rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

Retro Gamer Issue 200

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

IFGO!

I have no idea what this means.

I typed it into google and I’m assuming it’s not International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics.

• Upvote 3

Don't frequent the iphone threads then? :)

"I fucking got one"

Last one in Tesco as it happens.

Wonderful issue and I'm only in the 70s so far and had a skim through the rest.

Been a reader since issue 1 way back in the day and all the issues are spread around my house in at least 3 different rooms, 2 cupboards and some drawers. Keeps the wife from spying a whole pile and threatening to chuck them out.

Here's to the next 200.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Don't frequent the iphone threads then? :)

"I fucking got one"

Last one in Tesco as it happens.

Ah, that makes much more sense :lol:

Hope you enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Awesome issue - am up to the Atari stuff at the moment, which is very useful as I'm currently doing the prep work for getting Atari games running on Antstream, and I didn't really know a lot about the platform before as it's slightly before my time. Some really interesting looking 7800 stuff that I'm looking forward to checking out. 

I managed to find a copy! Remember I said that my town's WH Smiths haven't stocked RG for years? I poked around a few other local little newsagents and found it. I wouldn't bother reporting something so mundane, but the newsagent guy was interesting. He said, "Bet you couldn't find that anywhere else, could you? That's because I'm the only one who has it!" He seemed strangely proud that I'd bought it.

• Upvote 2

Just a reminder that issue 200 is now on sale. Do pick it up if you haven't yet, it really is a bit special.

• Upvote 1

I got mine when I picked up two of the switch games. Some of the text is really fucking small

Spoiler

8A3F41B2-E3B7-4D19-9159-9A467AE8A77E.thumb.jpeg.f6ea979fe5a524dd71b1b816fddaf0af.jpeg

or on odd coloured backgrounds 

Spoiler

270C5183-6E7C-4864-9EF7-A4F97CC895EE.thumb.jpeg.a6de85ccea8add7935343cde8ed89695.jpeg

I might have to use my varifocals...

Still not received mine yet. My subscription is always really late, I've had to email twice now over issues that were over three weeks in the shops and not delivered yet.

8 hours ago, SeanR said:

I got mine when I picked up two of the switch games. Some of the text is really fucking small

Hide contents

8A3F41B2-E3B7-4D19-9159-9A467AE8A77E.thumb.jpeg.f6ea979fe5a524dd71b1b816fddaf0af.jpeg

Hide contents

270C5183-6E7C-4864-9EF7-A4F97CC895EE.thumb.jpeg.a6de85ccea8add7935343cde8ed89695.jpeg

It’s funny you should say this because the reason I’ve got a pile of barely read RG specials (I don’t buy the monthlies) is I find the readability to be really poor. Especially if I’m reading in bed with low light. Your post has probably put me off buying this one because I now know I probably won’t end up reading much of it.

25 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

It’s funny you should say this because the reason I’ve got a pile of barely read RG specials (I don’t buy the monthlies) is I find the readability to be really poor. Especially if I’m reading in bed with low light. Your post has probably put me off buying this one because I now know I probably won’t end up reading much of it.

Can't you just nip to the loo and turn the light on for those bits? It's the 200th issue and quite a good one. Not what we usually get.

8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Can't you just nip to the loo and turn the light on for those bits? It's the 200th issue and quite a good one. Not what we usually get.

To be honest, because I make magazines for a living I’m a) pickier about these sort of issues and b) I read magazines far less every year.

If I’m in a Smiths that has it I’ll probably buy it but I’m not sure that is likely to happen without making an effort.

16 hours ago, SeanR said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Cheers for letting us know. We always try and make sure stuff like this is kept out. After all, if we've spent hours working on an issue we want people to be able to read it :)

• Upvote 1

Bought a copy the other day. Due to having an eight month old, I've not had time to open the magazine, but the Turrican CD has been on several times already!

Look forward to setting down to read the mag. Well done to all concerned.

• Upvote 1

@strider got issue 201 in the post yesterday and the back cover says it should come with a free copy of the ultimate guide to Nintendo magazine. But it wasn’t included in the packet, is this something subs miss out on?

43 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

@strider got issue 201 in the post yesterday and the back cover says it should come with a free copy of the ultimate guide to Nintendo magazine. But it wasn’t included in the packet, is this something subs miss out on?

Future have posted the digital edition on their issuu page. You can also get the print edition for free from the Nintendo store with the offer code 'nincat'

Incidentally, Nintendo Gamer just called and said it's the ultimate guide to the world of Nintendo. I have no idea how it got my number. Or can speak.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

You aren't missing much. It's basically an official sales booklet/pamphlet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

It should have been included. Trying to find out why some subs have it and some don’t.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ketchup said:

As others have said it's literally just a catalogue like you used to get in the olden days.  Nintendo sent me one direct.

Yeah, it's just propaganda, maaaannnn. 

Mine went straight in the recycling - I can dig it out and send it to you if you desperately want a Nintendo catalogue.

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah, it's just propaganda, maaaannnn. 

Mine went straight in the recycling - I can dig it out and send it to you if you desperately want a Nintendo catalogue.

Cheers but I ordered one free using the code above. Really just wanted it for the 10% code.

On 26/11/2019 at 10:18, Nathan Wind said:

Mine went straight in the recycling

As did mine, basically any advertising stuff that is stuffed in a magazine like this gets the same treatment. Such a waste of paper in my mind.

On 10/11/2019 at 19:51, strider said:

Just a reminder that issue 200 is now on sale. Do pick it up if you haven't yet, it really is a bit special.

Belated congratulations on a great issue. Brilliant Melon_bread poster, too (I won't @ him, I'm sure he reads this thread).

3 hours ago, elyuw said:

As did mine, basically any advertising stuff that is stuffed in a magazine like this gets the same treatment. Such a waste of paper in my mind.

But paid advertisements like that which keep magazines going. RG isn't a fanzine but owned by a business.. who want to make money.

50 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

But paid advertisements like that which keep magazines going. RG isn't a fanzine but owned by a business.. who want to make money.

They may well do, but I'm still not going to read any of them. I'd pay an extra xx pence a month on my Subscription not to have them if they are that reliant on the income.