rllmuk
Harsin

Ubigeddon

Breakpoint is a great game, very few games are such polished coop experiences imo. Ignoring the woeful storyline, the exploration of the world and the core gameplay of invading a defended area and "doing something" is fantastic fun. You can absolutely stealth it, with friends, which is excellent. Then when something blows up, or you mate is spotted and it all goes loud you can defend each other and fight your way through.

The loot is just additional in Breakpoint, a head shot is a head shot whether it's a level 1 or level whatever gun. There is only one lesson (I think) Breakpoint should take from BoTW and that's just let me climb everywhere please!

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Ubisoft have been at the forefront of actively shilling purchases that allow you to skip/get through the game faster. That’s right, selling you a product then hoping you won’t want to play as much of said product so badly you’ll splash the cash for the privilege of skipping stuff/making the experience go by faster. That’s a fucked up business model.

• Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Ubisoft have been at the forefront of actively shilling purchases that allow you to skip/get through the game faster. That’s right, selling you a product then hoping you won’t want to play as much of said product so badly you’ll splash the cash for the privilege of skipping stuff/making the experience go by faster. That’s a fucked up business model.

Is this just experience multipliers or is there a specific example of skipping stuff?

Personally I’ve never felt the need to buy an experience multiplier, but it’s because it’s never on the cards for me. I don’t do microtransactions in any form. I do feel Odyssey has got too many filler sidequests but they’ve been adding much higher quality ones (for free) over time which fix it.  But there are others who never felt it was an issue. 

I don’t think they would be adding such large and high quality content packs to their games (including the tourist modes), if they didn’t want you to play them. 

My general feeling is that Ubisoft do this stuff because if they didn’t they’d be leaving money on the table in an increasingly competitive and difficult industry, but they’re a company that top to bottom seem to love video games and care about putting out quality ones. Obviously, other people’s overall impression might be different. 

• Upvote 2

I called ubi out on timesavers in assassin's creed odyssey a couple of years back on here and everyone was fine with it. Didn't affect the gameplay apparently, and as everyone was having a good time with the game it got brushed aside.

I was quite surprised by BotW's cribbing from the ubi tree - the towers being the most blatant. Then again I never drank that games cool aid. Ubi's issue is in business model, not gameplay. The greedy gaas grabbing has done far more damage to their games than map clutter. Unfortunately they are now the m&s of videogames and making themselves relevant again will be a challenge.

Botw though... It was a good game but fuck off if that's the bar for open world games in 2020 and beyond.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9
  • Empathy 1

I think they did really well with the change to AC with origins as they were getting really stale before that one. I've not tried odyssey yet though. 

Far cry 5 I finished but didn't bother with loads of the collecting because I realised I was basically playing it on autopilot because most of the missions outside of the weapons cache bits were pretty dull or the same outposts that were there since 3. I actually quite enjoyed the first person puzzles of the radio towers and the mountain climbing stuff too.

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread for 4 perhaps but an original tomb raider style treasure hunting/ spelunking type game could really be cool - physics based puzzles, maps with clues for treasure, selling on the stuff you find and almost making it like thief with a specific tunnel system/ mountain for "levels" I think would really work. 

Won't happen as they always have to have shooting but I can dream.

The timesavers are in theory not game affecting - if you are a completionist. I played through the most recent ACs that offered them, and if you do most of the side-quests then you keep pace with the level requirement for the main quest. Not sure how it shakes out if you just want to power through the main quest, it did seem like some sort of expectation grinding was built in - enter the timesaver!

I did also wonder, some of the side quests seemed to have a lot more work than usual - seemed to go on forever. I dunno if they were trying to make them more unique or actually trying to make them grindy to make people want to avoid them!

I've enjoyed the recent creed games, Odyssey is the best game I've played this year. I've avoided almost all of their other releases, not played a single Far Cry game since the 1st on the PC by Crysis. Got bored of the Division series part way through the 1st game & Wildlands was only enjoyable becuase playing anything with friends is fun.

Hopefully the poor performances of the recent releases will make them realise copy/paste does not work & gets repetetive & boring very quickly.

10 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I was quite surprised by BotW's cribbing from the ubi tree - the towers being the most blatant. Then again I never drank that games cool aid. Ubi's issue is in business model, not gameplay. The greedy gaas grabbing has done far more damage to their games than map clutter. Unfortunately they are now the m&s of videogames and making themselves relevant again will be a challenge.

Botw though... It was a good game but fuck off if that's the bar for open world games in 2020 and beyond.

What? The towers in BotW were an excellent way of encouraging exploration. I was genuinely sad when I lit the last one up.

• Upvote 1

I don’t really get most of Ubisoft’s games and they seem to have stopped making entries for the few games of theirs I thought were great. I’d really like a new Driver and a new 3D Rayman.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is this just experience multipliers or is there a specific example of example of skipping stuff?

Surely if you're paying extra money to boost your experience so you can just pass through the built in level gates for the main story, rather than doing the side missions that would lead to this naturally, then it’s inherent that you’re ponying up the dough to skip stuff?

53 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Surely if you're paying extra money to boost your experience so you can just pass through the built in level gates for the main story, rather than doing the side missions that would lead to this naturally, then it’s inherent that you’re ponying up the dough to skip stuff?

Yeah, if that's the reason you're doing it. I always use the free XP booster just to unlock abilities faster, though. I also missed out on the end game Trial of the Gods content the first few times because I wasn't at max level, so there are other reasons to do it.

Personally, I don't think there should be any level gates at all, but I've gone back and forth with people who think if there's no level gates attached to the side missions, then they're pointless. They want that sense of progression. I think if the sidequests are not interesting enough to keep you doing them just because they're fun and interesting, then they're not any more enjoyable because I'm getting some XP at the end.

And to be fair, I've hit walls in the game where I'm not a high enough level and it has forced me to go off and explore the world and I've found great things that I otherwise wouldn't have, so I think Ubisoft have a fine line to tread.

I feel the opposite way regarding the towers - they're largely vestigial in Odyssey. All they do is unlock fast travel points and marginally upgrade your Eagle. I used to like going to them as soon as I got to an area to unlock the map and get the lay of the land. Now they feel pointless to me and trekking up to them is just a chore I do so that I have a fast travel point in the area. I think they'd be more fun if they did lock map discovery behind them.

There are presumably technical reasons for the level locking as well. Enemy scaling came as a patch long after release for Origins, so it's probably not that easy to balance a game of this size if you can just go everywhere and do everything from the off.

I'm not so sure the level gates in Odyssey etc are money-driven. (I've played Odyssey, not Origins, and Odyssey has been the first AC game I've played since giving up partway through on AC3.)

It's a fucking massive game and the world is technically open from near the start. If you go to the higher areas at the start, you'll get destroyed. But I don't think that's about trying to get you to buy a microtransaction to accelerate XP progress. That's about the game steering you to where it wants you to go, and point you towards the next lump of tutorial-disguised-as-mission, or new mechanic or side character etc. What does feel unnecessary in AC Odyssey is the premium currency armour vendor. And then the presence of said premium currency seems to create a heap of other bullshit you can spend your money on. But I don't understand the appeal of the XP accelerator. If you're playing the game, you'll pop levels incredibly quickly anyway.

I think Ubisoft have issues they should have seen coming already and, indeed, have previously called out to themselves.

All their big games smell the same. They iterate in too small increments between versions. The content within a single game is spread incredibly thinly, and all the craft is in the game assets, not the mechanics.

And then, apparently, they're seeing issues on top of that in their online multiplayer. Selling a new v1.0 title is going to be a tough sell when people are so invested in the previous one. You can look across at Destiny to see that.

One thing I think they've maybe not noticed is that Clancyverse is not very attractive outside of the US. The Division is such a MAGA NRA wet dream that I don't think plays so well in Europe.

• Upvote 3

I don't think the XP boosters are in themselves a huge problem, because people in general seem to want long games. I mean, I don't personally, and it feels anecdotally like the tide is turning on this a bit, as a few years ago a game that was less than ten hours long would get absolutely slated on here and elsewhere for being too short. It feels a bit different now, probably because people on here are getting older and having less free time, but I still suspect that for game developers and publishers, the commercial incentive to make games longer so that they can sell boosters is much, much, less than the commercial incentive to make games longer because there's this ingrained idea that a long game is good.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scottcr said:

Everyone in Ubi needs to sit and play BOTW to completion...

They did which is why we have Assassin’s Creed Origins

41 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Then what about the level gating makes you feel they're money-driven? I was over levelled throughout Origins. 

It felt it was driving you to do a silly amount of identikit KILL ALL TEH BANDITS!!! mission, which started out fun then quickly became tedious, in order to be able to enjoy the more involved missions of the main story. Your mileage may vary.

But then why are they even selling these ‘timesavers' in the first place. I mean apply it to any other industry and imagine them asking customers to pay more to experience less and it sounds ridiculous. If you can’t be arsed to watch all of Avengers Endgame then pay extra on top of your purchase for a 2 disc pack that  also contains one of those YouTube synopsis videos. Maybe dine at a restaurant where you can pay extra to skip the first course.

• Upvote 2

Oh those chests you can only buy through real world money can fuck right off though. Or at the very least have an option to remove them from an already busy map. 

I'm not going to ever make a micro transaction for some equipment or costume and if I suddenly decide to, then let me switch it on in a settings menu or something. Obviously they would never do this as it's meant to be impulse purchase if you've got money to burn but it still fucks me off. 

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

It felt it was driving you to do a silly amount of identikit KILL ALL TEH BANDITS!!! mission, which started out fun then quickly became tedious, in order to be able to enjoy the more involved missions of the main story. Your mileage may vary.

But then why are they even selling these ‘timesavers' in the first place. I mean apply it to any other industry and imagine them asking customers to pay more to experience less and it sounds ridiculous. If you can’t be arsed to watch all of Avengers Endgame then pay extra on top of your purchase for a 2 disc pack that  also contains one of those YouTube synopsis videos. Maybe dine at a restaurant where you can pay extra to skip the first course.

Maybe you played a different game?

I actually felt the levelling system ruined it, in that from the first big area I was consistently 3-4 levels above the tasks I was completing, and as such I was over-levelled for everything.

The side quests were great too, don't know what you're talking about. Most of them had multiple steps, decent plot, and usually included some sort of curve-ball you couldn't see coming.

They weren't quite on the same level as the Witcher 3's side quests (but what is?) but they were clearly Witcher-inspired, and came really bloody close fairly often.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Maps littered with icons and a screen full of objectives are generally not much fun to play in my opinion. Most open world games aren't much good, imo. 

Someone called them "shopping list games" when I spoke about it a while back and I think that's about right. It's a chore to navigate to spot A, perform task 5 then go to spot B and do another of task 3 and on and on. 

It's why most open world games aren't much fun for me. Travelling somewhere for 5 minutes to do a 2 minute objective that relies on AI reacting to your arrival often feels like a shallow experience. ...The actual bit you play when you arrive isn't very exciting. 

If we had more focus on fun and less on ticking things off, games would have to be designed differently, I assume. If an entire game was a series of ubisofts assaults on strongholds (or whatever they call arriving at a wasteland and killing patroling guards who will call in reinforcements half way through) they'd have to be better. Put those into an open world game and they might be one of the best bits. ...if that's the case, surely the game can't be all that good? That's hidden by loot, ranking up and daily challenges. As noted above, a second job doesn't sound like much fun. 

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins now and it's absolutely overdone with this stuff. The core combat is solid. It controls fine and all works ok but it's just a grind to make progress. 

The next story missions are many levels above me already and the side missions I need to do are so boring. 

7 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I also think some people might take issue with the contention that what is wrong with the latest GR is too much half-arsed gameplay innovation.

Fixed

2 hours ago, b00dles said:

Oh those chests you can only buy through real world money can fuck right off though. Or at the very least have an option to remove them from an already busy map. 

In Origins? What chests?

28 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins now and it's absolutely overdone with this stuff. The core combat is solid. It controls fine and all works ok but it's just a grind to make progress. 

The next story missions are many levels above me already and the side missions I need to do are so boring. 

I haven’t done any grinding in ACO either. Although I did 100% it, but that was after doing all the story. Enjoyed the whole game.