IGNORED

Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Alexlotl

I'm hoping, HOPING that they take x orders and then use that to book factory time, even with a long lead, to produce x items.

Rather than their usual approach of building something excellent then making 5 of them and being surprised when they sell out while they're announcing something else they'll make 5 of.

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'm hoping, HOPING that they take x orders and then use that to book factory time, even with a long lead, to produce x items.

Rather than their usual approach of building something excellent then making 5 of them and being surprised when they sell out while they're announcing something else they'll make 5 of.

they make tens of thousands , not 5

with every release, they have booked factory time and made x number of units. And only took that amount of pre orders.

what they have never done, is took as many pre orders as possible, knowing they cannot produce them

5 hours ago, FatOldGeek said:

That's what they've said isn't it? They're letting everyone know within two or three days what group they're in and when they should expect delivery.

But they also said this was releasing in November 2021...

Semi-regular update to repeat the following:

- Analogue has released multiple, phenomenally high quality clone consoles. Their reputation when it comes to making hardware is superb. They are 100% not scammers, nor do they make shitty low quality clone devices.

- There are reasons things are being delayed. Try buying a GPU from one of the world's biggest manufacturers, then wonder aloud how that compares to a tiny company making incredibly niche products.

- The Mega SG, Super NT, DAC, and even (to a lesser extent) the NT Mini have all been available, easily, for significant amounts of time direct from Analogue. If you've not got one you were after, you've managed to miss extended windows of availability. The preorder/early availability is a free for all, sure, but just... wait a bit?

I don't actually think it's particularly smart for them to take as many orders as there are, considering current circumstances. The old method of limited preorders feels like it'd be more manageable in case component prices rise even more than they have. But then maybe it's a hedging technique - having orders at a set price stretching years down the line with the hope component prices and availability will settle back to some level of normalcy before they get around to actually manufacturing the later run stuff. Though that would only apply if they take money from people on ordering, so I've no idea. Just thinking aloud. In type.

1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

Was it working when you posted? What did they say?

He likes it.

All tested cores seem accurate, though GBC audio isn't quite bang on in its current state .

It features a GBC link cable port for real hardware and for other Pockets. 

The Dock works as intended, and there are also a load of additional $30 adaptors for other systems (only GB, GBC and GBA are supported out of the box).

His big niggle was that GBA games are bordered due to their differing aspect ratio.

He didn't mention d-pad / button feel. He likes the GBC game creation tool.

Will digest that MLiG one tonight, got to love those vowel-manglers and their commitment to accuracy.

Without having time to digest the epics above, quick question - can you just suspend games whenever, Switch style, and is there any Save State support?

The d-pad sounds a bit shit. NGPC fighters, and anything run'n'gun, may not perform desirably. Hopefully it just needs some working in.

That frame-blending option works exactly how it does on the MiSTer, as well. So expect some motion blur when using that. It'll be interesting to see if anyone's willing to test the screen to see if that flickering will temporarily burn in or not.

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

The d-pad sounds a bit shit. NGPC fighters, and anything run'n'gun, may not perform desirably. Hopefully it just needs some working in.

To be fair, I wouldn't expect (precision-requiring) NGPC games to play as well on any d-pad as they do on their original system; that joystick was a marvel.

I'm still a bit disappointed they went with original GB layout rather than the infinitely more comfortable GBA (not least as the other supported consoles — GG, Lynx and NGPC — are all also landscape rather than portrait in orientation), but given the screen quality I'm very interested in the machine. The one thing that I still need to see, though, is a teardown of the machine: specifically, how user-serviceable the 'non-user-serviceable' battery really is. That's the one part of the design that is unreservedly, objectively bullshit, so hopefully Analogue are just covering their arses when saying the console needs to be sent to them if you need to replace the battery, rather than it actually being e.g. an obscure battery soldered directly to the machine.

31 minutes ago, Wiper said:

To be fair, I wouldn't expect (precision-requiring) NGPC games to play as well on any d-pad as they do on their original system; that joystick was a marvel.

I'm still a bit disappointed they went with original GB layout rather than the infinitely more comfortable GBA (not least as the other supported consoles — GG, Lynx and NGPC — are all also landscape rather than portrait in orientation), but given the screen quality I'm very interested in the machine. The one thing that I still need to see, though, is a teardown of the machine: specifically, how user-serviceable the 'non-user-serviceable' battery really is. That's the one part of the design that is unreservedly, objectively bullshit, so hopefully Analogue are just covering their arses when saying the console needs to be sent to them if you need to replace the battery, rather than it actually being e.g. an obscure battery soldered directly to the machine.

I'm half tempted to pull mine apart the minute it arrive, if nothing else than for clicks on Youtube and  a few extra subs 😛

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

I'm still a bit disappointed they went with original GB layout rather than the infinitely more comfortable GBA (not least as the other supported consoles — GG, Lynx and NGPC — are all also landscape rather than portrait in orientation), but given the screen quality I'm very interested in the machine.

I think we're in the minority on that one.

Pop this screen and the FPGA on a more rounded NGPC with four face and two shoulder buttons and I'd buy two. 

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

The one thing that I still need to see, though, is a teardown of the machine: specifically, how user-serviceable the 'non-user-serviceable' battery really is. That's the one part of the design that is unreservedly, objectively bullshit, so hopefully Analogue are just covering their arses when saying the console needs to be sent to them if you need to replace the battery, rather than it actually being e.g. an obscure battery soldered directly to the machine.

Stole these from Discord.

Screen_Shot_2021-12-13_at_11_31.58_AM.png.704d35cace3b0d6ec73194a552a3e26b.png

unknown.png.67fd337fd73ab165d80e65607bf83080.png