rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
amc

Absinthe

So I've got a bottle of La Fee Parisienne and I've just had my first tipple. Very nice it is as well, poured some cold filtered water over the sugar and that's that. I'm just wondering if that's the only way to drink it or whether anyone has any recipes for some type of cocktail. I have plenty of mixers and bitters etc.

I was going to have a few bottles of Peroni alongside but I think it's probably best to stick to the Absinthe and avoid mixing my drinks. At nearly 70% I'll only be taking it slow with two or three drinks. Hopefully.

My favourite use of absinthe is in a Corpse Reviver #2

Its just a rinse in the glass, but it really makes an ordinary sour into one of the best drinks you can enjoy. 

1 ounce gin

1 ounce Lillet

1 ounce fresh lemon juice

1 ounce Cointreau

1 drop absinthe or pastis

You can sub the lillet for cocci americano or in a pinch, dry vermouth. 

For a lower abv drink you could stir up a Chrysanthemum 

2 ounces dry vermouth

1 ounce Benedictine

1/4 ounce absinthe

Garnish: orange twist

• Upvote 1

Oh I just remembered the sazerac has an absinthe rinse as well. 

Absinthe rinse

2 oz Rye or Cognac or a little of each

1 tsp sugar Syrup

4 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters

1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir and serve without ice in a rocks glass, twist a lemon rind over the top and discard. 

You could also try a Joy Division, if you want something closer to a martini. 

You could try a little dry white wine with Angostura but it won't be quite the same. 

If you have a shop in stumbling distance, most places will stock a dry vermouth, but maybe wait until you can get the cocchi as it makes a much better drink. 

You could just make a gin sour with a dash of absinthe, if that's the way you were leaning. 

• Upvote 1

I think I'll save the shopping list for another time. Three generous helpings and I'm getting my glad rags on and heading over to one of the local pubs. Certainly gives you a nice buzz and a bit of pep. Appreciated Gaz, have over 2/3 of a bottle left for some experimentation. 

• Upvote 1