rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Alexlotl

Analogue Pocket - FPGA GB/GBC/GBA + More

Haven’t heard many rumours about this. Green on black is an interesting choice. Gameboy? Amstrad PCW? That computer terminal from Alien?

A revised, cheaper, digital only version of the NT Mini seems like a logical and easy thing to put out, but that colour scheme has me foxed. 

Edited by Alexlotl
Changed title following announcement

There was a patent uncovered recently that suggests this new machine will be a FPGA Gameboy, I can't remember where I saw this information though.

Edit: Found the info, highlighted in a video from Madlittlepixel at the start of August. Two listings of new machines, Analogue Pocket needs no explaining. The Analogue 8 suggests to me a remodelling  of the NT Mini.

https://www.trademarkia.com/company-analogue-inc-4617390-page-1-2

Hmm. I’m onboard for a new FPGA NES, although I’m pretty sure they could have just released a cart converter for the Super NT.

A Game Boy clone is a tricky one. Presumably, it’s got to be portable, not just a TV unit, particularly with that name. If it was just GB or GB+GBC, then I’m not sure that’s hugely compelling for me. GBA would be nice, but that’s an ARM chip, which feels like it might be legally dangerous for Analogue (given ARM are solely an IP house).

If it was also a Game Gear, Wonderswan Crystal, Pokemon Mini and Neo Geo Pocket Colour, then I’d be interested, but I’m not sure how cart compatibility would work for that, though. 

It’ll be interesting to see how much they push the chiptune angle with any marketing. Built in fancy dan version of LSDJ and flat stereo output, boot logo tune by some scenester, etc. 

I think it'll officially just be a Game Boy / GBC clone.

Jailbreak firmware will open up other cores down the line with the most exciting being an all new PC-E / TG-16 core that Kevtris farted out one day during lunch, effectively transforming the device into a Turbo Express.

What’s the point in a Gameboy?

I thought the main idea behind the analogue systems was the ability to play your retro games on modern TVs.

What’s this going to offer over a standard Gameboy/GBA (or the million and one handheld clones out there)?

38 minutes ago, Goemon said:

What’s the point in a Gameboy?

I thought the main idea behind the analogue systems was the ability to play your retro games on modern TVs.

What’s this going to offer over a standard Gameboy/GBA (or the million and one handheld clones out there)?

Hopefully it will offer the ability to play other handheld carts.

Otherwise you're better off getting a modded backlit GameBoy online.

If this can connect to a LCD TV or capture unit, then might have a look if not, I think I'll stick to original hardware in this case.

This thing looks awesome, I'm in day one.

Wonder how the cores for Mega Drive and SNES once someone develops them, will stack up against the Mega SG and Super NT.

I like how the X and Y buttons are concave like on the US SNES controllers. Hopefully these and the D-Pad are top quality; it's new ground for Analogue and an area where they're more likely to falter straight out of the gate, I think.

I’ve been hoping for Nintendo to follow their NES and SNES Classic Mini consoles with a Game Boy announcement... but something like this already shows a lot of promise - the slim design and bright screen look great. :) 

Well, that looks more interesting than I expected!

I like:

• GBA support!
  • Other portable consoles via jailbreak firmware *checks notes* cart adaptors, just like the ones they haven't bothered shipping for the Mega SG.
  • Concave X & Y buttons, as mentioned above. The US SNES Pad had a hideous colour scheme, but those concave buttons are the business.
  • Stereo speakers!
  • Not too expensive, considering.
  • The dock!

I don't like:

• The positioning of that trio of start/select/homeish buttons on the right edge of the console. They're already annoying me. Too easy to press accidentally, too hard to press deliberately.
  • The lack of price for the dock, and the suspicion that it won't be available day 1.

I am wary of:

• The second FPGA - the way this copy is written makes it sound like this is sitting idle for all the shipping cores, and it's just there for developers, which if true is a pretty bewildering decision, cost wise.
  • What the battery life will be like, particularly for two-FPGA cores.
  • How that screen is going to handle different screen resolutions.

Oh, and called it:

It’ll be interesting to see how much they push the chiptune angle with any marketing. Built in fancy dan version of LSDJ and flat stereo output, boot logo tune by some scenester, etc.

26 minutes ago, Triple A said:

This thing looks awesome, I'm in day one.

Wonder how the cores for Mega Drive and SNES once someone develops them, will stack up against the Mega SG and Super NT.

Seeing as they're allowing additional 3rd party FPGA cores to be installed I can see a load of the MiSTer ones being ported over..

..and on that platform the SNES and Mega Drive cores stack up against the Analogue ones really well; they're super accurate - with the MiSTer SNES core supporting more special chips than a SD2SNES as well.

I think it's amazing that Analogue are opening it up. Definitely the right move not to lean exclusively on one Dev (regardless of his skill).

I wonder how good that second FPGA is though. The way its worded seems like it may not be as powerful as the main chip they're using for the GBA etc.

On 09/10/2019 at 23:33, Alexlotl said:

Get a load of Coleen Rooney here.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ulala said:

i wonder if the jailbreak can run nes, snes, megadrive and neo geo games!

If it does, SNES games which use the shoulder buttons won't be much cop.

This looks great. Worried it looks a bit uncomfortable though.

I don't know if I want this. I mean, I have and love the face off my SuperNT, but some of Analogue's stuff is like Bang and Olufsen stereo equipment.

Also, they didn't answer my tweet asking if their DAC would work well with an OSSC :( 

42 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Also, they didn't answer my tweet asking if their DAC would work well with an OSSC :( 

Maybe (aside from them generally not answering technical questions on twitter) they're puzzled as to why you'd be using the DAC only to be converting the signal back to a digital one?

I don't see why it wouldn't work though.