Lonely Mountains: Downhill - The best mountain bike game

2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

The only thing I'm not sure about so far is the way new bikes are unlocked. Breaking bikes up into parts to unlock, and spreading them out across challenges on so many different trails, delays the opportunity to experiment with new bikes longer than I'd like. I keep spotting shortcuts on the trails that my Grasshopper has no chance of navigating (offroad sections or huge jumps, mostly) and it's a bit annoying having to move on without taking advantage of these alternative routes.

Other than that, this is my new favourite game. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw it on Game Pass.

Totally agree about the slow unlocking of bikes - it's such a weird choice and my least favourite aspect. Same with unlocking new mountains and trails. When games like Celeste have shown how easy it is to make content accessible for everyone, yet still make challenge rewarding, why wouldn't you copy it?

This Partbreaker bike is absolutely shite, what the hell. You barely graze a stone on the ground and you're thrown off your bike. And the challenge specific to this bike is to crash no more than six times and do it in the fastest time yet. What! :lol:

13 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Like, really amazing. Why is this thread only two pages long?

game released in November, which is busy anyway; game released on PC and Xbox, which limits the audience in this forum where everyone only seems to play indie games on switch.

(it may have released on PS4, but I can’t remember the last discussion about indie games on PS4 given it doesn’t have the benefit of gamespass).

Thanks forum. Completely passed me by, but lucky timing and bored Sunday afternoon equals purchase, and so glad I did. This is very very nice. 

Feels very satisfying to play, it controls almost exactly how I want, and it has a very nice relaxed vibe. 

• 2 months later...

Just picked this up on switch and it’s pretty good!

The two control options (well, 3 if you count inverted) feel exactly the same to me.

Theres ‘Left/Right controls’ and ‘Screenbased controls’

Turning left on the stick makes your rider turn left and the same for right, regardless of control scheme selected and rider position to the camera. You’d think with the second one the controls would change as the viewpoint shifted, right?

Am I missing something?

10 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Just picked this up on switch and it’s pretty good!

The two control options (well, 3 if you count inverted) feel exactly the same to me.

Theres ‘Left/Right controls’ and ‘Screenbased controls’

Turning left on the stick makes your rider turn left and the same for right, regardless of control scheme selected and rider position to the camera. You’d think with the second one the controls would change as the viewpoint shifted, right?

Am I missing something?

There is a bug that means you need to restart the game (exit to Switch) and restart to get the control change. 

Well this is just bloody marvellous. The controls are so comfortable and natural I barely need to think about them. It almost feels like this is the fourth instalment of a franchise I’ve played to death, the controls are so intuitive.

47 minutes ago, massivecanvas said:

the nintendolife review mentions performance issues - but other reviews don't (on Switch) - anyone care to comment?

The shadows often look a bit rubbish and occasionally pop in. On very rare occasions there’s a small stutter. Other than that it’s been smooth as silk for me. 

30 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Well this is just bloody marvellous. The controls are so comfortable and natural I barely need to think about them. It almost feels like this is the fourth instalment of a franchise I’ve played to death, the controls are so intuitive.

The shadows often look a bit rubbish and occasionally pop in. On very rare occasions there’s a small stutter. Other than that it’s been smooth as silk for me. 

ah good, thanks. i'll buy it then!

Yep. I put an hour or so into it earlier and I've experienced no issues. I'm on the second mountain now and it's just as lovely as I remembered. :wub:

oh, the control thing confused me too. Glad I can sort that then.

As a keen mtb'er I'm dismayed at the encouragement of evil strava lines, but the game is good fun :) 

Has anyone played it handheld yet? Really enjoying this on the xbox but if I got it on switch it would be to play in bed! Just a bit worried it will be hard to see all the detail of obstacles on the small screen. 

Having done the first mountain's intro and first two challenges that way, it seemed fine to me. The minimal polygon style makes everything easy to make out.

I’ve switched from the L/R control scheme to the screen based controls.

I think decades of playing top-down racers means that I can subconsciously put myself in the game’s avatar making the L/R scheme completely natural for me.

The screen based controls should be simpler but my brain keeps flipping back to what it knows.

I’m finding the key is to continuously push the control stick to the rim in the direction I want to go, and roll it around, rather than jerking it to the left and right. The end is result is a much smoother ride. Although I am finding it to be a little more work. No more gentle coasting down a straight, my thumb has to be working constantly.

Anyway, I’ve just unlocked the third mountain and I’m loving it. Occasionally I’ll spend dozens and dozens of tries attempting a particularly ambitious shortcut. And I don’t get frustrated with it as it all seems so outrageous.

How has this game not got an option to save a video of your run?

I’d never ordinarily look at this type of game but Bradigor’s review intrigued me. 

got it today and it’s absolutely tremendous. 

It's a magical game.

Although I do wish there were some cheats or something, because I don't really want to grind courses to unlock the bikes that can handle longer drops more easily. I'm on the fourth mountain with the starter bike and it's quite frustrating now.

Ha Ha, night mode is terrifying!

2 minutes ago, PK said:

It's a magical game.

Although I do wish there were some cheats or something, because I don't really want to grind courses to unlock the bikes that can handle longer drops more easily. I'm on the fourth mountain with the starter bike and it's quite frustrating now.

How? You only need six pieces to unlock the Trailblazer and that’s significantly tougher than the Grasshopper.

17 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

How?

Well, it's certainly not because I thought it cost 14 parts rather than 4

Set my boy playing this while I got on with some painting (sigh) today, he immediately hucked it off a colossal shortcut I’d not spotted, and survived. Then he spent about 45 minutes cackling and launching the rider to grisly deaths before going back to Animal Crossing. 

Loving this right now. 

placed 123 globally for the free rider challenge on the first mountain. 

last night I did the third trail on the second mountain & noticed I was 3 globally for one of the stages in the third trail. Quite chuffed with that. 

I’ve not really been into score attack games or bike games. Playing this reminds of the old days playing NiGHTS Into Dreams and checking the top scores in C&VG or the official Saturn magazine. 

I love the way the ranking system breaks it down by section, helps you see which sections you could definitely improve in to go for those expert times.

I assume unlocking each bike in order as soon as I can afford them is a fine? Or will I regret not getting a certain one?

"Double dipped" on this, as the kids say. I can't play the PS4 version anymore due to lockdown turning the living room into my landlord's partner's office (!!). Nice to return to it.

I'm quite good at this game (detailed above), so I've tasked myself to complete every available challenge with the bog-standard bike before unlocking any others. Mountain 3 down, so I'm 75% through that. After that, all the bike-specific challenges, then using fave bikes to compete for serious speedruns. I'm tweaking my online usernames for boring reasons, so look out for JDMHEXAGON - I hope to be atop your lists very soon. ^_^

Always love a game that works while listening to a podcast - no text cues or important music. Picross, Tetris 99 are other Switch examples.

Query: I saw that the Switch version has changed the Part Unlock system, so you can unlock any bike by completing enough challenges, which was a big improvement. Can anyone tell me if that's also been applied to the other versions?

The Switch version also tracks which bike you have completed each trail with - that would have been helpful for me a few months ago too, but I'm not bitter!