Spitting Image again

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Kinda disagree with this: the sketch isn't executed well enough to be very funny (and even at less than two minutes it goes on too long), but the basic idea of the joke is. Taking someone who is well known for their mannerisms and for being passionate about an issue, and presenting them in a situation where that passion seems ridiculous, is a good source of comedy.

You could flip the joke round: take a football manager with a reputation for getting angry on the touchline, and present him in Greta's place giving a speech in front of the UN, so he's ranting about climate change instead of players and referees. That would be the same basic idea (celebrity + football + climate change), but punching up instead of down.

But this is not supposed to simply be comedy, it is supposed to be satire. And in satire you mock those in power, not those holding power to account. If you mock those challenging power then you are defending the status quo.

Aaron Bastani best summed up the writing as 'Matt Forde joining the show raring to have a pop at Corbyn, and then a year later realising that he actually does not want to make fun of Starmer'. The show feels like a comedy written by a group of chums having to satirise the current state of politics but not wanting to rock the boat too much, because it might upset some mates or make it difficult to get a column in one of their targets' newspapers down the line.

The first appearance by Greta was the only laugh in the whole of the first episode for me. But it's a silly throwaway joke that only works once.

The clip from the second episode seems more like what I was expecting - taking the piss out of someone for being angry and passionate, as if that's just the way she is about everything. Its joke is that activist types are looking for things to complain about. It's so lazy.

You could quite easily make a satirical sketch using those sets and puppets, highlighting how utterly ridiculous it is that being deeply passionate about watching strangers play football is completely socially acceptable, but being deeply passionate about preventing the world being ravaged by climate change is derided.

But there's absolutely nothing satirical in their sketch. It's like their thought process was just "Greta......frowny.....passionate....passionate football fans....comedy"

55 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

But this is not supposed to simply be comedy, it is supposed to be satire. And in satire you mock those in power, not those holding power to account. If you mock those challenging power then you are defending the status quo.

Aaron Bastani best summed up the writing as 'Matt Forde joining the show raring to have a pop at Corbyn, and then a year later realising that he actually does not want to make fun of Starmer'. The show feels like a comedy written by a group of chums having to satirise the current state of politics but not wanting to rock the boat too much, because it might upset some mates or make it difficult to get a column in one of their targets' newspapers down the line.

See also HIGNFY. 1st episode of the new series has a pop at Corbyn (no mention of Starmer). 2nd episode Starmer is only mentioned when the host says 'That Kier Starmer is great isn't he?'.

Only the viewers on Gogglebox have satirised Starmer so far.

This is true. My wife and I have started watching Gogglebox on Fridays (I jokingly suggested she should so that she knows what her friends on Facebook are talking about), and the political analysis seems more relevant than HIGNFY has been for years. In that they simply call everyone tw@ts.

I switched on HIGNFY the other week and they played a clip of Johnson sitting on the floor of a school or something doing something inane, and the audience laughed warmly and I just thought you fuckers haven’t learned a thing, have you? Turned it off and watched the Boys instead. At least that has something relevant to say about the state of the world.

18 hours ago, PK said:

You could quite easily make a satirical sketch using those sets and puppets, highlighting how utterly ridiculous it is that being deeply passionate about watching strangers play football is completely socially acceptable, but being deeply passionate about preventing the world being ravaged by climate change is derided.

But there's absolutely nothing satirical in their sketch. It's like their thought process was just "Greta......frowny.....passionate....passionate football fans....comedy"

I think spitting image of old is being viewed with some rose tinted spectacles. Dont forget they also came up with the teenage mutant ninja turds sketch back then, which to 14 year old me was hilarious at the time because it was poo and took place in a sewer, but not particularly satirical. Alongside their David Baddiel puppet who just said "it's shit" to everything.

53 minutes ago, sir podger said:

I think spitting image of old is being viewed with some rose tinted spectacles. Dont forget they also came up with the teenage mutant ninja turds sketch back then, which to 14 year old me was hilarious at the time because it was poo and took place in a sewer, but not particularly satirical. Alongside their David Baddiel puppet who just said "it's shit" to everything.

"Cowadunga!"

:lol:

I remember it well.

By that point though it had gone down hill and didn't have the impact it had in the first few series. I think Rob Grant and Doug Naylor who had been editing the scripts had moved on by that point too. That's not to say the early series were all super-worthy and biting satire, there was definitely a mean-spirited vein and lots of cheap jibes, it just mixed those in with material that just cut to the heart of things like the Thatcher government and the dysfunctional relationship between Thatcher and Reagan.

There has to be something in the Ofcom rules that stops decent satire, because TV satire appears to be unable to give an opinion or recommendation. Last week in America the South Park Pandemic Special had Trump using a flamethrower to destroy the only hope of a Covid vaccine in order to keep him in power, with Trump looking directly to camera and reminding people to vote.  John Oliver's show really holds people to account and uses facts to create a persuasive argument.

But HIGNFY (which used to be much stronger in the Angus Deaton era) started doing jokes John Prescott being fat and never looked back.  Apart from the occasional rant by Ian Hyslop the show has no political edge at all and this was plain to see in the last series where , without the audience laughter to confirm things, it was unbelievably poor. Every joke felt flat.  

Frankie Boyle seems to be in a similar situation, but by being himself he is over the top about everything, horrible to everyone and gets away with it.  I don't see anything on TV in the UK that has a definite side to it's opinion.  There's nothing that says "The conservatives are all crooks, here are the facts why, and here is why you should vote Labour".  It's all surface level joshing, dolphins in a bathtub and jokes about how fat or old people are.

The programme line you're describing would be prevented, I think, by broadcasting rules. Saying "The conservatives are all crooks, here are the facts why, and here is why you should vote Labour" is not impartial or factual and can't be made. But there's nothing preventing satire from having an opinion. Those Mash Report segments where they had real opinions on things were actually decent, Frankie Boyle's monologues can make good and one-sided points. 

Okay, I don't want to flood this thread with lots of mems and whatnot but saw this and some of the comments under it made reference to how the new Spitting Image should be doing stuff like this that actually dares to make a point. Set your opinion of Kier Starmer aside and watch this for the way it makes the point.

5 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I don't think you need to worry about upsetting many Starmer fans here. It's a great video and shows what you can do from outside the establishment.

Aye, I just wanted to separate the message from the form and concentrate on how they did it. I've been on Twitter too long and clearly expect people to mix the two up. Bloody social media.

Okay finally got around to watching this.

Initially it has the same feel as the old shows, it uses real puppets and largely sticks with the same format. The puppets look like they've been made the same way, I'm curious to know if they got the original caricaturists in. The material is really weak. Surface-level satire that goes for easy jokes largely around personality and looks with the odd touch on a character's hipocracy or misdemeanours in the past, but certainly nothing more cutting than that. It's very polite. Trump is an oaf who can't stop tweeting, Johnson is feckless, verbose and stupid, you get the picture. The American influence in this means it's very much about politicians and well-known personalities rather than like in the old show where you'd regularly see parodies and z-list celebs. The song at the end was frankly embarrassing, not a patch on the old show's superb pop parodies.  Despite the UK having some amazing impressionists the voices here were absolutely awful. A real shame as they have Lewis McLeod in there who does a much, much better comedy Trump than Matt Forde who, despite an obvious lack of talent for voices, seems to do half of them.

As was hinted at earlier this was comedy made by people in the establishment, writers and producers thinking carefully about their career in media, pulling their punches. It's all rather smug and limp, at no point did I go "oh my god, did they just do that?" like with the original series.

If you go on the BritBox website they're going hog wild for it. Every menu oozes Spitting Image. Even when you sign up the first and last name fields have Spitting and Image in them. I'd like to say this will do one series and die but it's so establishment-friendly I can see this getting praised to the skies.

Just embarrassing, a waste of time and gives two fingers to the original.

Yeah, I think they have a responsibility there. They have a lot more power than they think.
The boiled down caricatures loomed much larger in my head than the real people when I was growing up.
You have to be very careful with what you take out. The essence of the person you're left with, it has to be truthful, regardless of your political views.

They've just taken the carefully crafted mask Boris has made for himself and replicated it in rubber form.
It's like tory propaganda in entertainment form. Sort of the adult equivalent of having Ronald Mcdonald hosting a kids show in that regard.

Speaking of which, Have I got News For You effectively got Boris Johnson elected, that's how fucking much it fails as satire at this point.

I agree with you about some of the other people as well. I remember watching one episode and thinking "Is prince Harry stupid? I don't remember ever thinking that. Oh well, I'll go with it, I suppose"

Last nights was the weakest episode by far but I'm gonna be honest, I'm still semi enjoying watching it. It has a couple of nice moments per episode and it ticks along nicely, something colourful and dumb at the end of the week to relax to.

It's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, I think that's what's shocked me the most. It could be a lot better with a few changes.

On 16/10/2020 at 17:49, Vimster said:

Okay, I don't want to flood this thread with lots of mems and whatnot but saw this and some of the comments under it made reference to how the new Spitting Image should be doing stuff like this that actually dares to make a point. Set your opinion of Kier Starmer aside and watch this for the way it makes the point.

Jesus, John Shuttleworth's went right downhill.

4/5 stars not bad though! I myself have not seen any full episodes of this yet. It seems to be polarising opinion, but no-one can deny that it’s certainly a classic British televisual institution. I’ve been studying UK politics recently also. (Patel as a vampire is amusing)

Can’t they just show this on BBC1 though?

(Dominic Raab actually has a black belt in karate)

It’s an ip that the public paid for , and as with all the rest of the content on britbox, it should not be accessible via a paid service. 

at the absolute worst, it should piggy back an existing streaming service e.g Netflix , 4od, iplayer , YouTube.

I have no issue with it being sold abroad though ....

so perhaps just free in the uk makes sense, and it’s own streaming app...

Spitting image is much needed I think in the modern age of carefully curated / controlled media. It shouldn’t be tucked away on yet another £7 a month service.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It was an ITV show.

obvs

but we paid for it by submitting to their advertising and buying the subsequent goods.

it’s a British show , should be free for brits. By all means sell it to the yanks.