The History Of Alien Games

The Making Of Gauntlet: The Deeper Dungeons

So You Want To Collect… Game Gear Platformers

Retro Revival: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Lost In Translation

Retron Inspired: The Ninja Saviors

The Making Of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

• Upvote 6

Show of hands, who thought Retro Gamer would be at 199 issues when it first launched? I certainly never imagined that and didn't really buy it till issue 50 and that for me felt like the turning point where the 80s computer talk was massively reduced for more modern stuff. I am so glad it's at nearly 200 issues and hope for at least 200 more!

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Show of hands, who thought Retro Gamer would be at 199 issues when it first launched? I certainly never imagined that and didn't really buy it till issue 50 and that for me felt like the turning point where the 80s computer talk was massively reduced for more modern stuff. I am so glad it's at nearly 200 issues and hope for at least 200 more!

I remember sitting in a cover meeting once and thinking we would get to issue 34 or 35, so it's always nice to see how well it has done.

If the magazine is still going in 200 issues time I'll be 61 :blah:

• Upvote 3

Retro Gamer has been going so long that when my parents cleared out their loft last week there were old issues up there along with my childhood boxed C64. Seems like a perfect match. 

• Upvote 3

On 07/10/2019 at 17:49, strider said:

I remember sitting in a cover meeting once and thinking we would get to issue 34 or 35, so it's always nice to see how well it has done.

If the magazine is still going in 200 issues time I'll be 61 :blah:

Even though the direction of the magazine moved away from my own personal brand of nostalgia a long time ago (and I finally got around to cancelling my sub), it does still make me happy to see the success it has become. It really is an amazing achievement and to be celebrated - well done Strider and the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Even though the direction of the magazine moved away from my own personal brand of nostalgia a long time ago (and I finally got around to cancelling my sub), it does still make me happy to see the success it has become. It really is an amazing achievement and to be celebrated - well done Strider and the team.

Don't cancel. Issue 200 is going to be awesome, providing it doesn't kill us first (everyone is poorly with the exception of Nick and myself). We've got something really, really cool planned.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, strider said:

Don't cancel. Issue 200 is going to be awesome, providing it doesn't kill us first (everyone is poorly with the exception of Nick and myself). We've got something really, really cool planned.

Is it a free VHS tape stuck to the mag? A big book of cheat codes? A free Wham bar? 

I bloody love this magazine. I'm even nostalgic about buying the early issues now! 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, strider said:

My new subscription starts with issue 200 so very much looking forward to see what @strider and the team have come up with :)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

My new subscription starts with issue 200 so very much looking forward to see what @strider and the team have come up with :)

Hopefully you’ll like what we’ve got planned. We’ve always tried to do something a little different with these big landmark celebrations and this particular issue is inspired by various requests we’ve had over the years.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, knightbeat said:

Hmmm. A cover-mounted Raspberry Pi... fitted in a ZX Spectrum case.... made of sponge cake?

The Raspberry Pi thing has already been done :)

• Upvote 1

Love this Mag, just after reading the Shadow Dancer article from last issue and it was fab. I am a subscriber to digital and hard copy and won't be changing that anytime soon, keep up the great work 

• Upvote 1

I'm not nostalgic at all, but I love the mag for lots of reasons. The main one is that it's proper journalism: although it has a light touch and tone, it's rigorously researched and gives deep insight into stuff that otherwise would be lost to history. I don't like wallowing in the past, but I do like hearing more detail about stuff I was ignorant of.

Secondly, that 'light touch' thing. The writers all feel similar to the crews that made the likes of C&VG such a success - they come across like friends, and seem like the kind of blokes who'd hang around indie games stores just soaking up as much knowledge as possible. Sort of like music journalists but without being egotistical wankers :)

Thirdly, the layout is fantastic. And bombastic. Because it's aping old mags, it doesn't have that austere layout you see in modern mags, where you get an image then a whole bank of text on a plain background. It's much more riotous in the main, like a collage/explosion in a Photoshop factory. I love that! 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

My uncle works for RG and he says issue 200 is entirely dedicated to the Atari Jaguar.  I can't wait!

Might be time for another straight in the bin award :hat:

How many mags has Retro Gamer out lasted, in terms of number of issues?  Crash and Zzap by a large number I'm sure, probably a while before it surpasses C+VG though! 

35 minutes ago, X_2_0 said:

How many mags has Retro Gamer out lasted, in terms of number of issues?  Crash and Zzap by a large number I'm sure, probably a while before it surpasses C+VG though! 

We're 8th I think.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

My uncle works for RG and he says issue 200 is entirely dedicated to the Atari Jaguar.  I can't wait!

So he didn't tell you about the mini supplement that's dedicated to the Jaguar CD?