rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
K

The Surge II

I found Little Johnny hard work whilst trying to block his attacks, but once I started playing like Bloodborne and dodging in and out of everything he wasn't too bad. Take out the two canisters on his body before going for the legs.

Much as I’m enjoying the level design and combat, the game is hideously ugly. The first main section is a fairly anonymous city level marred by some OTT bloom effects, but man, the second section set in the city docks is like a parody of a videogame from 2008 - it’s set in a brutal industrial wasteland full of massive pipes and bits of corrugated iron, all jumbled up in a busy and chaotic manner, with everything cast in various shades of bile brown and vomit green. It looks absolutely disgusting, and not in a kind of interestingly OTT gross way - it just strongly evokes the look of sick. 

I got to the bit where I think I'm about to fight Little Johnny but I can't find him. 

All the paths near the medbay where you see the cheesy TV broadcast lead to somewhere I need some hook device. 

On 30/09/2019 at 21:54, K said:

Much as I’m enjoying the level design and combat, the game is hideously ugly. The first main section is a fairly anonymous city level marred by some OTT bloom effects, but man, the second section set in the city docks is like a parody of a videogame from 2008 - it’s set in a brutal industrial wasteland full of massive pipes and bits of corrugated iron, all jumbled up in a busy and chaotic manner, with everything cast in various shades of bile brown and vomit green. It looks absolutely disgusting, and not in a kind of interestingly OTT gross way - it just strongly evokes the look of sick. 

I don't think it is. I totally get why you would though. 

19 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I don't think it is. I totally get why you would though. 

I normally like this kind of industrial design, but something about the aesthetic here is really turning me off. I think it's all the post-processing and the texture pop-in, it gives it quite a messy, fuzzy look.

On 02/10/2019 at 11:41, K said:

I think it's all the post-processing and the texture pop-in, it gives it quite a messy, fuzzy look.

I agree. Then i changed it to 1080p and turned all three graphical options down to zero, and now it looks more like a regular game. The texture pop-in is still a problem but i've read the devs are working on a console patch.

Just finished this and found it to be extremely compelling much better than the first, 

Areas are a little messy at times, but the core gameplay is solid.

Also found a massively overpowered build that made some of the difficulty spikes a bit more manageable. 

It's almost great, but needs a bit more cash thrown at it, a better art director, and some improvements to level design. 

I've been picking away at this here and there, and while I like the level design and combat, the whole aesthetic of the game is really offputting. The technical aspects aren't great - the texture pop-in is absolutely horrendous in places - but it's mostly the creative side I don't like. The NPCs in the first game weren't exactly classics of the genre, but the NPCs in this game are atrocious, with terrible am-dram voice acting, and a jarringly goofy tone for almost all of them - they're like pantomime characters.

Plus, my god, the game is still horrible to look at. It's a genuinely ugly piece of work.

Yeah the art design is awful at times. Then weirdly good at others. Playing on PC I've had no issues with pop in etc been rock solid.

The docks bit is proper ugly as owt though.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Yeah the art design is awful at times. Then weirdly good at others. Playing on PC I've had no issues with pop in etc been rock solid.

The docks bit is proper ugly as owt though.

I've only just killed Little Johnny, so I'm still on the docks bit, but even the city is pretty minging, with the fog, grey skies, low-res buildings in the distance, and the horrible vortex thing taking up half the sky.

The pop-in is terrible on PS4, and bafflingly worse than the original game.