Jump to content
rllmuk
mdn2

Sayonara Wild Hearts - Stylish Visual Music

Recommended Posts

I struggle to conjure up the inspiration to make one single level in Mario Maker - that there are people out there making games that look like this boggles my mind and puts a smile on my face. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty great. Took a few levels to get going and i had my doubts at the start but it ramps up into gear with the motorcycle chase.

 

Some of the levels feel a tad short though.  Ignore... as you play you realize it really just one big level (kinda) split into chunks, and those chunks get meatier.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.That was stupendous.

 

Make sure you play in one sitting. Will take 60-90 minutes.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hub2 said:

Well.That was stupendous.

 

Make sure you play in one sitting. Will take 60-90 minutes.

 

Is that all? Does it have much replay value, chasing high scores and so on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

 

Is that all? Does it have much replay value, chasing high scores and so on?

 

Yes, it's easy and also hard if that makes sense. I think it will take many attempts to get gold in all levels. It's like Rez in that sense.

 

I bronzed all but one level in which I got silver, and will be starting again tonight.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Can't wait. 

 

Yeah, some of the gold ranks - particularly on the longer tracks - are pretty tricky. And you unlock something for getting them all. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this OK with the Switch docked, or are there any touch controls / an advantage to using them? As this is Switch and iOS, I was wondering what the best way to play the game is. My imaginary scenarios are:

 

Docked Switch - yay, big screen! No headphones, boo. No touch controls (if those exist)... does this matter

 

Handheld Switch - Headphones, yay! Touch controls possible (if these exist). Smallest screen, though. But it's a nice screen regardless.

 

iPad - Headphones, yay! Bigger screen than Switch but not as big as the TV obviously. Er... touch controls? Is it better to use a controller?

 

Help, please! I think this is really a 'describe the controls' answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only played on an iPhone (XS Max) and the touch controls are... adequate. On the phone I was occasionally swiping to open the app switcher, which will not be an issue on other devices including iPad I think. There's also so much action on screen, your hand does obscure things sometimes. Still lots of fun though.

 

Also interestingly, the graphics kinda look better on the small screen than the trailers I've seen - sharper and cleaner and less pixellated, I guess the small screen gives some free AA. I'll be interested to see it on a Switch and Apple TV if it's available on that.

 

Edit: headphones are almost mandatory. Do you have a Bluetooth set you can connect to your TV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Edit: headphones are almost mandatory. Do you have a Bluetooth set you can connect to your TV?

 

I have a big enough extension lead to connect headphones to my AV Box. It does sound from your post that handheld Switch might be the way to go, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Is this OK with the Switch docked, or are there any touch controls / an advantage to using them? As this is Switch and iOS, I was wondering what the best way to play the game is. My imaginary scenarios are:

 

Docked Switch - yay, big screen! No headphones, boo. No touch controls (if those exist)... does this matter

 

Handheld Switch - Headphones, yay! Touch controls possible (if these exist). Smallest screen, though. But it's a nice screen regardless.

 

iPad - Headphones, yay! Bigger screen than Switch but not as big as the TV obviously. Er... touch controls? Is it better to use a controller?

 

Help, please! I think this is really a 'describe the controls' answer.

 

It's available on PS4 too if that makes a difference to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took the Apple Arcade trial and grabbed this. On an XR with a PS4 controller it is astonishing. Will be perfect in handheld for Switch owners. Tried with the touch controls and as has been said above they are adequate but the controller was far better, especially once I got to that third level, which kicked the whole game up a notch. Put it down for now as I'd like to find the time to play it in one go, now I've heard the length.

 

And yes it seems to be Easy Hard. Easy to get Bronze and finish a level, pretty tough to get a Gold on each level. So perfect as an experience first off and then something to go back to for the challenge.

 

But it's just amazing from the small amount I have played so far, When the trial for arcade is done I might grab the PS4 version once I hear more impressions of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just finished playing through this. It's so, so good. Like hub2, the first couple of levels had me feeling this was going to be too simplistic to be anything quite as special as people have been making out but it just build and builds.

 

One of the best things about it is just how proudly it wears its influences on its sleeve. There are some lovely nods to a number of classics throughout.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished this myself, and I can only echo the praise. I also thought it might be a bit too simple from the first couple of stages, but like Billy said it just keeps on building from there and quickly becomes something rather amazing.

 

The music is great too, as it needs to be for a games like this, and I could definitely see myself just playing through the whole thing every now and then. I'm looking forward to working towards some gold ranks too.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fantastic. It definitely reminds me of Rez, but only in that it marries gameplay and music together so well. :wub:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just played through this in one hit. Still trying to pull myself back together. It's beautiful. It's extraordinary. It's perfect. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jolly said:

Just played through this in one hit. Still trying to pull myself back together. It's beautiful. It's extraordinary. It's perfect. 

 

Belter, isn't it? :D

 

I knew it would be up your street!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is special. The last few stages are just so intense. I really struggled with the scoring, though. Never got a gold and some of the targets for those seemed way out of my league. I'm going to give it a good go, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just downloaded and started this. Have played five levels, one gold, two silver, two bronze. No way can I play in one sitting, but I’ll complete as quickly as I can. Want to play now, but early to work tomorrow. It’s really rather wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I really struggled with the scoring, though. Never got a gold and some of the targets for those seemed way out of my league. I'm going to give it a good go, though. 

 

I thought that on my first play through too. However, having just played back through the first four levels I'd say the Gold scoring limits are fairly generous so far. I've managed to get Gold on all of them and I definitely haven't got close to hitting every pickup. The key seems to be finding all the diamonds (?) along the way.

 

Level 5, Begin Again, does step things up though. One of the diamonds is tougher to find, plus it's the first of the longer levels so you need to be consistent throughout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Billy Brown said:

 

I thought that on my first play through too. However, having just played back through the first four levels I'd say the Gold scoring limits are fairly generous so far. I've managed to get Gold on all of them and I definitely haven't got close to hitting every pickup. The key seems to be finding all the diamonds (?) along the way.

 

Level 5, Begin Again, does step things up though. One of the diamonds is tougher to find, plus it's the first of the longer levels so you need to be consistent throughout.

 

Further to this, ensuring you don't hit an obstacle is much more important than going for every single heart (or diamond, contrary to what I just said up there) if you want to rack up high scores. I've just hit Gold on Begin Again after a good 10 or so goes despite only getting 2 out of 3 diamonds on that run. Crucially, I didn't wipe out once.

 

I hadn't appreciated earlier that the score for each of the hollow hearts you collect increases each time for as long as you're chaining them (even if you miss some along the way). When you hit an obstacle, that bonus multiplier seems to reset.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played through the whole thing again, and if anything it was even better second time around.

 

I don't think I've had an experience quite like this with a music game since, ooh, Ouendan?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, I'm turning in for the night having managed to get Gold Rank on the first 14 levels (not without struggle; it's definitely getting tougher). However, I just can't find one of the diamonds on Level 14 (Mine). I must have played it through 25 times and feel like I must be missing something obvious. Back tomorrow with fresh eyes, I guess. Superb game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

Right, I'm turning in for the night having managed to get Gold Rank on the first 14 levels (not without struggle; it's definitely getting tougher). However, I just can't find one of the diamonds on Level 14 (Mine). I must have played it through 25 times and feel like I must be missing something obvious. Back tomorrow with fresh eyes, I guess. Superb game.

 

Same, and I've got all golds. I was sure I'd spotted it once, so I deliberately died so I could go back and get it, and then couldn't see it the next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about this for cool swag:

 

jlv2uq2gu8l31.thumb.jpg.a6c5e554c89e2a675af53d2f0dada6ba.jpg

 

Might just be PR and not available to buy.... at least I can't find it.

 

Edit:

 

Will be available in a few weeks:

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely, lovely game. Very nice if you're er particularly relaxed.

 

It's even generous enough to let you finish a level regardless of how badly you're doing - though it results in "no rank". Got a couple of those :blush:

 

Only got 1 gold rank so far but looking forward to diving back in to get gold on them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.