rllmuk
Luck

The SINGLE most amazing game you've ever played is...

Great thread. For me, I'm not saying these are the best in their field as games and genres have obviously improved, but these were the ones I sank hours and hours into and therefore hold a very special place in my heart. All of these have seen me struggle through work with very little sleep the night before, talking to friends about the smallest details and - in the case of SoR2, Halo and SoT - discovering how much bloody fun it is playing with other people.

In chronological order:

1. Streets of Rage 2

2. Super Mario 64

3. Halo

4. Skyrim 

5. Sea of Thieves

• Upvote 1

How in the hell has no one mentioned Last Of Us?!?!?

I get that it's a subjective thing, but Last Of Us objectively has the best ending to a game, ever. Period.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Give it a decent frame rate?

Well considering it didn't impact my enjoyment for over 500 hours of gameplay, I wont be putting a better frame rate at the top of my priority for the sequel.

Discussing the frame rate when talking about BOTW is like worrying about a single grain of salt in the sea!

• Upvote 1

That's such a tough question. But probably Bloodborne for me. Amazing level and encounter design, stellar bosses (especially in the DLC), strong art direction and music and incredible lore. I'm so obsessed with Bloodborne that I bought Hunter and Lady Maria figures that cost me well over a thousand Euro combined.

My current top 5 is probably:
Bloodborne
Majora's Mask
Resident Evil 4
Ninja Gaiden Black
Super Metroid

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

How in the hell has no one mentioned Last Of Us?!?!?

I get that it's a subjective thing, but Last Of Us objectively has the best ending to a game, ever. Period.

It’s a remarkable game in many ways, but it was also a game I would have a hard time playing through again any time soon. It’s such an emotionally gruelling game, that I felt it had done its job perfectly.

Mario 3 on the SuperFamicom.

When it came out it was soooo far ahead of any other game I'd played in terms of game design, ambition, scope, consistency of vision, etc.  Mind blowing.

There have been plenty of better games since, but no game amazed me as much when it launched, or was so far ahead of any competition.  Except maybe Mario 64.

• Upvote 5

These have been the times when I've said "This is the best game EVER!":

Bayonetta '18+
Breath of the Wild '17+

Perfect Dark '01+

Link to the Past '93+

• Upvote 1

Probably Mario 3 for me as well, playing on my Japanese mate's famicom in junior school, when he showed me the 'falling behind the scenery ' trick my flabber was truly gasted.

Viewtiful Joe

1980s aesthetic crossed with 1990s postmodernism and groundbreaking cinematic techniques smack you around the head until you begin to see The Matrix - and when you do its the most rewarding videogame experience ever.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Well considering it didn't impact my enjoyment for over 500 hours of gameplay, I wont be putting a better frame rate at the top of my priority for the sequel.

Discussing the frame rate when talking about BOTW is like worrying about a single grain of salt in the sea!

Yes, it doesn’t really matter in that game, but 60fps would improve it, so it’s one of the few options you’d have to do so. 

On 20/10/2019 at 07:30, Vespa Alex said:

I think I have to go with the Atari Star Wars Coin op from 1983 for similar reasons. 

For a ten year old, that control yoke in a sit down cab were just totally mind blowing. 

Seconded, but slightly older.

Breath of the Wild is incredible, but in terms of impact it has to be Resi 4 for me. One of the most perfectly paced games ever made, with such variety in encounter design, brilliant weapons, and fantastic, thrilling set-pieces. I remember feeling a mixture of awe and sadness when it was over, convinced I'd played the best game of my life. 

The most amazing *moment*, though, has to be Area X in Rez Infinite. It helped that it was one of my first VR experiences, and the main game alone was a revelation in VR. Then you unlock that final stage and, well, wow. I genuinely felt quite overwhelmed by it – I had goosebumps all over, and was close to tears when I finally took the headset off. Magical. 

• Upvote 4

Some lovely choices in this thread.

I think the standout for me has to be Metroid Prime. I'd drifted away from console games for a few years, and booting that up in the dark on a big CRT TV felt like the future. I just couldn't believe the amount of detail they'd put into the world.

Quake, Deus Ex, RE4, BOTW are obvious biggies as well - it's a small thing, but I'm not *quite* as blown away by BOTW because the story conceit (of it being basically a post apocalyptic world with a few small enclaves of civilisation) meant there were fewer well written characters to care about compared to a text-heavy RPG, but then Zelda has always been about going out into the wilderness and exploring rather than that stuff.

Weirdly, the two games that immediately came to mind when I saw this topic were Contra 3 and Dungeon Keeper. The former still just feels so ridiculously over the top; the latter was at that point where Molyneux & co. had started playing the best Japanese games of the time and started trying to cram a million secrets and interactions into everything. (Black & White taking the approach even further.)

• Upvote 1