rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dumpster

Games you can't believe were so BAD

I'm a little in shock.  I've been babysitting my nieces and  I picked up a copy of Mario Party 8 for the Wii in a charity shop for a quid.  Family friendly, multi player fun. Not a game series I've ever played before, but it's a Nintendo game and it has Mario in the title so it's going to be great.  It will be enjoyable at the very least.  it's a meee! Mario!  

it's just.... rubbish!  It's a Mario game and it absolutely sucks.

We started with our 2 player game, but the game won't let you play 2 player, you have to select another 2 computer players as well, stretching the amount of time one round took. Then we had the choice of how many minigames we would play.  We selected the default value of 15, although I was tempted to drop it to 10, which was the lowest amount available. 

From there, it was minigame after minigame.  None of them were very good, and each round took ages.  After an hour we were starting to flag.  Watching computer controlled characters playing the board game sections, only to trigger another minigame was getting silly. I can understand it would be more fun with 4 human players but this game takes AGES to play and I don't think I've ever been in a room with 3 other people who all have that much free time.  Luckily, the game proclaimed there were only 5 rounds left and things were going to get mixed up a bit. After another 25 minutes of play the game proudly announced that there were only 4 rounds left and both nieces admitted defeat. It's going to CEX tomorrow.  

But it's Mario! The seal of excellence!  So it's prompted me to ask:

What game did you never even consider would be a bad game, and really shocked you when you first played it?

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

Sonic the Hedgehog. 

Things that kill you (or cause you to lose rings) are off-screen and only memory as opposed to reflexes means you can avoid them. Rubbish.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 2

1 minute ago, Gord said:

Star wars the last Jedi :eyebrows: isn't a game.

Thank fuck! Edge would have probably given that a 10 as well, if it was. Whoops!

Mighty No. 9? I know people will tell me that its low quality would be more than believable, but I like Mega Man games, from the newer titles like MM10 through to janky chibi updates like Mega Man Powered Up. I even completed MMX for iOS, touchscreen controls and everything. I bought MN9 in a sale sometime in late 2017 and everything about it just seemed so bland and uninspired. Having played Powered Up I was willing to look past the character designs and voices of this game, but the gameplay was just forgettable and I didn't make a whole lot of progress before it started gathering dust in my library.

2D updates or homages can be great - Bionic Commando Rearmed, Strider, Double Dragon Neon - but even something like Explodemon feels more thought-out than MN9. :P 

(Disclaimer: I still haven't played 20XX, which is probably one of the better MM-alikes...)

(EDIT: I haven't played MM11 either!)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Halo 2. You kept thinking it would improve, but as it went on you realised that it was just terrible. The most hyped and looked forward to sequel ever and it was a total stinker.

The biggest disappointed in gaming.

It was a disappointing step down from the first one, but the core Halo combat is robust enough that the only places I'd really call it bad are certain levels (Quarantine Zone!) and the really misjudged balance of Legendary difficulty.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Halo 2. You kept thinking it would improve, but as it went on you realised that it was just terrible. The most hyped and looked forward to sequel ever and it was a total stinker.

The biggest disappointed in gaming.

What was it that was so bad about Halo 2?  I've been really looking forward to the MCC on PC having never played any of them but loving the combat in Destiny, but it sounds like there's a massive gulf in quality between the 1st & 2nd game?

Rasterscan for the Spectrum. 

Rasterscan.thumb.jpg.b320607c081b22b536ec68fbf69e7276.jpg

I mean, the cover doesn't look particularly interesting, but the screens looked quite colourful for a game for the old rubber beermat.

But what really got my interest me was the blurb on the back cover. 

26674386_Screenshot2019-10-10at22_56_11.png.151f35d3698edb388b10803567df50d5.png

"Born from the tortured mind of @JPickford of BINARY DESIGN". 

What sort of insanity could come from the tortured mind of the guy behind classics such as Feud, Glider Rider and Ziggurat? This surely has to be the greatest game ever made????

I handed over my paper round money and cycled home with the game, desperate to find out, finally waiting for the game to load while keeping my fingers crossed I didn't see the dreaded "R: Tape loading error". 

Rasterscan.gif.6d15a829d8c74669988084a3fdce7b1d.gif

It turned out John Pickford's tortured mind consisted of a ball rolling around digitised spanners and pointing fingers.

(It wasn't a bad game, I was just disappointed it wasn't more like the infamous Spectrum nasty Go To Hell or something)

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, PK said:

What was it that was so bad about Halo 2?  I've been really looking forward to the MCC on PC having never played any of them but loving the combat in Destiny, but it sounds like there's a massive gulf in quality between the 1st & 2nd game?

Not really. The main issue with 2 was that the game regularly introduced pacing and difficulty spikes that could be charitably referred to as being as carefully and fairly measured and implemented as a blind farmer spreading his seed.

Halo is perfect, and Halo 2 absolutely is not, but they are still both amazing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

I'm a little in shock.  I've been babysitting my nieces and  I picked up a copy of Mario Party 8 for the Wii in a charity shop for a quid.  Family friendly, multi player fun. Not a game series I've ever played before, but it's a Nintendo game and it has Mario in the title so it's going to be great.  It will be enjoyable at the very least.  it's a meee! Mario!  

it's just.... rubbish!  It's a Mario game and it absolutely sucks.

To be fair 8 is to me by far the worst MP game

The Switch game is probably the best in the series despite the small number of boards - really surprised and disappointed they haven’t done DLC for this

Had many great times with my wife and 6 year old girl on it, she loves it and often wins which is always a great moment, it’s her first proper introduction to Switch

Although I’d still never play more than 10 turns

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bimbam said:

Although I’d still never play more than 10 turns

How long does 10 turns take? We had it set on 15 and it took forever!

While I'm here, please can we not post "youre wrong" style responses please, all games are subjective and I'm more interested in the opinions of the people posting and don't want to read loads of "oh my god how can you say that, you're talking out of your arse, that's the best game ever".  Lifes too short.

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

Metal Gear Solid V is so bad it makes all the other games in the series slightly worse by its mere existence.

OK , forget everything I just said.  Oh my god how can you say that, you're talking out of your arse, that's the best game ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks up the Metacritic reviews for Prey from 2006. Then go on YouTube and watch a playthrough (mainly the intro and then skip through the rest). Looks like a genuine stinky mess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, PK said:

The Flood spores go squelch instead of POP when you shoot them. :(

Also, what ZOK said.

The fondest memories of Gunstar Heroes pulled me back into video games in the late '90s, and after uni I started collecting Treasure games. They were genuinely my favourites. Sin and Punishment, Bangaioh, Alien Soldier..even Silhouette Mirage (PS1 and Saturn variants). I was a fanboy and preached the Treasure gospel to my gaming mates for a while there. 

And then at some point Freak Out got announced for the PS2. An original, super-quirky-looking 3D platform game? Sounded great. 

But it wasn't.

It was a turd. An empty game with a bra-strap-pulling attack mechanic you'd use on characters which were literal walking tits and easy repetitive boss fights. That's what I remember of it anyway. And seeing as I didn't have a PS2 I played a mate's copy on his, eagerly bought on my behalf. After it was finished in a single sitting I felt nothing but a tinge of puzzled sadness.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

OK , forget everything I just said.  Oh my god how can you say that, you're talking out of your arse, that's the best game ever.

My arse, your face. Shitty game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

Maybe more can't-believe-it-was-so-mediocre, but Donkey Kong 64. Such a tedious collectathon with more things to collect than has ever been collected before or since, but I was so hyped for it beforehand. Rare! Donkey Kong! The minds behind Banjo-Kazooie! Surely this'll be the best platformer EVAR! Reader, it wasn't.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Benny said:

Looks up the Metacritic reviews for Prey from 2006. Then go on YouTube and watch a playthrough (mainly the intro and then skip through the rest). Looks like a genuine stinky mess.

It was great.

• Upvote 1

Rise of the Robots.

So much hype; music from Brian May, backgrounds designed by interior designers, revolutionary AI, etc.

Was complete wank.

• Upvote 7