Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

On 28/07/2020 at 17:28, Oracle said:

I wonder if this will work with the Lynx Sd card thing I randomly pre ordered when drunk.

Yup, all of their products work with Everdrives etc. Failing that there will be a hack on release date to just the ROMs.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, I'm seeing plenty of both in the £300 range which during a non-furlough time I could probably justify.

I still never understand companies that refuse to make enough units for people to give them money for.  I can understand short term shortages but it's been years.

the Super NT only sold out a few months ago, it’s been available for years. I’m sure it will be back in stock, you can put an email alert on their site to inform you when it does.

3 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Pre-orders are up, no idea WHY I have just ordered one, but I have !

I'm fighting the urge too - but I have enough stuff to be playing as it is. Gah! 

I went for it but chickened out. Uncertain financial times means it's not a good time to spend £200, just to have something a bit better than a GBA. I hope they are on general sale when they release, I might be able to talk myself into it next May.

I've been hard in for this, until last week where I just thought I really don't need it. 

I have a Gamecube with a Gameboy Player, GBI and a CRT and It amazing, and I really don't need to get this as well. 

33 minutes ago, auntyclimax said:

Oh... maybe I did the right thing getting one then :-p

Went for the basic white one, as it's closer to the Original DMG model, no case or screen protector etc, it'll no doubt come out of it's box, get used for half an hour, and go back in it's box, I've a tendency to waste money on cool gaming tatt.Now... where's this sodding PlayDate thing ?!?

Decided not to bother putting in an order after some deliberation this morning. I felt a lot more interested in the Super NT after there was a proper review of it from the likes of Digital Foundry, and considering it would be Analogue's first go in developing a full device (as in screen and control), I'd rather know if there was ergonomic issues before taking a punt.

That, and in some backwards mindset, waiting on batch 2 if it has a three month lead time will probably feel better than putting in an order for the first run now and waiting until May.

5 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

That's a lot of people parting with significant amounts of cash. Is there even footage of one running yet?

Nope. I'd imagine they're buying out of good faith based on the NT/Super NT/Super SG.

Or on good faith they can stick it on ebay.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Siri said:

Nope. I'd imagine they're buying out of good faith based on the NT/Super NT/Super SG.

They have a great track record, their previous products are excellent 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Triple A said:

My launch Mega SG and Super NT were both great?

I didn't say all of them. With the Mega Sg they sent the wrong units to people who had ordered a specific design and had to recall the first batch of defective Game Gear cart adapters. Minor goofs that have since been rectified but coupled with aforementioned concerns it's enough to give me pause for thought before spending the money.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I didn't say all of them. With the Mega Sg they sent the wrong units to people who had ordered a specific design and had to recall the first batch of defective Game Gear cart adapters. Minor goofs that have since been rectified but coupled with aforementioned concerns it's enough to give me pause for thought before spending the money.

Problem is they rarely restock so if you don't take the plunge you will miss out and get highly screwed over on eBay later.

14 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

That's a lot of people parting with significant amounts of cash. Is there even footage of one running yet?

Side-tracking massively here; but I'm also generally astonished at the amount of people I see driving new Tesla cars, upgrading to RTX GPUs, ready to pick up either/both new consoles at launch... I'm on my arse, and I'll be lucky if I can get Cyberpunk at this rate.

As for this. Well, it's the same as their other products. Lovely pieces of kit. I'd really like one. A lot. I just don't need it at all.

8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Problem is they rarely restock so if you don't take the plunge you will miss out and get highly screwed over on eBay later.

I'm patient. I waited until the Nt Mini was around and for over a year before I bought a Super Nt or a Mega Sg. I've never had any trouble buying their consoles, really. I don't need the Pocket in May- not that I think that it'll actually be released then. As a company, their stock availability appears to be dictated by whatever one or two things they happen to be focused on and as the Pocket will be their principal system for a while, it should be easy enough to wait and pick one up from subsequent batches.

13 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Side-tracking massively here; but I'm also generally astonished at the amount of people I see driving new Tesla cars, upgrading to RTX GPUs, ready to pick up either/both new consoles at launch... I'm on my arse, and I'll be lucky if I can get Cyberpunk at this rate.

As for this. Well, it's the same as their other products. Lovely pieces of kit. I'd really like one. A lot. I just don't need it at all.

"Haul" culture. I'm frequently astonished by this as well but I often suspect I'm seeing the spoils of a loud and prolifigate minority. I suppose console launches give people enough lead time to sell things and save up if they have to.

8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Honestly, considering how much Shipping and Customs charges were on the Super NT, I'd say that Ebay is a pretty good deal :lol:

At the very least, the Mega SG is readily available. Probably because the games can be played on a bunch of relevant devices anyway, which is the same problem I'm having with the Pocket - a new device would be nice, but a majority of my handheld games are all GBA, which all work perfectly fine on an ageing DS Lite that I know is perfectly comfortable in my hands.

An FPGA-based handheld is highly appealing, however. Hopefully more companies see this as a good idea, it's getting a bit tiring seeing the same old ARM/Mali powered units pumped out from China.

• Upvote 1