rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dumpster

"I'm buying it to support the developers." Why?

I keep seeing posts that say, "I've pre-ordered this because I want to support it."  Or, "I bought this because I want to support the developers".  I see this in indie game threads, but I also see this in threads for Nintendo, Sega, I think I even saw it in a Microsoft thread once.  

Whenever I see this kind of comment, it is usually presented in a way that suggests that the customer isn't bothered about the product, they are not really going to play it, but they like the idea behind it and think there should be more products like this, and therefore they are going to buy it anyway. But I see this with games from international companies. Do they need our support? 

Thing is, if the developers made a good product then you should want to buy it anyway because it's good.  Looking even at indie titles, that Goose Game is number one in the charts because it's great fun.  I'd hate to think that, say, if one of my Amazon books became a bestseller that people were only buying it to support me.  I'd want to have that reassurance that it sells well because people like it.

Do you know what I mean?  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 14
  • Empathy 1

10 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I find it's usually deployed to cover the cognitive dissonance of paying real cash money for IAP nonsense. You have to either admit to yourself you got mugged into paying for the colour pink to adorn your virtual AK-47, or you are in actual fact a veritable altruist, supporting those hungry devs and their families.

I think maybe there's a wider issue about some sort of irrational base level guilt about spending money on something some people see as frivolous (gaming). Forums are rife with semi-apologetic terms for spending money. NeoGAF was spectacular was this. People would 'swing by the store' to 'drop some cash' and 'pick something up'. Like you wouldn't have went to the game shop except it was literally on your way home (when in the US it was probably about 50 miles away), and some money literally just fell out of your pocket, and as you were walking out, there was the game, just lying on the floor.

Other great phrases - "Chunk of change" - like it's just a load of 2ps or something. "Cup of coffee" comparisons also factor heavily. I love this shit, the little lies people tell themselves to justify doing what they were always going to do anyway. (Of course, the real skill is in identifying the ones you tell yourself.)

I've definitely bought stuff I didn't need to support creators. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

I can see the argument when it’s some tiny indie developer making very specific niche games for a market that’s not usually very well served.

It sounds bloody ridiculous when people are saying it about horribly cynical and predatory crap, that still tops the charts, like Mario Kart Tour and Ghost Recon from multibillion dollar corporations.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I've definitely bought stuff I didn't need to support creators. 

Well, you see, by putting forward this proposition that there are games you don't need, you implicitly accept that there are games you do need. I think it is the slightly uncomfortable implications of this that make people reach for these weaselly words for spending money on a hobby. We NEED food and shelter. Can we need games in the same way? It's not specific to games, it'd be the same if you are totally into Airfix or model trains whatever. Don't tell me there isn't a little bit of dissonance in there.

• Upvote 1

I rarely, if ever do this, but when I do, it's for games which I don't think are going to do particularly well but want to see more of. And I don't buy games I otherwise wouldn't, I just don't wait for them to be bargain basement price before I pick them up, like I do for everything else. For example, with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, it was a game I didn't think was going to do amazingly well and the developer was taking a risk by self publishing and making a shorter game with AAA production values for a reduced price (£24.99). I could wait and pick it up in a Steam sale for about £2, but I'd like to see them do more projects like that, so I forked over my 25 quid on launch day.

On the other hand, you have a whole bunch of people moaning in the Housemarque thread about how they don't like that they've decided to make something other than an arcade shooter while at the same time saying they didn't bother buying their last (excellent) game.

I'm a big believer in voting with my wallet. I won't buy a game I have some sort of problem with, whether it be IAPs, anti-consumer practices or issues I have with the developer or publisher, regardless of how much I want to play the game. Borderlands 3 looks great, for example, but I'll never know, because Randy Pitchford is a scumbag. I think it's pathetic when people will say how wrong/dodgy/whatever a developer/publisher is but can't stop themselves handing them money because they can't bear to miss out on a video game.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Well, you see, by putting forward this proposition that there are games you don't need, you implicitly accept that there are games you do need. I think it is the slightly uncomfortable implications of this that make people reach for these weaselly words for spending money on a hobby. We NEED food and shelter. Can we need games in the same way? It's not specific to games, it'd be the same if you are totally into Airfix or model trains whatever. Don't tell me there isn't a little bit of dissonance in there.

I mean multiple copies or physical versions when I can play without. 

I've done this a couple of times with indie games. Most recently I've bought Hollow Knight on two platforms. I don't think the developers need my money at this stage (I'm sure the game has made its budget back many, many times over at this point) but I feel I enjoyed my time with the game that much that the developers deserved more money than what I'd paid for it initially. 

I'll probably do the same thing with Return of Obra Dinn later this month. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not fully into this but will buy most Nintendo big first party releases, even those I'm 50/50 on just to ensure that they keep making this stuff.

I don't like shooters or fighting games but bought both Splatoon 2 & ARMS, Splatoon is one of my most played games on Switch, and ARMS was an interesting curio that tried something different, so I don't regard it as a waste.

I won't go full fanboy and buy anything even if it doesn't interest me (so Fire Emblem or that big hack and slash Warriors thing is a no no for me) but will always stump up on launch day for a full digital version on the UK store, as I like the idea Nintendo get all the money and will keep doing their own thing.

As I don't have to scrimp or save for games I can be a bit more cavalier in my approach like this, as don't have to get X hours to justify it to myself.

Next up is Luigi for me.

8 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I mean multiple copies or physical versions when I can play without. 

Sorry, I probably confused the issue in my quoting you, I am not disputing some people actually do want to support devs, or implying that you do not, just ruminating on the general use of language connected with hobby spending.

• Upvote 2

I'll do it for games I think aren't mainstream to support smaller developers. I've got a ton of Euro/American Truck Simulator add on's for example. Mostly as they continue to improve and refine the core game for free so it's nice to buy a bit of DLC now and again as (in my mind) a bit of a thank you. I do use and play them though! 

Equally I've backed Kickstarters in the name of supporting something that is a little on the niche side but I've felt deserved to see the light of day.

To me if you like and want to support something and you can afford it, why not. I probably wouldn't do it for a AAA release or for some super large studio backed by a platform holder, more for the smaller devs out there.

• Upvote 3

I sent an email when I was drunk to the developers of amazing ftp cash extraction iap machine Archero using the in-game messaging system to tell them well done for making such a great game.

They didn’t reply.

• Upvote 1

I'm planning on buying Untitled Goose Game on xbox.  i downloaded a dodgy version to play on my laptop as I assumed it wouldn't run and I dont have a switch or gaming PC.  In ran well, i loved it and will legally buy it to 'support the dev's' when I can on a format I own.   

• Upvote 1

I think it's more about "supporting" ideas, buying the kind of games that you want to see more of. From big games in series that I never thought would have a future (Nier Automata) through digital games that understand what a series is about (Sonic Mania) to indie projects that have hit upon a great concept (Katana Zero); I want interesting things to succeed so that we get more interesting things. :wub: 

E: oops, didn't see @NickC make the same point :blush:

• Upvote 4

I’ve done this on occasion for both music and games. I almost never buy new music anymore because I listen to it through Spotify, but I will buy the occasional album from an artist I really like. This is partly because I prefer having all their music in one place, rather than split between iTunes and Spotify - I like having a complete collection of their albums and singles with the right dates and album art etc – but I also just like the feeling of giving them money. I bought Holy Ghost!’s last album, and I don’t think I’ve ever actually listened to the MP3s, I’ve just played it through Spotify – they don’t ever gig in the UK, so this is my only real way of supporting them financially. They’re a group that I love that never really broke through in the way that other acts on the same label did, so I feel almost protective towards them, even though my £7.99 is unlikely to really keep them in analogue synths and rare groove for long.

I do this with developers too. Mostly indie ones, but I do the same thing with Bungie, and they clearly don’t need the money. Or rather, my financial input is so infinitesimally small that I can’t really be said to be supporting them in any real way, but I do it anyway because I’m a huge fan of pretty much everything they’ve ever done. I feel invested in what they do and whether they succeed, probably in the same way that Man City fans feel like they’re supporting the club and buying into something bigger by spending money on replica kits or those rattle things or whatever it is that football fans like. It’s irrational, but I do like the feeling of being a fan of something I love, and that occasionally translates into spending money on a hardback art book, or the collector’s edition of a game.

• Upvote 2

I bought Sayonara Wild Hearts on Switch when I could have played it for free on Apple Arcade. I get where people are coming from when they want to support devs for releasing games that they're worried might not find an audience. I guess the fear is that otherwise they will either go under, or will do a Housemarque by shifting direction (badly) and not making the games we want from them.

I never buy games or DLC just because of the studio who made it, as much as I love fire emblem I'm never paying £40 for the Shadows of Valentia season pass. Likewise I'm not arsed if I eventually buy FE Warriors second hand. I am also never putting a penny into that gatcha game FE Heroes.
That said, supporting the developers has been an excellent silver lining for when I have used my money badly. I purchased Guilty Gear Xrd on PS3 4 years ago, entered GG at a tournament, found out the PAL version of Xrd was never updated on PS3, forked out another £40 on an American PSN account to buy the game again so it would be patched and I could practice for it. Haven't played much Guilty Gear since then so if nothing else I hope my £80 went to letting that studio continue to do the work they do.

My hot-take regarding this and Game Pass. 

I saw this recently in the Gears (of War) 5 thread, where someone bought £40 worth of "iron" which is the games premium currency because they felt bad that they basically got the game for £2 on Game Pass. This is basically what Microsoft is wanting you to do, engaging in their premium currency economy by making the cost of initial entry as cheap as possible. They're generally devaluing games with this "too good to be true" offer. Because it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dude can you at least quote my post if you are going to snipe at me from another thread. I know youre just shitposting but at least try and keep a minimum standard of reference.

And I have no idea where you got the notion that I felt bad about playing the game on Game Pass. Ive been a paying subscriber to GP since day 1.

Yeah 40 pounds is what I had set aside to use around launch, just about what the season pass in G4 cost and also about what the Ultimate pass for Forza Horizon 4 cost. I got the new skin for Keegan this week and then Im all set. Gears 4 already had paid skins - RTJ and Griffin skins for around 15 pounds each. I dont see the problem here.

Ive never bought any DLC or skins out of pity with any developer. I buy them because I want to.

• Upvote 2

Because I know I won't make time to play every game I approve the look of, but want the developer to survive and make something even better.

• Upvote 1

I've contributed a few quid to several Kickstarters (Double Fine Adventure/Broken Age, Shenmue III, and the Amplitude remake) as a symbolic token of support, even though I knew I probably wouldn't buy the final game at full price.

• Upvote 1

If I buy something it's because I want to play it. That's what these game things are for, after all. Buying an extra copy or whatever isn't really going to help anyway, in terms of ensuring that the dev makes more games.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

My hot-take regarding this and Game Pass. 

I saw this recently in the Gears (of War) 5 thread, where someone bought £40 worth of "iron" which is the games premium currency because they felt bad that they basically got the game for £2 on Game Pass. This is basically what Microsoft is wanting you to do, engaging in their premium currency economy by making the cost of initial entry as cheap as possible. They're generally devaluing games with this "too good to be true" offer. Because it is. 

I wonder if they buy £20 worth of popcorn as nachos when they go to the cinema with a friend who has Meerkat Movies to help assuage the guilt of seeing the latest film by the plucky struggling Disney corporation for 'free'.

6 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I find it's usually deployed to cover the cognitive dissonance of paying real cash money for IAP nonsense. You have to either admit to yourself you got mugged into paying for the colour pink to adorn your virtual AK-47, or you are in actual fact a veritable altruist, supporting those hungry devs and their families.

I think maybe there's a wider issue about some sort of irrational base level guilt about spending money on something some people see as frivolous (gaming). Forums are rife with semi-apologetic terms for spending money. NeoGAF was spectacular at this. People would 'swing by the store' to 'drop some cash' and 'pick something up'. Like you wouldn't have went to the game shop except it was literally on your way home (when in the US it was probably about 50 miles away), and some money literally just fell out of your pocket, and as you were walking out, there was the game, just lying on the floor.

Other great phrases - "Chunk of change" - like it's just a load of 2ps or something. "Cup of coffee" comparisons also factor heavily. Hey I wildly overpay for some other stuff, this totally justifies my spending on this game! I love this shit, the little lies people tell themselves to justify doing what they were always going to do anyway. (Of course, the real skill is in identifying the ones you tell yourself.)

There are also people still paying 50 pounds for a disc in a box.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NickC said:

I've never thought of those comments to mean people want to support the developers as a group or as individuals. I've always seen those comments to mean 'I want to support what they are doing so that this product is successful and they will continue making similar products'. It's just a way of saying that you should buy stuff that you want to see more of, which seems obvious until you remember that companies like EA exist, making lots of money doing what they do while their turkey customers keep voting for Christmas.

Arkane Studios. :wub:

• Upvote 1