rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Luck

Your most played emulated game of the moment?

Whats getting the most play via emulation for you? With the upcoming Megadrive Mini I've been taking a peek through some of the lesser known games on this machine and my pick for the moment is:

Sub-Terrania
60424-sub-terrania-genesis-front-cover.j

Take a splash of Asteroids with some Lunar Lander and a slice of Thrust, add some polish and evolution along with a Jesper Kyd soundtrack (the game was made by his firm) and a just hard enough learning curve thats challenging but masterable and you have Sub-Terrania. Really addictive and a good laugh plus not many know about it so extra eHipster points for you!

Emulates perfectly on the PSC and you can throw plenty of Shaders on there as well to make it look extra pretty. Whats your choice?

• Upvote 6

If we count backwards compatibility as emulation: Gran Turismo 2 played on a PS3. 

One of those games I can either have a quick blast on or play for hours. Almost a comfort game. It has a great selection of cars, really good, if slightly twitchy, handling, one of the better competition structures... It's just a fantastic game all round.

• Upvote 1

Well...

50 hours in at the moment - I'm playing blind and I've recently hit a bit of a wall (then again, they're two of the central antagonists so I kind of expected this), but it's not like I haven't hit other walls during those 50 hours! My original plan was to have another attempt at playing the original Persona and make a thread recording my progress, but when that was done and people started talking P2 it just snowballed into me playing each of the older games and rambling about my experience. This one has a lot of old-fashioned clunkiness (it's one of the few without an official English-language PSP remake) and I found the other games a little more immediate, but perseverance is always rewarded. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

• Upvote 1

Not to be the thread police, but we should probably use this thread for emulated games specifically, otherwise you might as well use the Currently Playing... thread :)

I'm currently being wowed by Super Mario 3D World using Cemu.

It was gorgeous on the console, but at 1080p and above, at 60fps, it's astonishingly gorgeous.  I'll get some screenies later!

I play very few emulated games.  The one I play most is Kung Fu (Master), emulated NES port.  Love the game but the only actual release I have of it is on PS, and I'm rubbish at it, whereas I'm excellent at the NES one.

I generally seem to prefer older emulated games these days because

a) they are complete so need for patches
b) they are quick/accessible
c) they are fun!

plus not to mention quality of life hacks like savestates/rewind etc.. and I find so many of them look really good on modern screens with shaders/scanlines etc.. hence the thread. Modern games are good but the above reasons make me crave some emulated goodness...

• Upvote 2

Currently spending most time on Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island (SNES) on my Retropie. Those games will never die. SMW particularly is amazing fun.

I have a few that I always come back to:

• A Link to the Past
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  • NBA Jam TE (Arcade, version 2.0)
  • American Horseshoes (Arcade)

Playing LttP and American Horseshoes at the moment.

The SNES Mini really is something. I still can't believe that Nintendo actually made such a thing and did it so well as its perfect. Everything about it from its dimensions, instant on, chirpy theme, excellent pads, superb UI and lashings of nostalgia makes it a ten out of ten. Not to mention how well the games still hold up to this day and how many of them there are still to discover.

F Zero is the choice of the moment and for such an old school racer the playability is spot on as the physics, track layout and challenge is so good not to mention the music. Woooo the music. A part of me wishes Nintendo would remaster the GBA titles upto SNES quality as they were great installments or actually just do something with this excellent franchise beyond letting it gather dust.

Am tempted to go back and give Mario Sunshine a spin via Nintendont but am wondering how it holds up via Classic Controller without the analog bumpers as that was such a huge part of the game. Those jetpackless stages were so awesome, once again I'd happily take another game/expansion pack of just those as they were so well designed.

• Upvote 2

Myself and @MagicalDrop are trying to beat each others scores at Mr Do!  (*see the MR Do Thread in Retro folder).

If you've never played it, it's a very simple looking game where you dig tunnels, throw a ball at enemies or dig under apples so they fall and drop on the enemies.  There's lots of different skill and strategy to it, and it's such an old game that I'd love to know how much of that gameplay came about by accident.  It's a cracker of a game, and I'd recommend anyone with Mame to fire it up and post your scores in the Mr Do! thread.

• Upvote 2

Good shout, I'll check it as I used to play it a fair bit on the Dreamcast.

Reminds me of the old "How long can you stay on SF2 at the arcade with one credit" challenge back in the days, people literally had to pay me to let them play 2 player against someone else who won't whup them within 9 seconds!

*looks at me*

*thinks "Damn homie, in high school you was the man homie"*

*realizes is still the man*

*goes to find SF2 arcade machine*

I’d probably have to say for myself it could be Shin Megami Tensei on the SNES. I have been on this from the beginning twice and came close to finishing it but just stopped playing. I can’t claim both plays are emulation because the first was on the actual console with my wildcard back in 2004/5. Lost my save file and started again on my phone year’s later. 

Most returned to emulated game is probably Super Contra on the SNES. 

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

Sega Rally hands down.

What are you emulating it on and does it play perfectly please?

Speaking of which I had no idea there was a next gen reboot of Sega Rally. Interesting read up here about it:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/15/the-sega-rally-reboot-that-nobody-bought

Might explain why Sega shy away from arcade racers these days...

2 minutes ago, Luck said:

Speaking of which I had no idea there was a next gen reboot of Sega Rally. Interesting read up here about it:

On my phone, plays great. I use yaba sanshiro.

8 minutes ago, Luck said:

I bought it on both 360 and PSP. PSP version is actually best.

26 minutes ago, Oracle said:

On my phone, plays great. I use yaba sanshiro.

I've been meaning to check this out on the Shield as its supposed to be a really good well optimized emulator. Thanks for the reminder.

21 minutes ago, Camel said:

I bought it on both 360 and PSP. PSP version is actually best.

Really? In what sense as Im thinking of getting the PS3 version.

I completed it on both 360 and PSP and yep, I'd say the PSP version is more fun. I wasn't a fan really though, and didn't think it was a patch on Colin McRae: DiRT from the same year.

I've been dicking around with my modded xbox to see if I can dump my NeoGeo MVS and AES collections in trading, so a lot of those games on those systems which are not KoF/AoF/SS

but I guess, single most played? R-Type, because the modded Xbox has a number of emulators, a few of which have version of the aforementioned...

Whenever I'm at a loose end I inevitably end up firing up one of these for a quick blast on the Retropie, these get played all the time and pretty much equally.
Ghost'n'Goblins (still abysmal at this)
Toki
Bubble Bobble
Kung-Fu Master
Hypersports / Track and Field
Moon Cresta

I only ever use 1 credit so I don't just burn through and get bored of them.

Wonder Boy.

Getting the skateboard and skating through the second level can't be beat. 

It's my warm up game before cracking on with a retro gaming afternoon.

On 02/10/2019 at 13:58, Luck said:

Whats getting the most play via emulation for you? With the upcoming Megadrive Mini I've been taking a peek through some of the lesser known games on this machine and my pick for the moment is:

Sub-Terrania
60424-sub-terrania-genesis-front-cover.j

Take a splash of Asteroids with some Lunar Lander and a slice of Thrust, add some polish and evolution along with a Jesper Kyd soundtrack (the game was made by his firm) and a just hard enough learning curve thats challenging but masterable and you have Sub-Terrania. Really addictive and a good laugh plus not many know about it so extra eHipster points for you!

Emulates perfectly on the PSC and you can throw plenty of Shaders on there as well to make it look extra pretty. Whats your choice?

I just tried this the other night on an everdrive. It really seems great, never heard of it before.

Super punch out

Play alot of retro games on my phone through an app called game base, then just use my xbox controller connected to my phone through bluetooth, then use wireless display on the xbox to screen mirror my phone, jobs a good one

Superpunchoutbox.jpg

Screenshot_20191013-122433_GameBase.jpg