rllmuk
BeeJay

Lonely Mountains: Downhill - The best mountain bike game

Links would have been nice. Some pictures wouldn’t hurt either for those of us who can’t read and need that sort of stimulation. I’ll go back to my colouring book and wait for you to update the thread while I pretend google doesn’t exist. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

Links would have been nice. Some pictures wouldn’t hurt either for those of us who can’t read and need that sort of stimulation. I’ll go back to my colouring book and wait for you to update the thread while I pretend google doesn’t be exist. 

I'll get right on to it boss, cheque is in the post I assume? Overtime rate, maybe double time?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, BeeJay said:

I'll get right on to it boss, cheque is in the post I assume? Overtime rate, maybe double time?

I think you should do it for the exposure. People will be looking forward to your future threads! The time is now!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I was joking by the way. But double time should cover it. 

This looks pretty good cheers for the heads up - I think it is out on the PC as well?

Although the best push bike game is clearly 

• Upvote 1

Normally I’m not into this kinda of game but I’ve been mountain biking a lot on trails recently and it’s suddenly sparking my attention. I know only too well of the pitfalls and dangers of it and that second half of the video humorously covered what can potentially happen.

I know two people who’ve both had pins and casts to fix their hands this year and there’s footage of me going flying at Gizburn forest while riding over a small river. 

Might actually get this. 

• Upvote 1

I want to like it but the camera positioning is winding me right up.

It's not great only being able to see 10-15 metres in front of the rider due to the fixed camera position as that leads to a really tentative approach when, really, I'd like to just be able to let rip and swoosh down the hill once in a while. I have lost way too many lives crashing into things I thought I was missing as it's not possible to see exactly where the bike is pointing or is lined up, along with lives lost due to losing sight of the bike behind trees, etc. The rare moments when the camera pulls back or is even is positioned behind the rider are far more enjoyable and allows one to actually push on whilst being able to see what it coming up.

The crappy camera is really irritating as the controls feel pretty good and, aside from the shit and unnecessary depth of field effect, it looks great so there is the core of a good game there.

Decent enough for Game Pass though I suppose.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

The controls are fucking hideous - I've tried both methods and feel they are clicking a little then suddenly I veer off in totally the opposite direction to that intended. 

I kept getting little fleeting moments of 'aha its clicking' and it felt lovely, then I'd smash into something whilst I thought the controller was pointing the opposite way.

That and the weird camera with unnecessary tilt shift effect has made me feel a bit motion sick.

£15 I won't get back on PSN. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

It's brilliant, especially when you get to know all the shortcuts.

In terms of satisfaction of execution, this game is absolutely top notch. I've found so many different routes and options without even trying, just due to the different speeds and lines that I'm taking. And when you nail a section, it just feels amazing.

I can understand some of concerns posted here about the fixed camera. It would be a totally different game without fixed camera. They clearly chose that and the game is heavily inspired by top down racers like micro machines and super off road. The handling feels very inspired by super off road. I think the camera angles add to the experience, not detract from it and again, feels more aligned with real downhill biking. Most of the time you can't see the track any more than 10 foot ahead and have to rely on practice and memory as well as being able to react to every scenario.

EDIT: One thing that I was worried about the camera angle was requiring a certain speed to navigate an off screen jump. This is something that happens in trials rising all of the time and has always annoyed me (partly why I much prefer the technical, higher difficulty tracks). In this, I've yet to come across a single jump that cannot be overcome from a stationary position with the jump on screen. Of course, that may change later on but I hope not.

• Upvote 2

I think its great if people like this, Im just disappointed in the feel of the game, especially compared to Descenders. While far from perfect, that game feels great and is great fun to play.

This is more like a case study of mountainbiking by some art students who have no idea what makes a good videogame.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed my first hour with the game, the first mountain trail has loads of shortcuts which will make time trialling fun. Of course leaderboard implementation is critical to a game like this and they seem to have every option covered including sectors as well as the full trails. 

I also found the controls to be really easy to get on with in rider perspective mode, after all it's just a fancy version of Super Sprint at heart, right?

25 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

I really enjoyed my first hour with the game, the first mountain trail has loads of shortcuts which will make time trialling fun. Of course leaderboard implementation is critical to a game like this and they seem to have every option covered including sectors as well as the full trails. 

I also found the controls to be really easy to get on with in rider perspective mode, after all it's just a fancy version of Super Sprint at heart, right?

The leaderboard implementation is very good but I wish a few more people were playing. Although it's good for the ego.

This feels great. I found screen space controls too weird, but “left right” seems the right side of controllable. And the fixed camera is clearly a significant design choice otherwise you’d just be flat out all the time.

10 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Cannot seem to find this through the dashboard either by the Game Pass tab or even searching for it.

I had to search the store.

1 hour ago, sofasurfer said:

Cannot seem to find this through the dashboard either by the Game Pass tab or even searching for it.

Have you done a main store search? That's how I found it. It wasn't showing on game pass or game pass search.

The Eurogamer review of this piqued my interest. Looks like fun to me. There's a similar-ish game called Pumped BMX (which, somewhat confusing, is more of a downhill mountain biking game than a BMX one) I played a couple of years ago on PS Plus that I enjoyed, so I might give this a go.

Where's the Switch port though, amirite?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, footle said:

This feels great. I found screen space controls too weird, but “left right” seems the right side of controllable. And the fixed camera is clearly a significant design choice otherwise you’d just be flat out all the time.

having played further (first four tracks, mountain one; beginner challenges, one expert; one track, mountain two) it’s definitely set up for hitting ridiculous times via a very risky strategy.

i don’t know that it’d work on switch (out of the dock): I feel everything would be too compressed - similarly Apple Arcade and an iPad.

1 hour ago, footle said:

I had to search the store.

28 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Have you done a main store search? That's how I found it. It wasn't showing on game pass or game pass search.

Cheers, I’ll give it a go later 

This is pretty good! Managed to get round the first course without crashing or braking and now I feel like an expert. I'm sure that'll last about 5 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't realise this was hitting Gamepass today and missed the 30 minute window I had to play it.  I will say though, having a download that takes less than a minute is always appreciated.

This is both somehow calming and infuriating at the same time. The ambient noise adds to the former feeling and I think I prefer the first run down a trial when you haven't got to try and beat a time (I've not beaten any times yet). It reminds me of Motorstorm RC, mostly because of the viewpoint and possible because I had to change the controls from the default to "left/right" or whatever they've labelled it.

It's very different to Descenders that's for sure.

Had a couple of shots of this and I can't say I'm impressed. The camera angle is awful and frequently causes crashes. The game is buggy with my biker falling through a solid surface to his death for no reason and those checkpoints are far too infrequent. 

Also the menu is a mess in relation to the challenges. I got down the first track without a crash, thinking I'd get the challenge passed, only to discover that I would have had to select it first. 

Yeah, selecting the challenges does seem a bit weird, although it does warn you when you don’t have any selected. I’ve only been focusing on the first mountain so far, but haven’t seen any issues. Some of the shortcuts are great. Really like it so far.