rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Children of Morta - Roguelite with a story

Has anyone else given Children of Morta a try? I heard Jim Sterling rave about it, took a look and bought it. It's a beautiful pixel art Roguelite where you basically dungeon crawl to stop the corruption infesting the land.

You have a choice of characters and as I understand as the plot progresses more open up. You can level up each character with their own skill tree and between runs upgrade stuff globally with gold you find while fighting. It's real time combat and the game is just lovely.

I believe it's out on PC, PS4 and XBox with a Switch version coming next month.

• Upvote 2

Just started playing this on Ps4. Are those glitchy looking white lines that appear randomly on the screen a design choice? Or is my hdmi buggered? Not seeing these lines anywhere else so I'm assuming they are part of the game...

Here's a couple of gameplay vids from the PC version. First one I'm playing with one of the starting two characters. Linda who uses a bow. Top tip. Play her as a twin stick shooter

Second one is the first extra character you unlock Kevin. He builds up rage the more he hits which ups his attack speed and damage

I've beaten the first boss with Linda and have access to the second zone. It's all about doing run after run and gradually increasing your power. Super good fun

Two bosses down now and into the third zone. Unlocked another character who's a lot of fun to play and some additions that really beef up your power. This is a game that definitely rewards uncovering as much of the map as possible.

The third boss kept fucking me over. Then I got a really good run and melted the fucker in like 10 seconds.

It's not rendered properly yet. Youtube is taking hours for some reason.

I unlocked the final character. A big bruiser called Joey who's fucking awesome. You really feel the hits. The zone I've unlocked is a bit difficult for me at the moment so I'm grinding some gold while I level up the characters.

10 minutes ago, NickC said:

@Flub Any more impressions on this? Seriously considering a Switch purchase in a week or so, depending on if it has legs or not.

The second collection of zones (Desert city) really ups the challenge. If the Switch port is good it's a thumbs up from me

• Upvote 1

On 28/10/2019 at 16:05, womblingfree said:

Is there much difference between the Switch and PS4 versions? Can’t decide which one to get.

One is out and one isn't?

This is supposed to be out on Switch today. I say supposed to, because it hasn't landed yet :angry:

But I can't wait to give it a crack when it does.

2 hours ago, NickC said:

So, is it normal to have died 8 times and still not have beaten the first boss? :unsure:

Totally. I spent ages building up before I beat that one. It's exactly how the game is supposed to work. It also allows the super skilled to do some good speed runs I expect

@Flub How do you activate the abilities on the character select screen? Some are highlighted bit say 'Deativated - requires X levels'... but my characters have reached those levels (I think!).

9 minutes ago, NickC said:

@Flub How do you activate the abilities on the character select screen? Some are highlighted bit say 'Deativated - requires X levels'... but my characters have reached those levels (I think!).

if it's what I'm thinking of it's probably points spent in abilities so 4 wouldn't be level 4 but 4 points spent in the previous tier.

*Edit* Just checked. Those are family skills. You earn them by ranking up character skills on each of the characters. Start a game and have a look at the column on the left of the skills page for a character. Those are the unlocks.

This is rather good!  Started playing last night on PC and what should have been a quick session lasted until bedtime.  I've really got into this kind of game since playing Enter the Gungeon, they have a great hook which can keep me playing for hours.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

Totally. I spent ages building up before I beat that one. It's exactly how the game is supposed to work. It also allows the super skilled to do some good speed runs I expect

Ha! On the next run I beat the boss, and immediately almost beat the second boss :lol:

An epic run was had.