rllmuk
mdn2

Sayonara Wild Hearts - Stylish Visual Music

The second last level:

’Inside’ is the track name. When it goes all F-Zero X

:omg: And then just lobs in a brief wee nod to Pilotwings :wub: Fantastic level, and probably my favourite song in the soundtrack.

Its the only level I’ve extensively replayed again and again. I’m determined to utterly master it.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I keep replaying tracks I've already got gold on just to feel that flow while playing it, the music for those ones keep bouncing round my head even when I'm not playing.

Got new top scores on a couple tonight too!

The quality does vary though. That forest level that starts off with the trippy wavy visuals and music really kicks off my "been poisoned" physical reaction and I fucking hate it. 

I don't want to look it up but has anyone tried to piece together any actual story? On the first level, she starts off with a skateboard and short hair (youth and innocence?) and then at the end she finds a giant card that grows her hair, gives her a mask and she flies?? Directly into heartbreak subspace.

I like the feel of what it's doing anyway, just curious why certain decisions were made. Best not to ask why the level named after the post-sex feeling has a woman who vomits, is propelled through the air by it which leads to a battle with a one-eyed vulture thing???? Managed to get silver on it, thought "I'll have another quick go" and immediately got gold. Proper fist pump.

EDIT yeah it's called Inside as @Calashnikov mentioned but I meant the text you see when it starts. Top score about 112k at the mo I think.

I'm beginning to be of a similar opinion. It's a grower that one. Perhaps helps that it's more difficult to get the Gold on Inside, than it is on Begin Again (so, Inside gets more playtime).

I did enjoy this but I wish the synchronisation between the music and the visuals was tighter. A lot of the time it feels like the music is more of a backdrop rather than being closely linked to what happens on screen. There are moments when they do feel closely linked but they're more fleeting than I'd hope. I still struggle to get the perfect timing down on the Ouendan-esque circles.

Still a great overall experience though.

Just finished this. Absolutely loved it. 

An amazing experience. Only thing I wasn’t sure about was pacing as some of the levels were really short. 

Oh and QUEEN LATIFAH. 

• Upvote 3

Been playing through the levels this morning with my daughter to try and get all the crystals and the golds. It’s got a lot or replay-ability and the music is sooooo good. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this is great - rocketed up to be my game of the head out of nowhere. The zodiac riddles are a delight/horror - with all golds and square coins obtained (the latter had me absolutely stumped on Heartbreak III for ages, because I'm apparently blind), it's the Zodiac that's keeping me occupied - that and trying to get gold on arcade mode (and working up the courage to try and place on YOLO mode...), and some are really tricky to figure out (and some I think I've figured but am struggling to execute - the ones that require low/no-score runs in particular are nasty). 

But yeah, the music, art style, camera and seamless, varied modes of gameplay just mesh perfectly. It was a delight to play a music-cum-action game that didn't exactly match to any other, and the frequent nods to other games were delightful. I absolutely adore the game, to the point where I've ordered the physical edition for Switch to complement my digital PS4 version. Great stuff.

(bit fucking weird that the childlike vomit comet character is named after la petite mort, mind)

Oh, in response to a few questions up-topic:

Favourite song? The one that plays when you fight the twins.

Story interpretation?

There's a few ways you can read things - a history of exes and anger and forgiveness would be one obvious one - but to me the reading I like best is of a trans woman's self-actualisation; inventing, fighting against then finally accepting a series of female personae, and moving from the depressed, spiralling androgyne of the opening to a satisfied, more overtly female-presenting character by the end. Again, I'm not saying this is the only or the "right" interpretation - I've no idea what the writer actually intended - but it's the interpretation I've personally found most satisfying.

• Upvote 5

I haven't unlocked any zodiac signs yet. :( Could a kind soul give me a gentle push towards some of the easier ones to get? 

Also, what's the story about?

Spoiler

I thought the heartbreak alluded to in the intro would be a painful break-up but since the tarot card that crosses her path is Death, maybe it's physical loss? 

Do the bosses throughout represent her mates? Bullies? 

Is the end boss her partner? Is she trying to get over her anger at her dying and leaving her alone? 

Frustratingly, when you solve a riddle it clears away the actual wording (replacing it with the solution) so it's tricky to give hints based on the wording.

I would say one of the easier ones to figure out and do is something about making the minimum effort to defeat someone... 

(also, more broadly, not all of the riddles are to do with "in-game" interactions - some reflect on things you do in-menu, or with the interface generally)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Just finished this. Absolutely loved it. 

An amazing experience. Only thing I wasn’t sure about was pacing as some of the levels were really short. 

Oh and QUEEN LATIFAH. 

Queen Latifah really does give that extra edge, such a great experience.

Also, if you guys don't mind me posting this, I wrote a review

https://barharukiya.wordpress.com/2019/09/29/sayonara-wild-hearts/

That level with the twins and the level switching back and forth, fucking loved that!

Also the car section reminds me of the QOTSA Go With The Flow video

• Upvote 2

I played some more of this over the weekend, and I love the presentation and music, but I'm not totally sold on the game as a whole.  I actually prefer just listening to the music than playing the game.  I've got gold on pretty much everything now, apart from a couple of levels that I find quite frustrating, and I think I'm going to leave it there.

The soundtrack's edging its way into my most-played of 2019 already, and I can't see that changing for a while.  I've made myself a great little playlist by removing all of the really short instrumental tracks, and it's just perfect.

On 29/09/2019 at 12:44, Wiper said:

Frustratingly, when you solve a riddle it clears away the actual wording (replacing it with the solution) so it's tricky to give hints based on the wording.

I would say one of the easier ones to figure out and do is something about making the minimum effort to defeat someone... 

(also, more broadly, not all of the riddles are to do with "in-game" interactions - some reflect on things you do in-menu, or with the interface generally)

Thanks, managed to get that one last night! 

After playing this on the phone with Apple Arcade but not getting very far, as mobile gaming is really not my thing, I grabbed this on the PS4. 

And it's bloody marvellous. Just finished doing all the levels for the first time and it was an absolute joy, so many different styles through the game with nods to lots of other games and genres, its a superb experience. Looking forward to now going back and trying for high scores, plus album mode. The riddles are simply baffling me at the moment, but I'll have a proper think about those and see what I can do with them!! Lovely game for the price though, and plays far better for me on the TV than playing on my phone.

• Upvote 1

Spent a good solid hour cracking a Zodiac Riddle this evening ('Risk your life twenty times where a diabolical trinity appear') and it was easily my favourite gaming session of the year. Proper leapt from the chair roaring and punching the air when I finally did it.

This game.

• Upvote 4

I've been going through the levels and finding all the diamonds and going for Golds, it's a brilliant experience. Every time I fail, I know it's my fault, and when I get that gold it's a great feeling. Managed to solve a couple of riddles too, there is a lot to come back to in this.

Whilst I still have some releases to play of this year, if I even get around to playing them, I very much doubt this will be topped as my current GOTY.

When was the last time you could say you stayed at the title screen in a modern title just to admire and enjoy it? Not in BotW that's for sure.

It does nearly everything right. The Atari levels stick out like a sour thumb, they're nice for what they are and of course fit the song they go along with, but if the game overall is going to have slower sections, it needed more than this to fit in with everything else, they feel like oddballs as a result.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Got another riddle tonight! The absolute beauty of them is that when you manage a toughy you get the satisfaction of beating something requiring skill and the satisfaction of solving a puzzle simultaneously.  You're a badass and a genius. Such a good feeling when they pop :wub:

• Upvote 2

On 07/10/2019 at 12:00, hombre_hompson said:

Some of my favourite moments. In spoilers just in case people haven't finished this yet.

EDIT: How the heck do  I post in spoiler tags?

(If you're on mobile, there's a little eye and you write in the box that appears when you press it!) 

Just played though album arcade again and holy shit what a game this is. Aside from the fact it consistently looks and sounds absolutely stunning (I will pay one billion, million pounds to listen to this performed live), there's just something incredibly human about the whole thing. 

I'm not sure I posses the emotional depth to process the narrative, the lyrics and the visuals in their entirety but what I can absorb is heartwarming and heartbreaking in equal measure. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of tears but I'm never sure if it's because I'm sad or happy! 

And fuck me, that finale. :wub:

• Upvote 3