rllmuk
Luck

The SINGLE most amazing game you've ever played is...

Theres a lot to list. This may even be the wrong answer for me eventually!

But i choose Oblivion ( Elder Scrolls ) 

Skyrim is up there of course but Oblivion is the start of this style.

Theres just so much to love :)

• Upvote 1

Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge, Tour Of Egypt 3v3 multiplayer map.

Played for YEARS with my best mate. Every Saturday evening, voice chat over MSN Messenger. A bottle of JD's on an optic on my desk, an ice machine keeping me stocked with ice.

Good times.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Pug said:

Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge, Tour Of Egypt 3v3 multiplayer map.

Played for YEARS with my best mate. Every Saturday evening, voice chat over MSN Messenger. A bottle of JD's on an optic on my desk, an ice machine keeping me stocked with ice.

Good times.

This is also a good shout. 

Loved RA2. 

Arguably the only game ive played the multiplayer on. 

• Upvote 1

Well, Ridge Racer V I guess. I just absolutely adore everything, the sound, the menu design, the art design and the lighting in particular.

Not to mention the handling model is varied and magnificent and it contains my favourite racing circuit in any game. 

I never get bored of it. Sometimes I just load it up to watch the demo.

• Upvote 5

Just completed SuperHOT on the quest. One of the biggest woo hoo moments of my gaming life. Jumped straight into endless mode got all John Woo on crack and got killed by an enemy with a point blank bullet in the face from the one direction I'd failed to look. Pants were nearly shat.

Mindblowing experience.

• Upvote 2

Is most amazing different from your best, or are they one and the same? Is most replay-able better than your most fondly remembered?

For example, the best memory I have playing through a game is tied up somewhere between Half Life 2, Resident Evil 4 and Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion. But all 3 are games where I’ve felt diminishing returns upon each subsequent play through as the secrets are exploited.

Multiplayer brings up some excellent memories, whether it’s me and my Brother @Malcplaying Halo, Perfect Dark, Modern Warfare 2 and Pro Evo Soccer 2 over countless years. Friends playing 1 map on Operation Flashpoint over 4 years (Seriously, just 1 map) and finally completing it. But those games were special not just with the software, but because of the family and friends playing them with you.

Arcade and racing games elicits my most nostalgic with Sega Rally, Ridge Racer Type 4, Time Crisis, F355 Challenge all making my heart glow but I’m not sure how much I get from them now when I can play Project Cars II or Forza 7.

Amazing reminds me of playing Mario 64 for the first time, or swan diving off a ledge into water in Tomb Raider, playing Quake online, experiencing Mario 3D Land in 3D, games that had a real wow on first play and after.

Hmm, I might still have to say Tomb Raider. Stunned me on first play, I’ve revisited it countless times over the years as no one other game replicated Lara’s first outing in the same way; Lonely atmosphere, hauntingly beautiful music, considered controls and sense of exploration. Discovering a stunning PC Mod recently (Full wide screen ratio, high resolution compatibility and a host of fixes) made me feel the game still stands high.

Yep, Tomb Raider is my choice of my most amazing game.

• Upvote 3

It’s not the best game, or even one of my favourites. It’s not even in a genre I play all that much, and there are far better games like it. But, when I first saw footage of Sega Rally on the Saturn (it was on a VHS tape that came with Sega Power or something) I was utterly blown away.

It was photorealistic (it wasn’t, but it seemed it then), it had someone shouting “Long easy right, maybe!”, and it had GAME OVER, YEAH!! It was incredible, as such a massive step up from what came before.

We have never had a tech jump so big since.

• Upvote 7

Super Mario 64 for me as well. Just a complete joy and for once the hype didn't come close to actually getting my hands on an N64 and playing it.

Still I game I love to pick up and mess about it now, it's just amazingly special at how much it got so right that very little had even attempted before.

• Upvote 1

Ocarina of Time probably.

When I got my N64 I was still a bit of a Sega fan, so I didn't get SM64 for it. Instead I got Goldeneye and Star Fox 64, and OoT a few months later. Completely blew me away, and suddenly I was no longer a Sega fanboy. The fickleness of youth.

• Upvote 1

Metal Gear Solid.

Now Super Mario World and LttP are up there cos I played these with the wild eyed wonderment of a child, but once I went to college games went ignored for a good 3 or 4 years pretty much. Then in 1999 I house sat for a friend and decided to rent a PS1 and one of the games that came with it was MGS. The first time I tried it I gave up after about 45 minutes and went to the pub. I was shit. It was too complicated, and I just couldn't grasp the stealth element. Next day I sat down a little hung over and it just clicked. Completed the entire game in one mammoth and glorious day and it was revelationary. So many stand out moments that I know I don't need to mention here. My little mind was blown and as clichéd and tragic as it sounds, that's when the gamer in me was born. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I read the thread title and decided to reply before reading any posts and my gut instinct is Ocarina of Time. 

Equally due, I’m certain, to the singular achievement that the game is and my age at the time, I don’t think the impact that it had can ever be superseded - not by Breath of the Wild, Astrobot, Hollow Knight, not by anything. It’s my gaming Jurassic Park. 

Sorry can’t choose one. 

So It’s a toss between Rez and in particular Area X in VR for the first time and Ouendan just for Over the Distance and using Blues wooden stylus. Or Rock band with 4 people and just killing it. 

Some of the most impactful and emotional experiences gaming.

• Upvote 1

Halo. Freeform battles that played out differently every time you played it and were always sublime, especially on Legendary. Never been beaten.

• Upvote 4

RE4, MGS3, FFXI. 

I cannot decide

Throw in Metroid Prime as well. 

Seems like it been a while since I’ve been wow-ed.  :(

Oh God, single game.  Single game.  So many years.....

It has to be Outrun 2.  No, Astrobot. No, Burnout 2. No, Ridge Racer.  Aw fuck it.  All those four.

Really?  Only allowed one?

Astrobot.  Got to be. Puts a smile on your face for the entire duration.  Absolutely magnificent and something every PS4 owner should play, even if you have to pick up a cheap VR headset from Facebook Marketplace to do so.    

• Upvote 3

Breath of the Wild, no question.

We so freely apply genre labels like "Adventure" and "Open World" to games that it's shocking when something comes along which genuinely is those things.

The sheer balls on Nintendo for making everything in the game after the intro section optional but designing a world that constantly rewards curiousity and naturally leads you to the things it has for you to do... if you want. It's magic.

• Upvote 7

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

For the same reasons as NO's post above about Zelda BoTW, only with even more freedom to play however you want to play, do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it. 

• Empathy 1

I have lots of fond memories of games that really opened by eyes, but I have to give it to one game which has stolen around 1500 hours of my life and continues to amaze me with its depth and skill ceiling. Yes, it’s not the game it was, it’s an ever changing meta that massively alters how the game feels and I no longer love it the way I used to. That said anything that can leave you feeling like there it almost no limit to the depth and no limit to the skill ceiling, on top of all the other amazing things the game achieved. Overwatch :wub:

A few others previously mentioned Elder Scrolls, but it would have to be Morrowind for me. A game world that seemed so genuinely other worldly and fully realised. An engaging, unctuous, mesmerising game which fully transported me to a vast environment unlike anything I’d witnessed before. Full of wonder and magic. 

I’m an absolute sucker for that Bethesda RPG approach and so Fallout 3 was the game I’d never known that I’d always been waiting for. Lost hundreds of hours in the wasteland and one of those media products that I’m envious of others trying for the first time. 

• Upvote 1