rllmuk
Anne Summers

Early 80s home computer "homages" to classic arcade games

You mean Karate Champ.

Crazy Comets is a funny one. I've always cited it as one of my favourite C64 games, but playing it for score recently, I've found it to be pretty horrible. Unfair insta-deaths and bugs galore. The music is still incredible though.

Guardian is a great game. There are also the souped up console versions of Dropzone. 

I remember enjoying the Asteroids knockoff Meteor Storm on the Spectrum with its fuzzy voice sample at the start.

Death Star Interceptor was pretty brazen eh?

• Upvote 2

Regarding Crazy Comets:

Simon Nicol loved playing Mad Planets, so for his first C64 game he tried making a conversion.

However, when he took it to show various publishers none of them wanted to publish it.

Undeterred he went away, polished it a lot and it became Crazy Comets.

Months of work went into improving it to become Mega Apocalypse, including the better starfield, sampled sounds, power-ups and multiplexed sprites.

• Upvote 1

I had a c16

ill let you guess what the following games by tynesoft were:

hop-it

climb-it

munch-it

shoot-it

Spoiler

This was probably the first game I ever played and definitely the first one I ever became addicted to, to the extent that my parents had to stage an intervention on their seven year-old son. It's called Planetoid in the video but was initially just released as Defender without any attempt to license it from Williams, in that charmingly naive prelapsarian era when people didn't even consider that a game could be someone's property rather than something that was just there to be enjoyed by everyone, like the wind or the sun.

It's a pretty solid version of Defender too - it's fast, smooth, and the sound effects capture something of the intense white-noise fury of the arcade version. Despite having played Defender millions of times since on MAME and the Game Boy Colour, this is still how it looks in my head.

• Upvote 4

On 01/10/2019 at 22:55, gone fishin' said:

A few more C64 games inspired by the arcades

First, a few Defender clones

Dropzone by Archer Maclean

Pfft Atari 400/800 please. The C64 version was a port.

Loved Dropzone.

The [Commodore] 64 Dropzone is about 46k [kilobytes] long and consists of 15,000 lines of sparsely commented code with around 350 subroutines and around 3000 labels. Those who can reach Megastar status on the 64 should have had enough practice to attempt an Atari supervised Dropzone mission. The Atari, being the Porsche of home computers, is capable of running Dropzone 2.5 times faster than the 64 and can handle any amount of blobs on screen, even when you release a Strata Bomb. It is visually, sonically etc., identical and about 12K shorter. However, the 64 is still a respectable BMW316

• Upvote 2

On 02/10/2019 at 04:14, Camel said:

I loved Loco. Slightly off topic but I think Phobia was probably my favourite Crowther game. 

Battlezone on the VCS was straight Atari, not Activision.

Thrust > Gravitar.

Yep, poorly communicated on my part. I put Battlezone up for comparison purposes.

• Upvote 1

One of the best homages that blew me away was Gridrunner. 

Take a pinch of Centipede

Add the X/Y zappers from Solar Fox

And you get a stone cold classic.

There's just no comparison. It's so much faster than Centipede and Solar Fox making them pretty much redundant.

• Upvote 1

Probably already mentioned The Empire Strikes Back on the 2600.

Jeff Minter's twist on the Atari 8 bits

The C64 version didn't look half as good. We'd have to wait until Batalyx for a better port.

• Upvote 1

I remember this as part of a lawsuit back in the day. Was released as Who Dares Wins 2 with different level layouts so as not to be such a blatant copy of Commando.

Others ran with the Commando concept and took it in a different direction. Making it a little more open world.

Speaking of Elite...a bit rich of them to complain about Commando clones while selling this.

Back at the time this seemed incredibly original. I think we all know the inspiration for this one.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Take a pinch of Centipede

Add the X/Y zappers from Solar Fox

There's just no comparison. It's so much faster than Centipede and Solar Fox making them pretty much redundant.

Voidrunner took this even further and is probably the best game of its type. POD is similarly brilliant.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Camel said:

Gyroscope was a really good Marble Madness clone. I always found Spindizzy a bit too frustrating to be really enjoyable.

It's very much like Who Dares Wins / Rambo where one was a clone, the other an open world arcade adventure. I loved Spindizzy but only when I poked an infinite time cheat.

22 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Speaking of Elite...a bit rich of them to complain about Commando clones while selling this.

Back at the time this seemed incredibly original. I think we all know the inspiration for this one.

Had this on both Spectrum and Commodore 64 and loved both. The Spectrum one was slightly better IMO.

When it came out I wasn't familiar with Punch-Out at all and assumed its inspiration came from Sega's Heavyweight Champ which had the same viewpoint and a wireframe fighter. It also had a unique cabinet with handgrips that you held and literally threw punches. The whole top part of the cabinet swivelled round so you could duck and weave.

IMG_1169.JPG.1663cc9ab2ac1cb0055fbd8def17d799.JPG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

Check out the story of gridrunner here

http://www.minotaurproject.co.uk/grr_hist_gr.php

As you can see he does not mention Solar fox explicitly so not sure if it was an influence or not

And can we please ensure we all know the best version of gridrunner is the VIC-20 original (as preferred by Jeff himself). A game I played endlessly on my VIC back in the day :)

s_hog05.png

• Upvote 1

On 01/10/2019 at 15:33, Unofficial Who said:

Activision had a bit of form when it came to adapting arcade games and giving it a twist.

i loved Beamrider when i was a kid, it was one of the first Spectrum games I bought (second full price game, the first being another Activision game - Pitfall II). I always thought it was influenced by early single screen shooters like Space Invaders, Galaga etc but I remember years later seeing this and thinking "so basically they wanted to make this game but the main console it was developed on (the intellivision) could nowhere near support the number of sprites!

Beamrider (original intellivision version)

It's still a great game, although I now prefer the C64 version (like a lot of early Activision games, the C64 version tended to be the best - although a lot of die hard Atari fans would disagree!) 

• Upvote 2

I always assumed it was their take on Juno First, but they came out in the same year and I've no idea which was first so maybe not.

I love both the C64 and 2600 versions of Beamrider. Juno First is fucking amazing though.

On 06/10/2019 at 13:43, Camel said:

Had this on both Spectrum and Commodore 64 and loved both. The Spectrum one was slightly better IMO.

When it came out I wasn't familiar with Punch-Out at all and assumed its inspiration came from Sega's Heavyweight Champ which had the same viewpoint and a wireframe fighter. It also had a unique cabinet with handgrips that you held and literally threw punches. The whole top part of the cabinet swivelled round so you could duck and weave.

IMG_1169.JPG.1663cc9ab2ac1cb0055fbd8def17d799.JPG

Frank Bruno's boxing on C64 was a direct rip off of Super Punchout. The first 3 boxers are a direct lift with name changes.