IGNORED

Disco Elysium

SM47

The S/T on Bandcamp is stellar too. Superb ambient music that I’ve had playing whilst working.

I’d largely fallen out of love with games of late but this was so special and compelling to me, it really pulled me back in. I’m looking out for any other media that put out with great interest.

To be honest I think Disco Elysium is one of the few games released in the last decade that actually transcends its medium. It has so much to actually say, and is meaningful beyond the typical gaming experience. I'm struggling to think of a more important work for the form since games were first used as a storytelling platform.

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really, enjoyed this, so much GOTY I went back to 2019 here and voted for it so the world was cosmically right.

As everyone has said, the writing, the sound track (right away I was like, wow, they are doing some amazing sound alikes for postrock / shoegazey type stuff - no surprise to find in here it was British Sea Power!), the visual style amazing.

I know it's somewhat of a trope, but I'd like to think the waking up in an apartment with no memory was at least a nod to shadow run. It feels to not do it justice to say this, but I thought it was an amazing mix of shadowrun and grim fandango in a weird way.

I loved the capturing of the duality between responsibility and partying and the liberal use and reference to narcotics.

I ended up as a communist 

Spoiler

and had Cuno by the end, showdown without my gun - I think as I'd refused to work Evrat for the most part - I assume that's how you get the gun back but could be wrong

I think I want to play it through again, but bit worried I might start to tarnish the magic - the writing is so good I think it would easily carry another play through, particularly if I went for an ultra authoritarian facist. I think a second play through as a significantly different character might be the limit though, not sure I've got enough brain space to do 3 play throughs and remember which option to get which dialogue trees.

For anyone just getting into it I'd echo Benny's advice and just play it however you want and stop thinking about the meta, definitely RPG it.

On 13/12/2021 at 20:11, Boozy The Clown said:

Finished this last night. I quit the force in a foul mouthed rant after having my sexuality questioned by a scouse kid. 

I was playing for around 20 minutes from the beginning.

Interesting take because I have a similar thing that’s really fucked me off. 

I started playing last night as it’s been on my must play list for ages. I was not sucked in straight away because it takes quite a long time to get through the scenes because of all the dialogue. However after a while I started getting into it and I was enjoying the free form dialogue and clearly it’s brilliant written. I was playing my character as a bit of a 70’s wanker so saying slightly antagonistic things and being a bit of a prick. Still with a bit of balance. 

I saved early on but then got into a conversation in the same area as boozy which very promptly and seemingly without any real build up caused me to have a break down and end my game. Unfortunately I had not saved for about an hour and have apparently lost all my progress. WTF? I don’t recall any prompt to save often and IF you can die by saying the wrong thing then how is that encouraging you to truly role play and if that’s a game decision then surely it needs to have a more robust auto save option so it doesn’t waste your time?

I am really debating whether I go back and try again. I want to but do I need to save before every conversation in case I just die because the conversation has taken a weird turn? Felt like a choose your own adventure book where I had forgotten to keep my finger in the page. 

I'm surprised how many people seem to be dying in this. I don't think I did once in the whole game.

Clearly I'm a true Superstar Cop who says no to drugs

Spoiler

I didn't say no to any drugs

Also for my money this is the first "game" I can think of where not being able to go back after you die from bad decisions feels perfectly right and proper.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I'm surprised how many people seem to be dying in this. I don't think I did once in the whole game.

Clearly I'm a true Superstar Cop who says no to drugs

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't say no to any drugs

Also for my money this is the first "game" I can think of where not being able to go back after you die from bad decisions feels perfectly right and proper.

Sounds like I may just have had some bad luck. Will try again as it’s clearly a very accomplished video game. 

4 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Interesting take because I have a similar thing that’s really fucked me off. 

I started playing last night as it’s been on my must play list for ages. I was not sucked in straight away because it takes quite a long time to get through the scenes because of all the dialogue. However after a while I started getting into it and I was enjoying the free form dialogue and clearly it’s brilliant written. I was playing my character as a bit of a 70’s wanker so saying slightly antagonistic things and being a bit of a prick. Still with a bit of balance. 

I saved early on but then got into a conversation in the same area as boozy which very promptly and seemingly without any real build up caused me to have a break down and end my game. Unfortunately I had not saved for about an hour and have apparently lost all my progress. WTF? I don’t recall any prompt to save often and IF you can die by saying the wrong thing then how is that encouraging you to truly role play and if that’s a game decision then surely it needs to have a more robust auto save option so it doesn’t waste your time?

I am really debating whether I go back and try again. I want to but do I need to save before every conversation in case I just die because the conversation has taken a weird turn? Felt like a choose your own adventure book where I had forgotten to keep my finger in the page. 

You have a red health bar and a blue morale bar. You can level up so that each bar has multiple segments, because once the last segment is gone on either one it's game over (fwiw I played throughout the whole game without bothering to level those up, it depends on your playstyle)

At the point in the game you describe you should have a bunch of healing items. Left on the dpad to heal red, right to heal blue. When you're on your last segment and your health or morale gets damaged (as has happened to you), the relevant bar starts slowly ticking down and you get some danger warning. It takes pretty long for the bar to tick all the way down to zero, so you have plenty of time to hit either left or right to heal yourself.

In short, you let yourself die and watched it happening without doing anything :)

(Happened to me the first time too before I figured out I could have healed myself)

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You have a red health bar and a blue morale bar. You can level up so that each bar has multiple segments, because once the last segment is gone on either one it's game over (fwiw I played throughout the whole game without bothering to level those up, it depends on your playstyle)

At the point in the game you describe you should have a bunch of healing items. Left on the dpad to heal red, right to heal blue. When you're on your last segment and your health or morale gets damaged (as has happened to you), the relevant bar starts slowly ticking down and you get some danger warning. It takes pretty long for the bar to tick all the way down to zero, so you have plenty of time to hit either left or right to heal yourself.

In short, you let yourself die and watched it happening without doing anything :)

(Happened to me the first time too before I figured out I could have healed myself)

Thank you for taking the time to write that. I don't remember getting told about the healing items but I probably missed it and was treating it too much like a point and click adventure and forgetting its RPG elements. 

16 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Thank you for taking the time to write that. I don't remember getting told about the healing items but I probably missed it and was treating it too much like a point and click adventure and forgetting its RPG elements. 

No problem. If you're ever short, check the store next to the hotel. It sells both kinds of healing items.

5 hours ago, Timmo said:

Are there any 'before I play' tips for this I should know, or should I just throw myself into it?

I think the bits about healing health and morale are key, given some of the responses in here. I suspect that is covered by the tutorial now though.

976375487_Screenshot2021-12-23at14_44_07.thumb.jpg.8e043c3cf0c5cb21342bb8fe5ad307ea.jpg

We’re in the business of mysteries here at ZA/UM and so to celebrate the holiday season we’ve just added some new ones to Disco Elysium - The Final Cut. We’re calling this the Jamais Vu Update. 

To discover what we’ve done we encourage you to play strangely and thoroughly. You’ll have to do your best sleuthing or get chatting to your fellow players to figure it all out. 

We’ll give you a few clues to get you on your way. It is the season of giving, after all. 

Perhaps it’s worth stopping a while to admire the scenery

The cold coastal waters are known to wash up the lost

Knock, knock, lieutenant

This is our special way of thanking you all for a HARDCORE 2021 alongside a 55% discount as part of the Steam Winter Sale, from 22nd December 2021 - 5th January 2022. It’s our lowest price ever so if you’re yet to experience the game, get it now! Or if you’re in the holiday spirit, consider gifting it to a friend!

Tempted with this on sale because loads of people have gushed praise about it. 

Is it a complicated one to get into though? I don't mind a bit of logical thinking but nothing too extreme, from what I've seen there's a lot of point allocation etc. Is it an accessible game? Or do you need to put some serious time into it to "get" it? 

Only asking cos my backlog is forever growing lol and don't have the time really at the moment to really learn another new game in depth. 

However you play it mechanically, you can just follow your instincts and get a brilliant experience. It's probably one of the best written games in existence, and for an RPG that's dialogue and character (and idea) heavy that's all the recommendation you should need.

4 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

However you play it mechanically, you can just follow your instincts and get a brilliant experience. It's probably one of the best written games in existence, and for an RPG that's dialogue and character (and idea) heavy that's all the recommendation you should need.

Yeah, it's one I'll definitely play at some point. I just have a lot of RPG's lined up and on the go atm. Hence, not sure if worth buying on sale now when I probably won't play it for a good long time. Thanks for the input though, will have a think on it :) Was well pleased when the Xbox port was announced so will get stuck in at some point. 

15 hours ago, Benny said:

PC.

Because pointing and clicking is the most Disco.

Ta, gone for PC, even though my consoles are more powerful. I've always struggled with text heavy games on console. Plus it was half the price of the Xbox version.

I drifted away from this and, now coming back to it and laughing out loud multiple times I think it's maybe the greatest game I've ever played. And I don't say that lightly. I'm worried nothing will ever be as good as this, actually :( 

I bought this the other night, only managed an hour or so but it’s interesting.

Its a bit more wordy than I would like. The narration voice over Isn’t that good, it’s very man in a booth reading a script for the first time.

Divinity had perfect narration voice over.

The other voice work is good, I love how the cops are French.

Artwork is really nicely done.

Playing on ps5 and it loads like a PS4 game, no idea why, Unity engine I guess…