Edge #338 | Google Stadia

IMG_2853.thumb.JPG.1f0d8b80f9911c87f5489e1ec2a2f660.JPG

Hype looks at, Haven, Martha is Dead, The Eternal Cylinder, Superliminal, Noita, and If Found.

Hype Roundup has a quick look at, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Minute of Islands, System Shock 3, Project Resistance, and Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise.

Features include Google Stadia, Collected Works looks back on Another World creator Éric Chahi.

Reviews:

Gears 5 - 6

Sayonara Wild Hearts - 9

Borderlands 3 - 7

Untitled Goose Game - 8

Hexagroove - 7

Overland - 5

Blair Witch - 4

Shinsekai: Into the Depths - 8

Pokémon Masters - 6

Assemble With Care - 5

Mutazione - 7

Where Cards Fall - 7

Daemon X Machina - 5

Erica - 7

The Making of Outer Wilds.

Studio Profile visits Revolution Software.

Time Extend looks back on Black & White.

The Long Game is still playing Overwatch.

I'm somewhat interested in Stadia. I'm still not convinced a fighting game or platformer would feel good on it but something like Cyberpunk would be ideal. Especially if we start to see games with a level of detail beyond what a console or (affordable) pc can achieve.

I'm moving early in the new year though so I cant guarantee I'll have a strong enough connection to make it worthwhile.

Good to see I'm not missing out on anything by giving up on Blair Witch. After a couple of hours running through a samey, boring forest while occasionally dabbling in thrillingly undercooked mechanics like 'pet the dog', 'shine your torch where the dog is looking to kill some twigs' and 'press pause at obvious parts of camcorder footage' I was done.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I can't believe the idiot hack frauds at Edge have guven Daemon X Machina a mere 5? WTF are they thinking. Don't get me started on Red Dead Redemption.

Reveal hidden contents

What's Daemon X Machina?[/spoiler ]

It's a Switch exclusive accessible mech game by some ex-Armored Core devs and well-regarded mech designers. It's fundamentally a good game but the story, structure and endgame are total shit. Online is where it shines, kind of like a Monster Hunter lite approach but there's no point getting better gear because there's no endgame content. 

21 minutes ago, Majora said:

Good to see I'm not missing out on anything by giving up on Blair Witch. After a couple of hours running through a samey, boring forest while occasionally dabbling in thrillingly undercooked mechanics like 'pet the dog', 'shine your torch where the dog is looking to kill some twigs' and 'press pause at obvious parts of camcorder footage' I was done.

C1864080-93A0-45B8-9C4A-5CED1AC1CE2C.thumb.jpeg.e8e3f4ee40e5946d1cbfaabf8fbf3716.jpeg

8 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I'm somewhat interested in Stadia. I'm still not convinced a fighting game or platformer would feel good on it but something like Cyberpunk would be ideal. Especially if we start to see games with a level of detail beyond what a console or (affordable) pc can achieve.

I'm moving early in the new year though so I cant guarantee I'll have a strong enough connection to make it worthwhile.

Online it should be better in theory for fighting games. 

They'll be able to have people playing on the same instance of the game and the latency should be less. 

22 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Untitled Goose Game - 8

This is a better score than I was expecting but less than I think it's worth. It's clearly worth a 9 because it's only really comparable to Astro Bot in the fun stakes.

Dear Edge writers. Please could you just give Ghost Recon an 8 or something next month. People are going all QAnon about it getting low scores And I can’t be arsed with having a thread full of it next month. It doesn’t matter what you actually write, just put in some ipsum lorem style nonsense, they’re not gonna read that bit anyhoo. TIA.

Funniest and most telling angry feedback I got back when I was reviewing games for a bit, was someone telling me off for giving my personal opinion in a review. I should keep my opinions to myself, and just stick to the objective qualities of the game. :)

And here it's 'if I'm having fun with a game, it objectively cannot be average, I bet they only used default settings, it has to be an 8' :D

10 hours ago, K said:

It is typical of Edge’s arrogance that they would print their opinion of Daemon X Machina and not mine. 

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Dear Edge writers. Please could you just give Ghost Recon an 8 or something next month. People are going all QAnon about it getting low scores And I can’t be arsed with having a thread full of it next month. It doesn’t matter what you actually write, just put in some ipsum lorem style nonsense, they’re not gonna read that bit anyhoo. TIA.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Funniest and most telling angry feedback I got back when I was reviewing games for a bit, was someone telling me off for giving my personal opinion in a review. I should keep my opinions to myself, and just stick to the objective qualities of the game.

And here it's 'if I'm having fun with a game, it objectively cannot be average, I bet they only used default settings, it has to be an 8'.

Where's this all coming from? There hasn't been a single complaint about scores in this thread.

And even is there was, why bother posting the scores if discussion/dissent isn't allowed? Cripes.