rllmuk
ScouserInExile

PS2 games via HDMI - best option?

I fancy dusting off some PS2 classics. Stuff like Gran Turismo, Burnout, Fight Night and a few others. Mostly Gran Turismo, really.

While I have a massive CRT to play it on, I'd really like to use the monitor I have for just about everything else I play. 

I figure I have two options - a PS2 to HDMI converter off Amazon or modding my unused PS3 to play PS2 games. What's likely to get the best results?

As the latter is a zero-cost option, I'd say go for it and see what you think of the results.

I did it recently and it's straightforward (if a bit time-consuming) :) Pretty sure I used one of MrMario's guides:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I figure I have two options - a PS2 to HDMI converter off Amazon or modding my unused PS3 to play PS2 games. What's likely to get the best results?

Either of those solutions will give you horrible LAG. I'd avoid. 

Get one of these new HDMI converters - 

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-HDMI-CABLES/SONY-PLAYSTATION-HD-RAD2X-CABLE

This is the cheapest way to get an old console working as best as it can on a flat screen via HDMI

43 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Either of those solutions will give you horrible LAG. I'd avoid. 

Eh? No it won't!

Edit: well, PS2 on PS3 won't, unless the panel Scouser uses has awful response times.

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

PS2 emulation has several frames of lag! 

:facepalm: I do try, but there we go. 

Ah right, I see what you're saying. I'll give it a test personally and let you know my findings - soz :)

40 minutes ago, Treble said:

Ah right, I see what you're saying. I'll give it a test personally and let you know my findings - soz :)

Even if you have a legit early PS3 with hardware based BC, there’s several frames of lag when the image is upscaled, this is absolutely the case. 

If if someone doesn’t care then that’s fine, but I find lag the no.1 bane of retro gaming with modern displays. 

I own both a Framemeister and an OSSC, but both are pricey if you want a low lag scaler/line doubler.

Those new RAD2X look so good and the guy who runs the retro gaming cables site is an old ntsc-uk forumite if I’m not mistaken. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yeah, no.

Not spending £48 on it....

How about spending £200 on my xrgb mini framemeister instead. 

Hey.  For what it's worth, I use a PS2 Component cable, attached to a Component-to-HDMI adapter box.  

A Tenner for the cable, £15 for the Adapter.

The results are very good indeed with no deserable lag.

On 04/10/2019 at 12:05, Jei said:

If you want one of the ps2hdmi adapters pop me a PM I’ll do it cheaper than amazon

I went for one of these from Jei - really great little adapters.

Very impressed with the picture and sound quality via HDMI for this price, can't fault it 8-)

On 05/10/2019 at 19:01, Isaac Azimuth said:

Hey.  For what it's worth, I use a PS2 Component cable, attached to a Component-to-HDMI adapter box.  

A Tenner for the cable, £15 for the Adapter.

The results are very good indeed with no deserable lag.

Is there any component cable you would recommend? I have cheap a ps2 hdmi adapter but the lag was noticeable last time I played but I guess that varies per adapter. I checked and my tv seems to have component in so I may try that directly to see what the picture looks like.

So the best cheap option would be to get a official PS2 component lead, then get a decent component upscaler to HDMI, I got a solid one off Amazon a few year back, but that model is no longer available.

The best option now would be a Open Source Scan Converter, but these aren't cheap with the cheapest official vendor Kaico International at £150 on  Amazon. Still for me and for Randomised Gaming it was money well spend, you have to configure it a bit with the PS2. As the OSSC doesn't get interpolated video right, progressive is flawless however. Of course if you don't want to spend quite a bit of cash on it this is not a good option.

Example videos using it:

PlayStation 2: DecAthlete collection

Overboard PlayStation 1 played on PS2:

My Samsung TV came with a wired composite adapter - for phono component (audio L, audio R and video) to some sort of 3.5mm jack.  A bit like this:

sgefksfs4q0kobwavsac.jpg.9c091409b1d3008fb3765b9c42b703e6.jpg

Worked fine when I used it for my PS2, although I forgot to set the display input as "Game Mode" so there definitely seemed to be lag when playing Dancing STage Euromix.  Or maybe it's cos I was awful.  Nope, it was definitely the lack of "Game Mode". :D 

I picked up one of the converters off Amazon. It was on sale and I had some credit on my account. It's a Kaico one, evidently, that should have been £15, but was reduced to a tenner, so I paid a fiver for it.

It seems to do the job perfectly well. I've been playing GT3 and it looks great. I fired up Tekken 5, which also seemed to be spot on. Can't complain so far, really.

• Upvote 2