rllmuk
Luck

Anyone got an OG Xbox, 360 and a copy of Outrun 2/C2C on here?

58 minutes ago, Riven said:

That's interesting, so Sumo did the Japanese versions also, the trouble with doing it that way that is it makes Sega looks unprofessional. It's a common issue in the past on the 32bit systems. As you end up with lots of different skews of the same games, some vastly better than others as was the case with Daytona CE on Saturn as well. So you end up now in a case where the NTSC/U and PAL versions are largely ignored in favour of the Japanese version. Which have since rocketed in price in the case of Outrun.

I take it you are from Sumo? I actually worked with the studio on the PSP version of Split Second and they did a great job of the port, considering the system's limitations, compared to the 360 & PS3 hardware. Also still owe the Sumo producer on it a beer for helping me get my next job.

The trouble with the Xbox 360 port was it was very bare bones compared to coast to coast (I'm guessing Microsoft XBLA size limits at the time.). What I'd love to see now is a modern port with all the content and more from the final Japanese release of the game. We could really do with a full Outrun collection of the whole series as quite a few titles in the series never got a decent home port, Outrunners for one.

Yeah, I still very much work at Sumo :) Well, some of the time anyway. I suspect you worked with Joe 'Sea of Thieves' Neate on Split Second? Trust me, he does OK for beer!

The Japanese versions were only decided on as we were quite far into working on the Western versions, so they were developed afterwards. Partially as no-one was sure we could pull off 60fps on a PS2 so they waited for the proof :P

Initially the plan was to just localise the game into Japanese, but unlike these days where you have off the shelf UI tools and middleware and adding new languages isn't crazy difficult, doing that back then was actually reasonably involved. Since that was going to take a while, we were asked to add a couple of additional features and to address some desires from AM2 at the same time. That meant the Japanese versions did get some improvements, but only as a side effect of it being later. 

Of course these days you would be able to roll them into a software update for the other regions, but updates like that weren't really possible back then. I don't think this is necessarily unprofessional on anyone's part, after all, I've worked on more than a few games where as they're developed the remit, target or audience changes based on how successfully the development goes. 

In terms of the improvements themselves they are typically nice to haves. But as always they come with a price. For example most people credit OutRun2SP on PS2 (which is the Japanese version of OutRun2006:Coast 2 Coast) as the definitive version as it adds force feedback support for certain wheels and some of the end of stage animations were added. Plus Clarissa wasn't censored :P

But of course it's locked to an NTSC console and can't be played in English. So a little swings and roundabouts.

With OutRun Online Arcade, the plan was always to release the game, see how it did and add the original OutRun2 tracks as DLC. It was always meant to be a little more arcade focused as a side effect of the price point, plus of course there were limitations to download sizes and there certainly was for update sizes. I think it did OK in terms of sales, but not enough to make the DLC happen. 

I'd totally buy/work on a OutRun box set though. Get M2 to do the original, Turbo OutRun and OutRunners and we'll do the OutRun2 ones :)

• Upvote 6

On 10/10/2019 at 17:10, Qazimod said:

I bought Outrun 2 on more platforms than pretty much any other game - 2 on Xbox; 2006 on PC, PSP, PS2; Online Arcade. I still have Online Arcade on my 360's hard drive, and I still have the PC game (i.e the original physical disc I bought from Virgin Megastores, back when Virgin Megastores was a thing.)

2006 is a nightmare to get running on modern PCs, but I did have a look earlier this year - you need all manner of weird fan-patches and stuff... and even then there were issues recognising my controllers, but it can kind of be done. I feel like the PC version has the sharpest and smoothest experience but I'm equally happy playing on 360. :) 

I didn’t find it a nightmare at all on my PC. Just downloaded on Steam & with no patches, the game recognised my XB1 controller & I cranked it up to native 2K resolution.

If you picked up the game on Steam back when it was released, I found it behaved really nicely. Looks stunning at 2K too. :wub:

On 16/10/2019 at 13:56, S0L said:

Yeah, I still very much work at Sumo :) Well, some of the time anyway. I suspect you worked with Joe 'Sea of Thieves' Neate on Split Second? Trust me, he does OK for beer!

The Japanese versions were only decided on as we were quite far into working on the Western versions, so they were developed afterwards. Partially as no-one was sure we could pull off 60fps on a PS2 so they waited for the proof :P

Initially the plan was to just localise the game into Japanese, but unlike these days where you have off the shelf UI tools and middleware and adding new languages isn't crazy difficult, doing that back then was actually reasonably involved. Since that was going to take a while, we were asked to add a couple of additional features and to address some desires from AM2 at the same time. That meant the Japanese versions did get some improvements, but only as a side effect of it being later. 

Of course these days you would be able to roll them into a software update for the other regions, but updates like that weren't really possible back then. I don't think this is necessarily unprofessional on anyone's part, after all, I've worked on more than a few games where as they're developed the remit, target or audience changes based on how successfully the development goes. 

In terms of the improvements themselves they are typically nice to haves. But as always they come with a price. For example most people credit OutRun2SP on PS2 (which is the Japanese version of OutRun2006:Coast 2 Coast) as the definitive version as it adds force feedback support for certain wheels and some of the end of stage animations were added. Plus Clarissa wasn't censored :P

But of course it's locked to an NTSC console and can't be played in English. So a little swings and roundabouts.

With OutRun Online Arcade, the plan was always to release the game, see how it did and add the original OutRun2 tracks as DLC. It was always meant to be a little more arcade focused as a side effect of the price point, plus of course there were limitations to download sizes and there certainly was for update sizes. I think it did OK in terms of sales, but not enough to make the DLC happen. 

I'd totally buy/work on a OutRun box set though. Get M2 to do the original, Turbo OutRun and OutRunners and we'll do the OutRun2 ones :)

Yeah it was indeed Joe I worked with, way back in 2010, we never directly met in person, time flies these days I must admit it seems like yesterday, but it is now 9 years later.

Really interesting back story of the port, Sega of Japan don't come across at all well, as really if they had any doubts they should have had AM2 staff help in the development. Great to see you proved them very wrong as well, with such a great port. The end result was a superb port by Sumo, I think Outrun was the last major Sega game to have big region changes after that it got standardise a lot more. So you don't really see that happening now as you mentioned, but from a consumer point of view it never looks good. I covered some of the many game region changes on Randomised Gaming's blog for the Sega Saturn as I'm a avid Saturn collector and to this day it's just really annoying you have to import the better version of so many games.

I'm not surprised OutRun Online Arcade didn't sell well sadly, it was the best port to date and kudos on it, but it was diminishing returns. Oddly enough for an arcade title a lot of people I know at the time felt the price was too expensive for a version of the game that didn't included much content, it launched at 800p as I recall. Many, I think just stuck with the previous versions of OutRun 2 as they were only a few years old and Outrun 2006 Coast 2 worked on 360 and was a cheap purchase in the second hand market.

That DLC plan might have worked if it the game was was sold at 400 point, but I think for 800 points people wanted both Outrun 2 and SP tracks. Might have got away with selling the Daytona 2 and Scud Race tracks as DLC, as the fans would have lapped them up. Plus you could have done tracks on other classic racers like Sega Rally and Touring Car.

I would pay good money for a full collection so if you ever get a chance to make it happen, I would be over the moon.:D There is so many remixes an versions of the different soundtracks these days it would be nice to have a version of the game where you can just pick the ones you want and drive. I'd quite like the outrun 2 OST in the original game.

I held off buying the Xbox 360 until it went on sale as I remember, a lot of people do regret not picking it up now, as it got delisted within a few years. In case any readers out there haven't seen the 360 version in action here is what it looks like in 4K and yes it's still stunning.

On 16/10/2019 at 14:31, Wools said:

I didn’t find it a nightmare at all on my PC.

Really?

On 16/10/2019 at 14:31, Wools said:

Just downloaded on Steam

Ah, that's probably a bit of a different experience compared to using the disc version. :D 

Also "OutRun 2 FXT: Feel the Road" does help with a lot of my compatibility woes, so it's worth a look for anyone else in my situation...

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Really?

Ah, that's probably a bit of a different experience compared to using the disc version. :D 

Also "OutRun 2 FXT: Feel the Road" does help with a lot of my compatibility woes, so it's worth a look for anyone else in my situation...

Ahh, sorry, totally missed you were playing on disc! :(

Glad you got some help though, playing Outrun 2 on PC is the definitve version for me as yes, it does't have thave the content of OG Xbox Outrun 2 but the graphical quality and modern resolution just takes it into another league. Here's a screenshot I took of it runnin on my PC in 2K. :wub:

Outrun 2 Coast 2 Coast Waterfall

• Upvote 2