IGNORED

Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Alexlotl

10 minutes ago, Wiper said:

That said, the fact that the slot is short even on GBA carts seems daft; possibly it was done to give the triggers a bit more clearance, but I think that was the wrong choice. A little extra backing, particularly for the adapter carts, sounds like it would have been a good idea. No way I'll be reliving the youthful delights of using the Master Gear converter to play my friend's MS copies of The Ninja and Desert Strike, or using the (definitely now entirely defunct) TV Tuner!

At least play something proper :hat:

Work.thumb.jpg.7a387b19534d60ca1b533ec816475c11.jpg

Well, lost a few minutes due to the cart failing to add things* until I switched browser (to Edge, of all things), and now stuck in a queue, so I imagine I'm well into 2023 :lol:

*as in, I'd click on add to basket, and it would bring up "your basket is empty", over and over again. Not ideal!

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

I filled up a basket, but the subsequent queue gave me time for reflection, and I decided to wait until 2023, when I suspect they'll be generally available.

I have to say, I've done the same, despite my usual enthusiasm for Analogue's stuff. I've got a modded GBA that I barely touch, so I suspect this thing would be just a passing curiosity for me.

Jesus, I really must be getting old.

@FatOldGeek I expect you're right about the jailbreak. I figured if I'm Q1 next year then it'll be something to play with, and if I'm Q4 (and jailbreak is well established) then I might be able to cancel just the adapter. The dock is mainly for in the hope that 8/16-bit home console cores appear, which will be fun for big screen and multiplayer.

Big respect for anybody who has enough personal restraint to drop their order :)

46 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

They are a bit crap at the slot designs, the NT Mini is awful for it as they wobble around like crazy. They always claim to focus on the cart designs but its not the first time its been this way. Sadly really as some of their kit is nigh on perfect.

Had to get the one on my OG NT replaced ( I tried, I failed! ) they seem to be a bit shit like that, I’ll just leave it in the box probably 😂😝

You are like tiny babies. 1063XX for me!

(my Mega SG order from October last year was 607XX, to give an absolute baseline for what sort of number they started counting from. Stings a little that their website throwing its toys out of the pram has likely pushed me into batch 3, but given I got into batch 1 of the Playdate it feels like I was due some bad luck on that front)

I was expecting 2023 anyway so ambled in at my leisure around 20 past and booked 117676 for a pocket and GG adapter.  I might grab a case etc when I go back for the other adapters.

I'm the weirdo who won't jailbreak it though and who already has a Super NT and SuperGameBoy plus a Mega SG and GG adapter which is of course a big part of the utility of the dock, it'd only be GBC and GBA for me.

59 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

At least play something proper :hat:

Work.thumb.jpg.7a387b19534d60ca1b533ec816475c11.jpg

I've just noticed this is you and fucking Enduro Racer again :D

I doubt anyone's tried it yet but the GG SMS adapter should absolutely work on the pocket.

Hilariously it works on the Mega SG with a GG adapter, resulting in this nightmare.

2021-09-01 13.54.04.jpg

Wow, an adapter that looks even uglier than the Master Gear (which at least kept the MS carts parallel, not perpendicular with the GG cart slot), impressive! And yep, MLIG did in fact show off the Master Gear in use on the Pocket, though they flag up that currently the machine doesn't scale MS games properly to the screen, expanding beyond its bounds:

7 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Go read the official Reddit.

Did you have a specific thread in mind? Everything I've found on there is tagged with the "Speculation" flair, because people are speculating based on Analogue's previous behaviour. I couldn't find anything to substantiate that it's confirmed yet.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Did you have a specific thread in mind? Everything I've found on there is tagged with the "Speculation" flair, because people are speculating based on Analogue's previous behaviour. I couldn't find anything to substantiate that it's confirmed yet.

It’s only happened every single other time.

if only there was some data or a precedent to help ?

I ordered at about 4:05pm. Went for the dock, screen protector case and charger. Didn't bother with the GameGear adapter. I'm banking on the jailbreak to be honest and also that if I didn't order it now, I'll be paying some insane ebay prices for a while.

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

Wow, an adapter that looks even uglier than the Master Gear (which at least kept the MS carts parallel, not perpendicular with the GG cart slot), impressive! And yep, MLIG did in fact show off the Master Gear in use on the Pocket, though they flag up that currently the machine doesn't scale MS games properly to the screen, expanding beyond its bounds:

Not had a chance to watch theirs just yet but I'd speculate that's the higher res of the SMS confusing it while the machine itself is still "running" at GG res.

Weird because it's absolutely fine on the MegaSG, which is actually irritating because I wanted to show the difference the resolution reduction made on the GG :D

Incidentally, I'm on a not official discord that for no reason I'll mention Kevtris is also on and there's no specific information being public there.