rllmuk
Revival

Terminator Resistance | November 15th

Yikes, this gives me memories of working on the Terminator Salvation game. I remember banging on about this idea of having a terminator game where there is a grand total of ONE terminator in the entire game. I'd love a single player proper survivor horror game in the world of 80's era Terminator but realistically that scenario just creates a lot of questions that need figuring out, easier to make a game where you just go around shooting things again and again. 

• Upvote 1

This has daft lower level enemies like spider robots and HK "scouts" (think doom flying skulls) and it's kind of like a shit fallout in that there's a skill tree, lock picking, crafting tables, resources to collect and side quests. One of which had me finding a puppy for a little kid with what is probably the worst bark sound effect I've ever heard in a game. I've also now been somehow carrying said puppy in my coat for about half an hour while being set on fire and attacked by robots. 

I'm still playing it though but I'm hard pressed to recommend anything other than waiting for it to be on game pass/ ps + etc. 

There's obviously worse games but it's just so bland given the licence and possible potential. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Yeah, that's more or less exactly what I'd expected from it. There's some value in just being immersed in the world if you're a fan, but it sounds as though they've sailed a little below rather than above expectations, so I'll be waiting for it to drop to £15 before giving it a look.

12 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Do you have to review it or something? Why are you bothering?

It's moderately entertaining but yeah I'm going to play something better soon. 

17 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Yeah, that's more or less exactly what I'd expected from it. There's some value in just being immersed in the world if you're a fan, but it sounds as though they've sailed a little below rather than above expectations, so I'll be waiting for it to drop to £15 before giving it a look.

They've edited the review now. It originally said the protagonist was John Conners. 

28 minutes ago, b00dles said:

There's obviously worse games but it's just so bland given the licence and possible potential. 

Pretty much like all of the subsequent movies since T2. So pretty faithful in that aspect.

Still Robocop Vs Terminator my go to Terminator game.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Yikes, this gives me memories of working on the Terminator Salvation game. I remember banging on about this idea of having a terminator game where there is a grand total of ONE terminator in the entire game. I'd love a single player proper survivor horror game in the world of 80's era Terminator but realistically that scenario just creates a lot of questions that need figuring out, easier to make a game where you just go around shooting things again and again. 

I was thinking about that, pretty much how the Terminator is sort of like Mr X from Resident Evil. That you can't kill him but only stun or slow him down. But then other than that I couldn't think of anything interesting to pad it out.

2 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I was thinking about that, pretty much how the Terminator is sort of like Mr X from Resident Evil. That you can't kill him but only stun or slow him down. But then other than that I couldn't think of anything interesting to pad it out.

It's a film series with time travel though, you could easily have chrono trigger style time travel stuff to thwart your one t-800. You could even add in some "who do you trust" type stuff with people on the radio giving you missions but they're doing the voice impersonation stuff, let alone having a t-1000 looking like people too. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, b00dles said:

It's a film series with time travel though, you could easily have chrono trigger style time travel stuff to thwart your one t-800. You could even add in some "who do you trust" type stuff with people on the radio giving you missions but they're doing the voice impersonation stuff, let alone having a t-1000 looking like people too. 

Ah yes kind of like The Thing game ages ago where there was a game mechanic similar to that  in who do you trust. 

Now I think about it its similar to Alien Isolation the type of Terminator game I want to play. 

Yeah, alien isolation would have been a better template to use, although making it a bit more like fallout could have worked too in terms of the survival type side of things.

I didn't expect it to be a groundbreaking though as it has to appeal to everyone to get as many sales as possible and if you don't play that many games or are young and haven't seen the better versions of it's influences, it's not dreadful

It's definitely better than that Rambo game (based on that giant bomb video).

44 minutes ago, b00dles said:

It's definitely better than that Rambo game (based on that giant bomb video).

A bar you'd need a shovel to limbo under.

16 minutes ago, Harsin said:

A bar you'd need a shovel to limbo under.

Fair point but there was some understandable worry given their pedigree and at least there's improvement. 

Yeah, that EG review is fucking hilarious! 

Spoiler

"Another first-person sex scene with video game graphics that wouldn't look out of place on the early days of the Xbox 360. Jennifer groaned and writhed. She took her beanie off for the occasion, which was a nice touch. Her Oblivion face and mouth moved about as if being tugged by an off camera puppeteer, and all I could think of was, is this what Kryten would look like if he was doing it? And had hair?"

:lol:

• Upvote 2

One of the lowest energy Quick Looks the GB crew have put out recently. They could have at least played a few hours to familiarise themselves with it a bit. Looks generic but not completely awful considering the budget.

• Upvote 2

I watched a fair amount of it in a gameplay walkthrough on YouTube and there’s something there, struggling to push its way through the dated graphics and daft A.I, but it’s a seed that the developers just didn’t have the resources to nourish. Sad to say that we’ll probably never get the ‘future war’ game that we deserve, as post T2 every time the licence comes back, it comes back weaker and less likely to inspire anything more than a cheap cash-in. It’s pretty unusual that we got a cheap attempt in the right direction (stupidly sold at full price), but the Terminator name is still a heavy one and Resistance gets crushed beneath it. 

• Upvote 1

When I read the Eurogamer review it felt like the early days of the PS2 when you had these ambitious but technologically completely implausible games limping out as embarrassing fiascos. Almost got me interested.

Almost.

I might play it more to see how bad that sex scene is although the mere fact I haven't even bothered to return to it and have instead been tinkering about in factorio on a map I've already 'completed' shows the level of interest it generated. 

As a big fan of The Terminator and the Metro games, I reckon this is pretty ace.  Fan service is strong, it looks alright, plays well enough.  It's one of those solid 7/10 shooters that nobody bothers making any more. 

Twenty something quid for Steam on cdkeys.

• Upvote 1