IGNORED

Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Alexlotl

You all know I take a dim view of “artificial scarcity” thing with respect to games console launches, but it makes the least sense of all when you’re talking about an item which is actually manufactured and sold in extremely scarce quantities. You can’t buy healthcare or pay your mortgage with the unsatisfied thirst of middle class gamers.

17 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Are Analogue unproven when it comes to hi-end retro-tech?

They’re not the point was you don’t have to be a big company or an experienced company to do fake scarcity or exclusivity of ownership of a product.

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

They’re not the point was you don’t have to be a big company or an experienced company to do fake scarcity or exclusivity of ownership of a product.

Fyre was a lot less about artificial scarcity and more about they had no idea what they were doing. If the festival had been amazing you wouldn't include it here. The festival had a limited amount of landmass to work with. That's not artificial. Tickets were priced stupidly and the the organisers were chumps.

I'd probably take a couple of things into account - forecasting demand accurately is virtually impossible (even more so at the moment) , and unless you like tying your limited cash into inventory you will always lean on the side of caution. I can only speak for the sector I work in (not electronics), but factory capacity is an issue with a lot of people now trying to 'catch up' having stopped or delayed orders for a few months this year. Plus, and this applies to this sort of luxury product, demand doesn't necessarily reduce based on your stock levels, especially if there are no alternatives.

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

you can go buy a mega sg right now from them, and have been able to for months, so they're not great at the whole 'scarcity' thing

And the Super NT was available for nearly 2 years in its second run, hardly scarce. You can also get an alert when its back in stock

You can also buy the Mega SG cart adapters right now!

All this "planned scarcity" is basically a conspiracy theory. I'm still yet to hear how many pre-orders of the pocket they took. It could be 1000, it could be 10,000 and yet people are very happy to criticize them.

The bottom line is, you can only sell what the factory can produce. Do people seriously think that if they planned for 10,000 consoles and took orders for 60,000 then the factory could just simply make 6 times as many in the same time-frame, and sod all their other customers and booking?

Think if that had actually happened. This is not a kickstarter, what if they had took the money for 60,000 units or whatever the demand was and said right, we can only get factory time for that amount so its coming in in Autumn 2023.

But why can't they just put a tweet or email out saying 'Hey, don't worry if you missed out, our second run will be opening on X date'. Thats the biggest issue and im actually surprised they don't take more pre orders than they can fulfil currently and just make people aware stuff will ship in batches.

41 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

But why can't they just put a tweet or email out saying 'Hey, don't worry if you missed out, our second run will be opening on X date'. Thats the biggest issue and im actually surprised they don't take more pre orders than they can fulfil currently and just make people aware stuff will ship in batches.

Probably because the factories are already behind due to COVID, and they haven't booked a 2nd slot with them, which probably includes some sort of down payment.  They will be at the mercy of whatever outsourced factory manufacturing place they use.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

they already have, you can sign up to be emailed when the pocket comes back in stock/ or rather new pre-orders take place.

they have always done second runs in the past, it was super easy to get the mega Sg and super nt - they were in stock for 3 day delivery for over a year.

i guess some people would rather shit on the company than actually see what’s happening.

people moaning about super nt selling out, after 18 months!

some scarcity blah blah nonsense 

4 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Yeah, who's asking for the same time frame?

2 hours ago, ulala said:

they already have, you can sign up to be emailed when the pocket comes back in stock/ or rather new pre-orders take place.

they have always done second runs in the past, it was super easy to get the mega Sg and super nt - they were in stock for 3 day delivery for over a year.

i guess some people would rather shit on the company than actually see what’s happening.

people moaning about super nt selling out, after 18 months!

some scarcity blah blah nonsense 

I think theres more to it than that, the way analogue has handled this has been an absolute disaster and people are pissed for good reason. They announced this last year and then there was basically complete silence from them for months. We then get a tease for an announcement which people expected to be them taking preorders which turned out to be just an update on their store which revealed the price, the date preorders actually open and the fact that this would not release for almost another year. Then preorders are completely sold out within minutes and many people missed out due to issues with the shipping page and theres been no mention at all when the second round of preorders will begin. 

Then theres previous issues such as the ridiculous postage that they charge, the mix up with the Mega SG versions and the way they handled that, customer service which is terrible, the completely pretentious marketing and recently them revealing features being added to the NT Mini noir months after it was sold out and delaying the shipping date and not telling people until the month it was supposed to ship. 

I think with the pocket, they should have done it with an open preorder over a 2-4 week period to gauge what the demand would be and then manufacture the units needed plus some excess to go on the site on launch day.

28 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I think with the pocket, they should have done it with an open preorder over a 2-4 week period to gauge what the demand would be and then manufacture the units needed plus some excess to go on the site on launch day.

oh yes, simply manufacture the units!

unfortunately that’s not how business works. They have to purchase factory time that can only create so many units. 

I agree the postage is expensive, but ridiculous it's not. What it is, is lacking an economy delivery option. You pay the high amount they charge - which is accurate to what FedEx charge - and it arrives from the States to your house in under five days. You actually pay the right amount for an excellent postal service, because things cost money to do.

They would solve a lot of these issues, though, if they did offer slower, economy delivery for a more affordable rate. But I'm sure they're just more comfortable with the whole 'this is quick and tracked' side of things. Plus even if they did do cheaper postage people would piss and moan about it being too slow.

My main issue with delivery is FedEx charging £12 admin fees, but there's template letters to get out of that.

4 hours ago, ulala said:

Yep. I remember the SFC version of the Super NT being a pain in the arse to get compared to the US coloured variant, but even then there was frequent restocks after the first run. It only became properly problematic to get a Super NT when they.. well, announced and started making the Mega SG.

As @ulala mentioned, I suspect they're relying on a single outsourced manufacturer they trust in China (which can be.. challenging if you're precisely looking for low volume, high quality products, even if you do require the manpower), and are booking production runs of a single product each time - be it either for visibility on manufacture leadtimes, providing some sort of mobility to develop or reproduce particular boutique products, or manage overall BoM and labour costs that fit into the asking price.

Ultimately, I'd be more happier if DF Retro got their hands on one before I did, so I can see a proper shakedown of this (Including ergonomics/screen quality/battery replacement) before I slap a couple hundred down out of sheer hype. Which, if the Super NT and Mega SG was anything to go by, would be just about available to order again when the reviews roll out. I'm okay with that, personally.

19 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Analogue could easily dispel mounting, various accusations of skeeze though just by communicating properly. Instead, their Twitter feed pumps out Gifs all day long.

NES gifs.. for a product that's rarely ever in stock :lol:

• 7 months later...

That's 2 years from announcement to the first batch getting any, and no sign of a 2nd batch.

They do however claim new stocks of the NT and SG in the next couple of months.  If you think you might want one at all, you want one of them. Or both of them. Get on that.

This is really the frustration with Analogue, every one I've been able to use is transformatively good. You just can't get hold of the fuckers.

13 hours ago, DAB said:

They have just posted on Twitter that the Pocket is delayed to October 2021 (from May). Sadly it was posted a little too early to be an April Fool joke.

They got to a month before release without even showing the system running yet. Anyone expecting it to have been released on time was either being extremely optimistic or deluding themselves.

13 hours ago, Dudley said:

That's 2 years from announcement to the first batch getting any, and no sign of a 2nd batch.

They do however claim new stocks of the NT and SG in the next couple of months.  If you think you might want one at all, you want one of them. Or both of them. Get on that.

I know they're a small company and I'm in no rush, but it's embrassing how early they announce new stock and... Nothing turns up, months later.

I signed up to their email list as I fancied the Mega SG after they made a song and dance about dealing with bots and stock shortages but it's been so long, the time passed, I can't tell if they're attempting to build hype or they really are just that poor at managing and public relations. Then again, if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo can't fufil orders with their proven supply chain, maybe I should just shut the fuck up! :)

Eitherway, it's a cool product they've got so when a Mega SG comes avaliable, I will be getting giddy.

I noticed Black Dog Tech (the modders behind PS1Digital) tweeted in response to this. 

Little indie mod companies like this don’t exactly rush to Analogue’s defence in general, so I’m guessing it genuinely sucks for everyone right now. 

Oh I'm sure it does, but then announcing the PC Engine and doing this with a month's notice are mistakes.

13 hours ago, Wools said:

I know they're a small company and I'm in no rush, but it's embrassing how early they announce new stock and... Nothing turns up, months later.

I signed up to their email list as I fancied the Mega SG after they made a song and dance about dealing with bots and stock shortages but it's been so long, the time passed, I can't tell if they're attempting to build hype or they really are just that poor at managing and public relations. Then again, if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo can't fufil orders with their proven supply chain, maybe I should just shut the fuck up! :)

Eitherway, it's a cool product they've got so when a Mega SG comes avaliable, I will be getting giddy.

Well those 3 absolutely can, it's just demand spiked for them, isn't the PS5 the fastest selling launch ever?

As for the SG yes, absolutely get one at RRP.  It is exactly what Analogue claim it is with just 2 tiny, tiny caveats so far.

- The Codemasters "double hits" games will only run one of the games because Codies butchered the specs to switch game on soft reset and the SG doesn't quite do it right.

- The Codemasters Master System games won't run off original carts, this is also true of (most) SMS1s. They DO run off an Everdrive that does the boot sequence for the console.

So basically Codies are dicks. Plus de change.

But my SG runs SMS games through its own adapter, it runs them from my dodgy 3rd party adapter, it's run every other cart I've put through it.  It looks fab and has no detectable lag on anything I've run it through (and I notice lag).  It's more compatible with Mega Drive titles than a Mega Drive 2 is. Of course it runs Virtua Racing. It's a beautiful thing.

The NT too is so compatible a Super Game Boy just works.

Which is why it's so irritating that they don't have just 1 business and 1 proper marketing person.