rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

The Guardian's 100 best films of the 21st century (plus 2000)

Ted, Borat and Anchorman. Some odd choices in there - like going round to someone’s house and wincing a bit at their DVDs. 

• Upvote 6

The Dark Knight (2008)

The only comic book movie to make the cut...

Persepolis (2007)

Iranian-French director Marjane Satrapi adapted her own graphic novel

yeah, fail.

Never mind that Team America (#10) is also in the list and parodies GI Joe... (the toys/comic/cartoon. The films came AFTER TA)

Edited by SeanR
  • Downvote 1

I expect by comic book they mean superhero underpants bullshit which became the most common western comics genre and subsequently the world's most successful genre of film, which Batman is and Persepolis isn't.

It's properly convenient that the 100th best movie of this century is the new Tarantino that came out a couple of weeks ago. Useful.

It's an absolutely terrible article. If you're going to seriously try and claim that Team America is the 10th best film of the past 20 years, better than some of those amazing films further up and not to mention those that haven't made the 'cut' then you need a lot more justification than what amounts to "Lol...it's edgy".

Waste of time.

• Upvote 3

I flicked through the list, and not only is Tabu not number one, it isn’t even in the fucking list (unless I missed it)!

So yes, we can discount it entirely.

• Upvote 1

It’s an interesting list. A couple of films there I couldn’t finish, Mr Turner and wolf of Wall Street. A couple of stinkers, gravity and hurt locker.

Great to see Paddington 2 there. Hard to argue with the top 3. Where the heck is Ant Man?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

I've never understood how articles like that can rank films from such wide ranging genres. It just doesn't work.

I've no problem with fictional films, and movies based on true stories, being combined together into one list, no matter the differences in medium (animated or live-action?), tone, target audience, or genre.

For me the problem comes when you try and judge documentaries alongside fictional narratives and adaptations of true stories. Whenever I make best-of- year lists on Letterboxd, the thing I tend to struggle with the most is where to put the documentaries.

Sometimes the lines between documentary and fictionalised narrative are blurred: you can have a documentary where all the audio is actors recording transcribed interviews and all the video is re-enactments; or you could have something like American Splendor that is mostly performed by actors but also features interviews with the real person; or you could have a thing that's presented like a documentary but is really a fictional story (like people speculated about Exit Through the Gift Shop).

I think that’s a pretty solid list. With the likes of Before Sunset, 24 Hour Party People, Mulholland Drive, Shoplifters, In The Mood For Love & Under The Skin, it covers most bases for me. 

Can’t argue with number 1 either.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

The top three is bullshit, as Tabu is better than all of them. In fact, so is Under the Skin, and that's at number 4.

Never heard of Tabu. What the heck is it about?

It's about a restless retired woman teaming up with her neighbour's maid to seek out a man who has a secret connection to the neighbour's past life as a farm owner in the foothills of Mount Tabu in Africa. It's no Team America but if you want a film you can lose yourself in, it's worth a look.