IGNORED

Disco Elysium

SM47

Hmmm... To be honest I was hooked as soon as I saw myself in the mirror. I burst out laughing and have loved it since. My playthrough is going pretty good too - I just stuck my thumb up my arse in front of my colleague to "ward off spirits".

9 hours ago, Jolly said:

I'm sort of struggling with this a bit after three or four hours. I'm just not really gelling with the world. Am I likely to suddenly turn a corner? 

Everyone with an opinion I respect seems to love this so I'm a bit huffy it's not clicking :lol:

I love this game but there was a point at the start where it felt like I was just running about a lot. You get to a point where more conversations and locations open up and then a bit of momentum is behind you.

I’m also near the start and it all felt a bit ‘wacky for wacky’s sake’, but a few conversations had felt like they had real heart to them. 

Think I’m going to try to focus on the case just to get things moving - so many distractions to dig into, though. 

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

I’m also near the start and it all felt a bit ‘wacky for wacky’s sake’, but a few conversations had felt like they had real heart to them. 

Think I’m going to try to focus on the case just to get things moving - so many distractions to dig into, though. 

Once things open up, I think there is PLENTY of time to do whatever you fancy. I feel like sticking to the main case is useful early on to get to that point.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I finally started this after buying it as soon as it arrived on Xbox. A few hours in and how shall I put this. It's one of the best games I've EVER played. It's like... like someone thought let's take all the good bits of Planescape Torment and add style and make it gorgeous. It's like... they decided to make a game just for me. This is EXACTLY my kind of game. I'm completely immersed, mesmerized, and enthralled. I love *everything* about this game.:wub::wub::wub:

It really is brilliant. It took a moment or two to get into my brain but now it’s really, *really* in my brain. Not just in a  ‘thinking about playing it when I’m not playing it’ but actually changing the way I’m thinking about things. Really quite extraordinary.

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I finally started this after buying it as soon as it arrived on Xbox. A few hours in and how shall I put this. It's one of the best games I've EVER played. It's like... like someone thought let's take all the good bits of Planescape Torment and add style and make it gorgeous. It's like... they decided to make a game just for me. This is EXACTLY my kind of game. I'm completely immersed, mesmerized, and enthralled. I love *everything* about this game.:wub::wub::wub:

I knew it. 😁

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I knew it. 😁

Oh Cyh, this game is PERFECT. I played it for one evening so far and already it's one of those rare games I keep thinking about all day whenever I'm not playing it. That's happened before with a few games but never this fast. Usually that's after a few days or a week of playing. But this game.. it clicked when I analysed the broken window and had a skill check to grab the tie. I was already all in. But then I looked in the mirror and I knew - this is going to be one of my all-time greats. And so far it's just getting better and better. Im sure I'll reach the same point as @friedgold that it's going to impact the way I think about real life.

THIS is why I love videogames, THIS is the high I'm always chasing when playing games. Most are good or even really good. But games that click with me like Disco Elysium, that's what I'm really after. Only a handful of those exist. Man, what a rush

I totally understand. But I assume this game is from a relatively small dev studio and they simply couldn't simultaneously release on other platforms. If it's any consolation, this will probably feature prominently on my Game of the Decade list so please stick around on the forum for a few more years.

I’m genuinely really jealous of everyone playing this for the first time. Amazing game. I spent about an hour last night Googling “games like Disco Elysium” just to see if I could fill the DE shaped hole. The best suggestion seems to be Kentucky Route Zero, although I’m thinking about getting back into Divinity 2 which may just scratch the itch. Opinions welcome though!

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I totally understand. But I assume this game is from a relatively small dev studio and they simply couldn't simultaneously release on other platforms. If it's any consolation, this will probably feature prominently on my Game of the Decade list so please stick around on the forum for a few more years.

I'll stick around, but someone else might have to do the next forum one though.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Beno said:

I’m genuinely really jealous of everyone playing this for the first time. Amazing game. I spent about an hour last night Googling “games like Disco Elysium” just to see if I could fill the DE shaped hole. The best suggestion seems to be Kentucky Route Zero, although I’m thinking about getting back into Divinity 2 which may just scratch the itch. Opinions welcome though!

Divinity 2 is almost entirely unlike DE. The former is a hardcore tactical sandbox RPG. The latter a richly narrative rather than combat driven detective story with tabletop RPG elements.

Both genre pinnacles though.

I played the first few hours of this when it came out and really enjoyed it but fell off of it for some reason. I’d much prefer to play it handheld but I hear the loading times on the Switch are pretty bad. Might have to wait for the Steam Deck to land!

Just been getting back into having a bit of gaming time at night (for now) Last Guardian, Last of Us 2 down. Getting back to Like a Dragon and then Returnal, Metroid Dread and this lined up for over Christmas. Really looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about.

9 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I played the first few hours of this when it came out and really enjoyed it but fell off of it for some reason. I’d much prefer to play it handheld but I hear the loading times on the Switch are pretty bad. Might have to wait for the Steam Deck to land!

Would Steam Linking it to an Android device be a good experience?

I much prefer playing adventure games on mobile devices these days. Can't be bothered sitting at a desk on a PC if I'm going to be sedately exploring and puzzling for a few hours. This means the game needs to work well with a touch interface or Bluetooth controller though. 

28 minutes ago, Benny said:

Divinity 2 is almost entirely unlike DE. The former is a hardcore tactical sandbox RPG. The latter a richly narrative rather than combat driven detective story with tabletop RPG elements.

Both genre pinnacles though.

Yeah I know, I got to the point where I got off the first island and stopped playing it a couple of years ago for some reason. Feels like it might tick a couple of boxes though in terms of narrative heavy, pace etc (I’m reaching though I agree).

34 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

They're not amazing but really not that bad. A couple of points where you're having to traverse a few rooms in short order where you spend longer than you'd like staring at a static screen (while listening to the dreamy music) but it's nothing terminal.

Picked this up in the Steam sale, was going to save it for the Steam Deck, but dipped in last night. Not sure it would be for me, but bugger me it’s brilliant.

Only a couple of hours in but already enraptured. Met the lovely Cuno, fucking hell. 😆 Currently exploring the rooms behind

Spoiler

... the bookshop, with a torch (how good is that torch lighting!). Love that the pen & paper RPG within the game seems to be set in the magical land of Wirral.😆 And I already love Kim, what a guy. I still haven’t been able to examine the hanging body, or work out where the fuck I live or even my name, and have a tonne of active quests.

So, a loooong way to go yet. But the writing and voice performances really are just on another level from pretty much everything else out there. It’s unsettling, it’s hilarious, its slapstick and adult, it’s gorgeous, it’s complex and thought provoking. Been thinking about it when not playing it. A very good sign.

I played about half an hour on my dinner earlier. Game overed once already :rolleyes: and thinking of restarting again cos I missed something I did in the first and I wasn’t pleased with the outcome.

Honestly feels like I’m reading about a different game seeing people wax lyrical about it. Hopefully it clicks eventually, but at the moment it feels very lumbered and not not particular fun to play. The controls are clunky, ragging the right stick around trying to get the A to appear on the thing I want, and movement is janky.

Still super early days though, will definitely stick with it.

2 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

I played about half an hour on my dinner earlier. Game overed once already :rolleyes: and thinking of restarting again cos I missed something I did in the first and I wasn’t pleased with the outcome.

Honestly feels like I’m reading about a different game seeing people wax lyrical about it. Hopefully it clicks eventually, but at the moment it feels very lumbered and not not particular fun to play. The controls are clunky, ragging the right stick around trying to get the A to appear on the thing I want, and movement is janky.

Still super early days though, will definitely stick with it.

Don’t start again is my advice, just roll with it. I’ve failed rolls in the 90s and won them in the teens, letting go of the bad feeling when you ‘lose’ is crucial but the story presses on.  

What are you playing on? Using L1 and X along with the stick on PS4 really helps highlight objects with the quirky controls, which you will get used to.