Horribleman

What electronic music will I like

Stuff I've enjoyed. 

Kebu - Perplexagon

Stars of the Lid - various

Jon Hopkins - various

Global Communication - 76:14

Stuff like that. 

I like progressive music and stuff that makes you feel like you're in space. Also stoner rock and black metal and death metal and prog and stuff. 

Looking for some really great stuff that will grow on me. 

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

I like progressive music and stuff that makes you feel like you're in space.

This immediately makes me think it'd be worth reaching way back to some old Berlin School stuff, like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze's work from the 70s.

BIg growers, these kind of records, but if you get into them there's a whole world of stuff to explore.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Stuff I've enjoyed. 

Kebu - Perplexagon

Stars of the Lid - various

Jon Hopkins - various

Global Communication - 76:14

Stuff like that. 

I like progressive music and stuff that makes you feel like you're in space. Also stoner rock and black metal and death metal and prog and stuff. 

Looking for some really great stuff that will grow on me. 

Is there anything you've tried that you know you don't like, for comparison?

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is there anything you've tried that you know you don't like, for comparison?

That's a good question. 

Not really. I think I prefer it instrumental or at least with no cheesy clubby vocals. 

I like some Churches but that's not what I'm going for. 

I don't like it too glitchy but I like stuff like fuck buttons and the ambient aphex twin. 

Actually I wasn't keen on a square pusher cd I bought once. I don't like noodly or widdly stuff. My preferred type of progressive is more like gradual tension buildup and release and not verse chorus verse structures, not a million notes for the sake of it. 

I was going to suggest TD and Schulze too. I think they also kind of tick the 'metal fan' box since they're pretty bombastic and often sound so huge.

Fortunately the TD catalogue now sounds decent for the first time in the digital realm with the In Search of Hades box so checking that on Spotify or whatever would be a good port of call for the Virgin years. Ricochet might be a nice place to start within that as it has some rock instruments in the mix and the first half in particular is incredible.

I got two metal guys into Tangerine Dream by making them listen to a cassette of Force Majeure on repeat during a four-hour drive to Wales. Pretty sure it was that massive synth lead at just after the seven minute mark that did it.

• Upvote 1

Stratosfear's a banger.

Good luck getting clean copies of the old TD stuff on vinyl though, those synths sound fat as fuck on the original LPs but anything other than genuinely near mint and the experience can be pretty rough. I've never found good enough copies of Phaedra or Rubycon in 20 years of looking.

I'd be surprised if they don't reissue them soon though and if they're done with as much care as the CD box they'll be just the ticket.

On 13/10/2019 at 14:15, Nequests said:

This immediately makes me think it'd be worth reaching way back to some old Berlin School stuff, like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze's work from the 70s.

BIg growers, these kind of records, but if you get into them there's a whole world of stuff to explore.

I was going to say those.  Have both on vinyl somewhere in the loft.  There's one really long track on that timewind that's just fantastic, and then at the last 5 seconds blows your brains out - it's quite annoying...

• Upvote 1

Schulze stuff is a pain on vinyl as well, so many tracks get up towards 30 minutes (and some even go beyond that) and they end up crammed onto one side with practically no dynamics. Plus you have to crank your amp up which accentuates any surface noise or damage.

If it wasn't for the fact that TD can sound incredible on vinyl if you get lucky I'd say that they're both artists who definitely suit digital better.

• Upvote 1

On 13/10/2019 at 21:17, Horribleman said:

like progressive music and stuff that makes you feel like you're in space.

Orbital's "In Sides" takes you on a journey and a half. It's my favourite electronic album.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Have you heard any Zombi or Steve Moore? 

Also check out Ulrich Schnauss. His first two albums are best. 

Yeah I've got Zombi and Ulrich albums. :)

What about some of the French synthwave/industrial bands? This genre is a recent discovery for me and I've barely scratched the surface, but maybe something like Perturbator's The Uncanny Valley (spoilered just in case as cover is kinda NSFW): 

Spoiler

18 hours ago, And said:

Floating points - start with the Elaenia album. 

maybe some Nils frahm ?

Yes, the new Floating Points album is very good also. Out of interest what Nils Frahm would you recommend? I’ve jumped in here and there but never fully immersed myself in his work.

Crush is good so far but not had time to give it proper attention. 

Bit of a departure from the mojave album.

Nils frahm, I'm still kind of getting into him myself, Spaces and All melody are both really strong. Solo is lovely but is just him and a piano.

• Upvote 1

Abul Mogard is just brilliant and sounds exactly like what you want.

I 'd also mention maybe Plaid, Mark Pritchard and Bing & Ruth?

Check out the two Sinoia Caves albums for proggy electronic goodness

Must give a special mention to Geoff Barrows unused soundtrack for Dredd, It's called Drokk: Music inspired by Mega City One.

1 hour ago, And said:

Crush is good so far but not had time to give it proper attention. 

Bit of a departure from the mojave album.

Nils frahm, I'm still kind of getting into him myself, Spaces and All melody are both really strong. Solo is lovely but is just him and a piano.

Yeah Spaces has Says and For on it and I really like those.