IGNORED

Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Alexlotl

The MLiG video highlighted that retention issues that are still present on IPS screens are absent on the Pocket, so that's a major plus point for me.

I have no desire to get the dock yet though, so if I go ahead with a pre-order it'll just be for a Pocket and a screen protector.

14 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

The MLiG video highlighted that retention issues that are still present on IPS screens are absent on the Pocket, so that's a major plus point for me.

I have no desire to get the dock yet though, so if I go ahead with a pre-order it'll just be for a Pocket and a screen protector.

You might struggle to get it for years so if you have the inkling I'd go for it now.

11 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Stole these from Discord.

Screen_Shot_2021-12-13_at_11_31.58_AM.png.704d35cace3b0d6ec73194a552a3e26b.png

unknown.png.67fd337fd73ab165d80e65607bf83080.png

Meant to say last night — thanks a lot for this. Looks pretty generic, and evidently connected by a plugged rather than soldered cable, so that allays my concerns. Hopefully it's not too hard to remove from its custom tray!

As you say, from the reviews it sounds like the dock is a bit underwhelming at the moment, but honestly the potential of trivially swapping between playing GBA/GG/NGPC games handheld and on my TV is appealing enough that I'm still interested in it; the Switch has more than proved to me that I get a lot out of that benefit, even if the pre-GBA systems are almost certain to look, er, 'interesting' when blown up on a 55" screen.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

You might struggle to get it for years so if you have the inkling I'd go for it now.

That's the worry isn't it.  I don't have any huge need for the dock but the ease of using it as a capture device might swing me.  I certainly want the adapters and the machine so I might just assume it's the price of buying it on ebay and just do it.

To be fair I don't think it's a surprise that if Analogue were 2 person company with an average IQ of 100, 201 of that would be in the engineering side.

I think I'm just gonna get the device and if offered the GG adapter, there's an amount I'm willing to risk lending them and it's not the full dock+adapter*3 I suspect.

I've got to say, as someone who does care about (and act on) work conditions within the broader games industry, that... Really didn't sound that awful? Sounded like a frustrating experience for the would-be contractor (and I very much approve of the title of their piece, AAA+ punning), but that really did appear to be it.

I went in expecting yet another horror story of abusive management, unpaid work, sexual harassment or similar, but "company wanted to contract me but they undervalued me so I declined after some back and forth" isn't quite on that level.

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I've got to say, as someone who does care about (and act on) work conditions within the broader games industry, that... Really didn't sound that awful? Sounded like a frustrating experience for the would-be contractor (and I very much approve of the title of their piece, AAA+ punning), but that really did appear to be it.

I went in expecting yet another horror story of abusive management, unpaid work, sexual harassment or similar, but "company wanted to contract me but they undervalued me so I declined after some back and forth" isn't quite on that level.

absolutely spot on

Does it really need to be weighed up against harassment to decide how bad it is? Can’t it just be bad in its own right?

At least Wiper read the article though. 

I do agree it’s not boycott-worthy in my book, but Analogue seem like a shit business even if I don’t understand how business and production of electronics hardware works. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Does it really need to be weighed up against harassment to decide how bad it is? Can’t it just be bad in its own right?

At least Wiper read the article though. 

I do agree it’s not boycott-worthy in my book, but Analogue seem like a shit business even if I don’t understand how business and production of electronics hardware works. 

i did read the article, and came to the same conclusion as the above forum member, but i guess my opinion isn't worth anything. I wonder why?

Watched several videos, and was worried by the cartridge slot problems Retro Dodo described. With those adapters on top it doesn’t look secure either.

I mean, it’s like the dodgy RAM pack connection on a ZX81. So much for a premium product.

2 minutes ago, merman said:

Watched several videos, and was worried by the cartridge slot problems Retro Dodo described. With those adapters on top it doesn’t look secure either.

I mean, it’s like the dodgy RAM pack connection on a ZX81. So much for a premium product.

They are a bit crap at the slot designs, the NT Mini is awful for it as they wobble around like crazy. They always claim to focus on the cart designs but its not the first time its been this way. Sadly really as some of their kit is nigh on perfect.

12 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

They are a bit crap at the slot designs, the NT Mini is awful for it as they wobble around like crazy. They always claim to focus on the cart designs but its not the first time its been this way. Sadly really as some of their kit is nigh on perfect.

At the risk of coming across as an apologist (and noting that the NT Mini slot is indefensible), I'm not sure that there was an ideal solution for the Pocket, thanks to the choice to be GBA-compatible; the stunty little GBA carts were always going to compromise the slot's use for the taller carts, never mind adapters.

That said, the fact that the slot is short even on GBA carts seems daft; possibly it was done to give the triggers a bit more clearance, but I think that was the wrong choice. A little extra backing, particularly for the adapter carts, sounds like it would have been a good idea. No way I'll be reliving the youthful delights of using the Master Gear converter to play my friend's MS copies of The Ninja and Desert Strike, or using the (definitely now entirely defunct) TV Tuner!