Lonely Mountains: Downhill - The best mountain bike game

Didn't like it. Far too easy to clip a bit of scenery and crash thanks to the controls. I realise that the point is Git Gud but I definitely preferred Descenders for my downhill MTB action even though it doesn't look as pretty. 

The selecting of challenges is due to the game getting you to do an exploration run first, the idea being that you get crashing out of your system whilst looking for shortcuts, cant see why thats a problem myself. Actually, I prefer that initial run down a mountain (I've unlocked the second) and wish progression wasn't so heavily tied to the challenges as I'm mostly finding it difficult to beat any time based challenge.

This is kind of nice and kind of irritating at the same time. Shortcuts I rarely notice until I've passed them as the tells that it may or may not be one are very minimal, and I guess the intention is to learn a path but often you have to pick your way down the unfamiliarity and danger of them so it's difficult to know if it's actually worth the risk or not. Some sort of minimap, overview, or an actual map that you fill in as you find every route and shortcut would be nice just so you can plan an effective route or at least track where you went. Or like a zoomed out overview controllable replay of your run. That sort of thing might lead to one "best" path for the best time, but there seems to be enough variety in route choice for multiple routes to be viable (reminds me of Pure in a way, that, where there wasn't always a definitively optimal route but there were plenty of options regardless). I'd like to know what exactly made a difference to that checkpoint time vs a previous run, that sort of thing. 

Also I've not checked in much detail, but can you view replays of others runs? 

tried this again and something in the control clicked, I couldn't go straight the other day now can go down the hill much more rapidly and in direction I want

something about the camera still makes me feel very motion sick though.

Tried it last night. I liked it but then I read this thread. FFS. You people. Is every game thread just bursting with petty critique these days ?

I'm not asking for 100% positivity but it's really getting frustrating seeing this place become a 90% moan and groan about every game. 

Cheer up you lot. Games are great.

The ever ironic moaning about moaning. I don't see anyone saying games are rubbish,  I just have too many to play and don't have the time to spend on one's that aren't doing it for me. Glad you love it though, plenty do in this thread if you have a good old read through. 

I'm really enjoying this, it's grabbed my attention far more than I expected. I keep going back to it to unlock more stuff. Up to the fourth mountain now and really loving it.

I'm not generally a fan of time trial games (I find Trials more frustrating than fun for example) but the way the courses are broken up into checkpoints really makes this fun. You can work on a small section, really try and shave those seconds off your time before moving onto the next. Then there's the suspense of finding out at the end if everything adds up to the time you needed.

The physics and the handling are on point and the low-poly look combined with the gorgeous colour palette makes it a very distinctive-looking game.

I haven't found any of the rest areas yet though, I'm starting to think they don't exist. And god knows when you actually unlock any other bikes.

I've added a few games to my wishlist recently, but this is the one that piqued my interest the most because I love a game where control is the main challenge, so I took a punt. I love it! I switched straight to rider control without even trying screen-based - that would be madness. I've just had 3 runs so far - the one you have to do without challenges, then I finished the limited crashes challenge first go, then I just missed the 3.00 time limit by a couple of seconds. But there was so much room for improvement there - so many potential shortcuts I glimpsed, so many places where I could have sprinted, etc.

The controls and feedback are what make it - sprinting like a mad thing on a bit you've managed to remember, before jamming the anchors on to scrape round the corner you forgot about - it just feels lovely and tactile.

Lovely little game, can't wait to jump back in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 16:31, Garwoofoo said:

You can work on a small section, really try and shave those seconds off your time before moving onto the next.

i played this a bit when it first came out but didn't really get it, thought it played like trials (the clock is always ticking) so thought the checkpoints were far too far apart, any mess up and the chalenge times would be nearly impossible. went back to it with new knowledge as quoted and it makes a lot more sense, so enjoying it a lot more. unlocked all the courses now and done most of the beginner challenges. 

• 2 months later...

Picked this up about a week ago, and I'm now sad I missed it for the GOTY voting. It's bloody gorgeous. The big triumph is how it looks, sounds and feels - I haven't been on a mountain bike for 15 years, but the feeling of jumping, braking, bolting down a hill just feels right.

@Garwoofoo the rest areas are kind of inconsistently difficult to find, and I only got a few before resorting to Youtube. Exploring sections to find shortcuts is fun: exploring an entire level to find your cleverly hidden rest area is not.

My favourite is going for crashless runs - as soon as there are fiddly obstacles like a jump or a log crossing it becomes utterly tense. The speed challenges are fun and I love picking out an insane route that only works if you get lucky, but for me they are interludes to the slow, calm grind of Not Dying On This Bit.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go after 100% on this one. Wish me luck!

I loved this too. The handling felt spot on. Unlocking a new trail or mountain by beating the target time because you found an awesome shortcut is such a buzz.

That said, once I’d unlocked all the tracks I felt no real drive to go back for all the challenges, as I lack the skills to do that. Perfect for Game Pass though.

Oh god, just completely mind-gamed myself on a challenge.

Spoiler

Trail 3-4 in night mode: after the first run, the challenge is to finish with 25 crashes or fewer. First try, I do it without crashing. "Balls," I think, because I know what's next, "I've just wasted a good run."

Sure enough, on the Free Ride mode, the extra tension of not being allowed to crash kicks in. Took well over 20 goes to make it down in once piece.

Still loving this, although experiencing framerate drops which are absolutely heart-stopping. Pretty shoddy especially in a game like this!

• 2 weeks later...

That's the Platinum trophy then. 0.3% of players, apparently. And as the storm raged this afternoon, I started trying for speed on the late-game challenges - managed #4 in the world on one track, out of the select 50 or so who've posted a time. Folks, I think I'm decent at this game!

Been an absolute pleasure the whole way, and I can see myself buying the Switch port too, just for the portability.

Boar is best bike. Best trail? Too hard to choose! :wub:

I’ve unlocked every track in this as well as a few bike bits and campgrounds etc but my Achievements for the game are still showing at 0%. Not really that arsed, but is this a bug or a regular XBL glitch? Any simple way to force them to be recognised?

The only thing I'm not sure about so far is the way new bikes are unlocked. Breaking bikes up into parts to unlock, and spreading them out across challenges on so many different trails, delays the opportunity to experiment with new bikes longer than I'd like. I keep spotting shortcuts on the trails that my Grasshopper has no chance of navigating (offroad sections or huge jumps, mostly) and it's a bit annoying having to move on without taking advantage of these alternative routes.

Other than that, this is my new favourite game. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw it on Game Pass.

9 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Like, really amazing. Why is this thread only two pages long?

Just doesn't appeal to all I guess and didn't get the cult following of games like goose game. It's also the type of game that people will not play without word of mouth. The aesthetic doesn't appeal to the average rllmuker who is more accustomed to third person action adventures.

I still enjoy this as a casual, drop in for an hour experience. It absolutely shines as a backseat, couch co-op game. Playing it with my daughter, her telling me where to go and me attempting the execution.

It really depends on which machine a game is exclusive to at launch, or if it ends up on Switch. Xbox games and gamepass don't hold any exclusivity bonus which makes a game unique to any platform and thusly something to rub in the faces of other platform owners who cannot play them even when deserving of such praise . See the  over praising of  Goose game, Hellblade and Rocket League when they first came out and had so much fuss made over them. 

cynical/10