rllmuk
strider

Retro Gamer Issue 200

Mine arrived today. It's great, thanks. It could be my hangover, but the games news from 2000s section seems to be missing? (It's my favourite bit!)

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, bplus said:

Mine arrived today. It's great, thanks. It could be my hangover, but the games news from 2000s section seems to be missing? (It's my favourite bit!)

It's not your hangover, we made a decision to take it out. We had to take a lot of usual stuff out in order to make the issue the way we have. Normal services will resume next issue.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, elyuw said:

Looking forward to getting my subs copy. 

Mine has now arrived, looks like a great issue @strider, thanks to you and your team for contining to produce such a great magazine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, strider said:

It's not your hangover, we made a decision to take it out. We had to take a lot of usual stuff out in order to make the issue the way we have. Normal services will resume next issue.

Fair enough! I'm not complaining :)

• Upvote 2

Absolutely. The editorial hopefully makes it a little clear that this is a one-off. We've always been asked about splitting the magazine into decades, so we thought we'd give it a try. 

There’s a little mention of a “From Bedrooms to Billions” Tv series (next to the screens shots on page 19) what’s that about? Never heard anything about that until i read it here. 

got my subscriber copy yesterday (was a bit worried as the website hadnt updated with it being sent etc) loving the cover even more so with it being the sub one had a quick skim through looking forward to getting stuck in

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

It was a film about the early days of home computer games. Google will probably give you all the answers you need.

No I know that, I backed all three of their films; Original, Amiga and Playstation on Kickstarter. But this captions says something like "images taken from the forthcoming From Bedrooms to Billions TV Series" as though they are developing something new.

6 hours ago, elyuw said:

No I know that, I backed all three of their films; Original, Amiga and Playstation on Kickstarter. But this captions says something like "images taken from the forthcoming From Bedrooms to Billions TV Series" as though they are developing something new.

Oh! Sorry, I missed that. 

Interesting if you are right. 

On 26/10/2019 at 13:21, strider said:

Absolutely. The editorial hopefully makes it a little clear that this is a one-off. We've always been asked about splitting the magazine into decades, so we thought we'd give it a try. 

I hope you don’t split the magazine up into sections in future. I like having an article about the Dreamcast next to an article about an 80s micro. It flows so nicely as it does now where as if you compartmentalise it then it’ll feel more rigid and personally make me less interested in those earlier articles.

Saying that really looking forward to this issue being a bit a different and having seen the cover it already looks fantastic! 

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

I hope you don’t split the magazine up into sections in future. I like having an article about the Dreamcast next to an article about an 80s micro. It flows so nicely as it does now where as if you compartmentalise it then it’ll feel more rigid and personally make me less interested in those earlier articles.

Saying that really looking forward to this issue being a bit a different and having seen the cover it already looks fantastic! 

It's a one-off. We wanted to do something big and grand so we thought "let's do an entire history of videogames". Splitting the mag seemed to be the best way to achieve this and highlight that it wasn't a usual issue.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, strider said:

It's a one-off. We wanted to do something big and grand so we thought "let's do an entire history of videogames". Splitting the mag seemed to be the best way to achieve this and highlight that it wasn't a usual issue.

Try doing a "history of retro gaming" some time. It's fun. 

But don’t let people download the whole magazine, start a service where you pedal alongside each individual yelling words from it at them because that’s more convenient or something. 

Actually, one of the things we did this issue was note how far the retro gaming scene has come in the last decade. The boom in mini consoles, the launches of services like Antstream, the emergence of FPGA-based clone hardware, and even some officially licensed releases of cartridges and peripherals for original hardware. Plus, there's all the books and things that have come from Kickstarter, and even the numerous indie games that have brought retro gaming design and aesthetics back to modern devices. It's definitely a good time to be a fan of times gone by, and we wanted to reflect that.

• Upvote 3

Finally finished the whole mag and can I just say this is an fantastic achievement @strider Not many can say they've been involved with something for so many issues and keep the quality up for so long. Been a subscriber on and off for years but always wind my way back to reading each issue, so much stuff this month and that CD freebie really hit the spot for me. Keep up the good work and here's to the next 200!

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

My local WH Smiths hasn't sold Retro Gamer for years, unfortunately. I'd like a hard copy of this... may have to explore further afield.

You can buy directly, but there may be a postage charge.