rllmuk
Eighthours

Battlestar Galactica NEW reboot from creator of Mr Robot

I might turn into one of those pitchfork wielding goons who says never mess with the classics, even though this classic was itself a reboot of the original 70s TV series, but there is going to be another new version of Battlestar Galactica, this time masterminded by the guy behind Mr Robot. This has come out of nowhere!

https://deadline.com/2019/09/battlestar-galactica-reboot-drama-series-sam-esmail-nbc-streaming-service-peacock-1202736127/

The new NBCUniversal streaming service that the company said Tuesday would be called Peacock will launch in April 2020 with original content that includes series reboots from the NBCU library among its fare. That list includes the return of a sci-fi classic: a new Battlestar Galactica, billed as an original series from Mr. Robot and Homecoming executive producer Sam Esmail.

Not much is known about the premise, but we hear Esmail is a huge fan of BG and told NBCU brass it was high on a list of titles he wanted to tackle under the mega new four-year overall deal he closed at NBCU’s Universal Content Productions earlier this year.

NBCU’s Universal produced the original Glen A. Larson-created Battlestar Galactica series for ABC, and NBC Universal TV produced the successful Ronald D. Moore-commanded revamp that ran from 2004-2009 on the then-Sci-Fi Channel. We hear Esmail had been in touch with Moore, who blessed the idea of him taking on the franchise, because of Esmail’s passion for Moore’s version of the show.

I’m not sure how to feel about this. I’m currently midway through a rewatch of Galactica and it’s still a stunning show that holds up today, but I like what I’ve watched of Mr Robot a lot and Sam Esmail has a strong identity in terms of being a bit of a TV auteur (maybe he went a bit far up his own arse with that during parts of Mr Robot, mind), so what comes out of this will doubtless be interesting.

MR REBOOT.

EDIT: 

I assume Sam Esmail had to say that nu-BSG was perfection given he tagged Ron Moore, but does anyone really believe that after the first season?

I'm not sure why they're doing this although I think we're at the point where the overriding edict from TV and streaming services is that content must be produced and I suppose it will unarguably be content. I wonder what the Mormons who first came up with BSG think of all this? 

I enjoyed it a lot but when they started playing Hendrix (spoiler alert) I had to think about the show in a really different way to enable me to stomach it. 

4 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I assume Sam Esmail had to say that nu-BSG was perfection given he tagged Ron Moore, but does anyone really believe that after the first season?

Yeah, I do. Well, not perfection but still damn good and as I said on here recently, the ending chokes me up more and more every time I rewatch the series because I just love those characters.

15 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Yeah, I do. Well, not perfection but still damn good and as I said on here recently, the ending chokes me up more and more every time I rewatch the series because I just love those characters.

Agreed. There are some stinkers but the good outweighs the bad massively. I don't think a new show could add anything. Caprica was interesting in parts but felt unnecessary.