Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

In their Edge thing about the PC engine player, they basically said that the components shortage had fucked over everything they had planned, from console launches to restocks, and that they don’t intend for the machines (past or future) to be limited in availability.

What's interesting about it? Serious question, the author doesn't answer the question he asks (and they're not evil anyway, that's stupid).

He just seems to rehash everyone's issues with Analog customer support and business practices. It's all well and good that chip shortages can be attributed to the delays, but overpromising and lack of communication is what they do.

I'll admit when that article first made the rounds I found it cathartic to read. It was as if someone outside of a hobbyist's sphere of influence finally grew the balls to give Analogue the criticism they so deserved - and that slapping them with the open source non-corporate, community driven MiSTer project as a viable alternative was almost too poetic.

Today however I'm ashamed to have got slightly caught up in it and find the strength I had of my distaste for some of their marketing / business practices weird and misplaced. It's almost like I confused them for an actual malevolent entity for a second there - which is ludicrous. 

Console / Platform / FPGA warz are dumb.

Yeah they are absolutely not evil. Just in need of an adult in the room.

I genuinely hope they get it sorted because I want one of everything they "make" I don't have.

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah they are absolutely not evil. Just in need of an adult in the room.

Agreed. They're not scaling to meet the demands of supply and support particularly well. Analogue need to support their existing systems a bit more frequently and invest in better customer service. Marketing a system as being a cycle-accurate hardware emulation of something like a SNES and then leaving issues like the FFVI graphics corruption bug unaddressed until very recently is inexcusable. (Not to mention the 30+ Noir systems that have a hardware flaw out there, waiting to fail.)

It's good to know that Kevtris now has a team of engineers under him, so I hope that firmware updates and bugfixes will be released regularly for systems that are already out there. Until then, I'm coming around to MiSTer being a better-supported platform.

Well that's open source isn't it?

Of course until the Mister has the right controller ports and cart slots its a lovely machine doing a very different job. I absolutely want one but it is not going to give me the vibe playing Sonic Chaos on the SG does.

Analogue selling more Super NTs tomorrow at 4pm UK.

And with their usual brand of marketing nous putting the "very last" NT Minis out at the same time because that won't crash the site.

Classic Analogue.

Imagine wanting a Noir, assuming they're gone forever and then getting a day's notice that the final, final (final) run is happening too.

I’d like an FPGA NES, and I could afford a Noir, but I don’t need the fancy features, and I’d be pissed off if they put out a cheap plastic HDMI-only version next year. I’ll pass. 

Yeah I'd leap on an NT the price of the other 2 if they made enough.  I don't quite like the NES $499+bullshit.

Plus the site is going to die on its arse anyway and they'll all go to bots who've had a days notice to create 1000 accounts with hotmail emails.

Still restocking of any kind is good.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I thought it was just the last run of the black limited edition?

In theory but that's the only Mini NT that even has a listing in their shop.

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I’d like an FPGA NES, and I could afford a Noir, but I don’t need the fancy features, and I’d be pissed off if they put out a cheap plastic HDMI-only version next year. I’ll pass. 

There's an original, non HDMI, Famicom chip NT up for auction here ;)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265113732990

Not that that's my personal eBay or anything :lol:

Just now, Colonel Panic said:

For a minute, I debated buying that, but I’ve got 2 Famicoms and 2 NES consoles and actually prefer them. 

I would buy a plastic NT if one was ever made. I love my Super NT. 

Only reason it's gone up is because I have the HDMI version as well, and am keeping that one :p

It'll never get used of course, but it looks nice :)

11 minutes ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

Super NT is now available, but I can't add it to the cart. Hmm...

That's weird, I bought the SFC style, the US style and 3 of the black and they checked out fine.

Don't worry, they'll be on eBay soon if you missed out today.

3 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

That's weird, I bought the SFC style, the US style and 3 of the black and they checked out fine.

Don't worry, they'll be on eBay soon if you missed out today.

I walked away from my computer and it magically appeared in my cart. Was able to order it no problem after that. 

Got through to order the SuperNt SF version, now to find some of those 2.4Ghz 8bitdo wireless pads and receivers or maybe I should just stick with my OG US pads I already have? The 8bitdo 6 button MD ones were ace.

46 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Got through to order the SuperNt SF version, now to find some of those 2.4Ghz 8bitdo wireless pads and receivers or maybe I should just stick with my OG US pads I already have? The 8bitdo 6 button MD ones were ace.

Good luck with that. 8BitDo have been giving conflicting information on whether or not they're discontinued. I got one from the US this week thanks to a random, single pad being listed by Amazon. Been worth the money so far.

Edit: cripes, the Noir is still in stock after an hour.

Tch, only just got the chance to check their site and the Super NT is sold out. I'd hoped it might last more than two hours, but never mind.