cabaret Club mobile game Sega you cowards.

 

The theatre game would work well on mobile - just replace controller buttons with tapping the sheep. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My PS4 copy arrived from Currys this morning.

 

In an unpadded grey plastic bag!! Jesus!

 

It's the Day Ichi steel book too which I didn't realise.

 

Time to install and then not play until March.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

My PS4 copy arrived from Currys this morning.

 

In an unpadded grey plastic bag!! Jesus!

 

It's the Day Ichi steel book too which I didn't realise.

 

Time to install and then not play until March.

 

Just came in here as it arrived from Curry's a minute ago (grey plastic bag) and it dawned on me that if I start now, I'll have to start again if I want to play the upgraded version, won't I?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Steven said:

 

Just came in here as it arrived from Curry's a minute ago (grey plastic bag) and it dawned on me that if I start now, I'll have to start again if I want to play the upgraded version, won't I?

 

Yeah, at the moment (and unless it changes) the PS4 save isn't transferable to PS5. :(

 

Ah well, not like I don't have shed loads to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.