rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - October 19’ : Captain America and the Avengers [November’s Poll Active - Vote Now!]

November’s RGC Poll  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Soooo... looks like we have a clear winning game this month with the majority wanting to check out Captain America and the Avengers, which started out life as a scrolling brawling beat-em-up arcade game and received numerous ports across all the common systems (8 & 16 bit) in the early to mid 90’s. 

ESWAT seemed to generally be a bit of a disappointment from most who returned only to realise that it felt dull and dated. Hopefully this might be a bit more interesting. 

spacer.png

I remember Golden Axe receiving much love on here when we did that one, so it will be interesting to see how this compares being from a similar era. 

4B965DB4-331C-4D76-A802-560131C7E6FF.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The arcade version has lovely backgrounds.  They look hand painted.  The sprites themselves are quite small, although that is useful when the shooting sectiins start.

Megadrive version is good, SNES is poor, and the Game Boy and Game Gear versions are rubbish platform games.

Mega Drive version for me, on a Nomad.

Some funny bad translations.  The first mini boss has a silly exchange with Cap'n America before they start fighting.

Haven't played this for a while.  Hope it has aged OK.

• Upvote 1

Played the MD version briefly last night and didn't really get much from it. Hopefully it will click on further plays.

I don't really do MAME these days so will probably be sticking with the MD version.

I'm slightly disappointed that it wasn't one of the other titles, as it is it's another MD era game. Nevermind, put it onto PicoDrive on my PSP today and had a quick blast

So there's four characters to choose from, Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye and Vision(?) but there's it doesn't matter who you choose as they're all exactly the same? Do they not have combo's like in Golden Axe?

Quite like when it turns into a horizontal shooter

I think I've played this on MAME before but like to try some of the home versions, as I'd hope that there might be some variation in challenge (read: not as keen to use cheap deaths to wring more money out of you... :P )

EDIT: I had a quick go on the arcade version - it's good fun running around punching people but a lot of the enemies lack hitstun, so they'll take damage but their attack animations won't be interrupted. Could be tricky. I also looked at the NES game (presumably one of the "rubbish platform games" :D ) and it seemed okay, if a bit similar to other more popular action platformers on that console. ;) 

I do think the presentation on this is pretty good. I quite like the title cards that preceded each Scene and the little POWs and Wham's that pop up as you're hitting enemies is a nice little touch (for the time). The "AVENGERS!!!!" Voice sample is pretty awful though, as are the rest of the voice samples and as someone has already pointed out the translations a bit ropey.

Had a quick go on the snes version this evening, never having played any release previously.

First impression, the gameplay is rough- and it’s difficult 

8 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I think I've played this on MAME before but like to try some of the home versions, as I'd hope that there might be some variation in challenge (read: not as keen to use cheap deaths to wring more money out of you... :P )

EDIT: I had a quick go on the arcade version - it's good fun running around punching people but a lot of the enemies lack hitstun, so they'll take damage but their attack animations won't be interrupted. Could be tricky. I also looked at the NES game (presumably one of the "rubbish platform games" :D ) and it seemed okay, if a bit similar to other more popular action platformers on that console. ;) 

I haven't played it, but the NES game is a completely different game, rather than a port of the arcade game.

I’m wondering whether this is the game I saw in arcade club or it might have been something with Marvel in the title but there’s definitely a side scrolling beat em up in there which I think is 4 players where you’re fighting robots and things. 

One version of Captain America andthe Avengers did allow 4-player co-op play, according to wiki.  That must have been fun, especially in the shooting levels.  Must have been easy to cover pretty much the whole screen in beams / arrows / shield.

Had a play on this tonight, and had a blast.  I whacked the number of continues up to 7 to give myself a chance.

Iron Man is by far my favourite of the four characters on offer, but I usually use Cap Am as his shield attacks with a more satisfying thump than Iron Man's beam.  I never use The Vision - not being a great Marvel fan, I don't really know much about him.

Combat is rather basic, but fun.  If you play the SNES version, you have to get ridiculously close before you can hit someone melee-style, and there are very few items you can pick up and throw.  The Megadrive version improves on both aspects.

I didn't use the dash attack much in Golden Axe, but here it is a Godsend.  It doesn't just knock over the first enemy in your path, it clears everyone standing in your way.  That said, sometimes enemies stood just off screen and out of range.

The boss with the rotating blade is still an arsehole.  I always lose lives to him.

Dug these out for the full experience. My Captain America has seen better days.

It's great that these threads are motivating me to play stuff that's been in my collection forever and not really properly explored.

IMG_1148.thumb.JPG.57a34d7d36b9ad072f416dcce8e7b5f6.JPG

• Upvote 5

I played through the arcade version tonight.

The presentation is good, although I was disappointed by the small sprites. Some good voice samples throughout.

Some of the bosses are really easy, you can just stand over them and continually attack them, so every time they stand up they fall over again.

The shooter sections are quite a nice distraction although I was confused by the appearance of Tinkerbell...

(yeah I know it’s meant to be Wasp!)

All in all a pretty fun arcade game!

3 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I played through the arcade version tonight.

The presentation is good, although I was disappointed by the small sprites. Some good voice samples throughout.

Some of the bosses are really easy, you can just stand over them and continually attack them, so every time they stand up they fall over again.

The shooter sections are quite a nice distraction although I was confused by the appearance of Tinkerbell...

(yeah I know it’s meant to be Wasp!)

All in all a pretty fun arcade game!

Did you get to the end?

I enjoy this game, but I'm not very good at it.  The furthest I've got is to the start of the Moon laser stage.  The first boss finally did for me.  I don't think I'll ever see Red Skull.

I remember the 4-player arcade game being pretty popular and loads of fun. It held its own against the TMHT games which very few (if any) of the bigger brawler cabs managed to do.

My history with the MD port basically involved playing it on a mate's floppy disk pirate device a couple of times mainly to marvel at the sampled speech (which was more amusing than it was impressive). This must've been circa '93-94 so I was up for checking it out again as an adult.

I chose Vision, kept all settings at default and made it to a mid-boss of stage 3 (who literally called me puny before a single slap finished me off for good).

The audio was the highlight with its rich-sounding tunes and a surprisingly huge amount of clear voice samples - something I wouldn't have been able to appreciate as much back in the early '90s as I played mainly on a 14" PC monitor with a really poor tinny mono built-in speaker. In hindsight this was probably why I remember the speech being so hilariously muffled. I guess the joke was on me.

Other aspects of the game felt unpolished from the weird hit detection to general frame rate seemingly being locked to 30fps but with the odd background layer (on the first shooter section) being updated at a smooth 60...? 

The jank really stood out though with the projectile / pick up objects scrolling every odd frame to the background's even frame so they effectively float / wiggle with screen movement. Some of the colours looked odd too (but I couldn't put my finger on why exactly) as did the way in which life meter bars would behave over both objects and the background. It's almost as if most of the optimisation went on the sonics rather than the visuals or overall feel.

Having said all that though I didn't dislike my first go on this in about a quarter of a century.

I'll have another bash at some point with the same settings and expect to get a bit further (especially as I discovered that holding down fire was a block / shield way too late on the shooter section)..

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bum said:

Did you get to the end?

I enjoy this game, but I'm not very good at it.  The furthest I've got is to the start of the Moon laser stage.  The first boss finally did for me.  I don't think I'll ever see Red Skull.

Yeah but only by adding loads of credits in Mame. I found the levels hard going, lost most of my lives there while the bosses were, on the whole, pretty easy. Ultron was the most annoying.

I’ll have a go of the Mega Drive version later, I assume there will be less enemies swarming you, and a set number of continues?

You can set up to 7 continues in the Megadrive version.  You can also set the difficulty level.  I don't know how the number of enemies compares with the arcade version.

This never got released here in Japan.  My local game shop has a copy for which they want a cool 9,000 yen.

I had a shot of the Megadrive version today. It’s a really good port!

I played it on the default settings, as Cap America. First shot I didn’t last very long, but on my second I got past the under water stage. Definitely need to use the ranged attack as much as possible, particularly with the bosses. 

It’s a shame the boss energy bars doesn’t show the names, as I’ve no idea who I’m fighting :lol:

Apart from the movies, the cartoon  series and the Capcom games I’m not particularly clued up on Avengers villains...

Is there any easier way of using the ranged attack than having to press attack and jump at the same time? I know holding attack let's you guard.

I remember the first time I played this in an arcade on holiday I was blown away. When I found out in C&VG that this was coming out on the MD it made me chose the MD over the SNES (it wasn't listed for the SNES at the time). Very strange in hindsight :)

IMG_0432.JPG.279765715d65ff15101e18be65af40e3.JPG

Now this is more like it!  ESWAT is terrible and I couldn't bring myself to take part. This on the other hand is an excellent game.  I have a real soft spot for it from playing it in the arcades as a kid and I think it holds up really well today.  It's so quick and responsive compared to a lot of other scrolling fighters, and the smaller sprites make it much more comfortable to play.  The screen real estate allows plenty of breathing space which is the reason I favour beat 'em ups with smaller sprites over some of the higher profile examples (Asterix being another favourite).  I think it looks great as well, despite their small size the characters are well detailed and really nicely drawn and animated.  Backdrops are superb and look almost hand painted as someone mentioned previously.  I've completed it many times over the years but have yet to play it on the Pandora cabinet so this has been an excellent excuse to have a half hour Sunday morning blast with an old friend.

Not sure if this is on the SD card in my Super Analog NT or on the Mega Everdrive but both are supposedly complete sets, so they should be.  I've never played either console version and will definitely give those a try too!

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, wev said:

I know holding attack let's you guard.

Fuck me.  Really?  I had no idea.

Does this work for bosses too?

I don't think there is another way to do range attacks?  Too bad the Megadrive unused button doesn't do it.

Hope everyone is playing either arcade or MD version.  No othet version is any good.

Can't wait to get back to it, armed with block.

• Upvote 1

Played a bit today and it's not too bad actually. I've switched to the colour fixed version. Block doesn't seem to actually block though? I like the shooting section. 

4 minutes ago, Camel said:

Played a bit today and it's not too bad actually. I've switched to the colour fixed version. Block doesn't seem to actually block though? I like the shooting section. 

Does it not? :lol: I've not even tried using it, just noticed Cap held us shield up when I held the button