rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Triple A

Psycho-Thrillers

So I finally watched Perfect Blue and it rocked my world. Amazing film. I don’t think I can fault it.

Am now jonesing for quality psychological thrillers.

Recommend-me-do! (I saw Black Swan and mother! already)

(mods pls delete if there’s a thread covering this genre already)

If you're most specifically referring to psychosexual thrillers, they certainly have a penchant for them.

Elle by Paul Verhoeven was interesting, if not as disorientating as Perfect Blue or l'Amant Double.

• Upvote 1

Tom At The Farm is a good one from a few years back (2013). A man attends his boyfriends funeral and discovers his boyfriends mother didn't know her son was gay. He then gets coerced in to staying at the family farm by his dead boyfriend's controlling brother who starts a campaign of psychological warfare against him centred around the secret of his brother's sexuality.

Really tense, queasy stuff.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

If you're most specifically referring to psychosexual thrillers, they certainly have a penchant for them.

Elle by Paul Verhoeven was interesting, if not as disorientating as Perfect Blue or l'Amant Double.

I wasn't thinking to focus my viewing here solely on psychosexual thrillers, but appreciate the clarification.

Psychological overall is fine :-)

A few more I've just remembered:

Take Shelter (seriously stunning film) 

Unsane

Marcy Martha May Marlene

Would also recommend Raw, though it's more of a horror I guess. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot.

I saw Unsane already and liked that.

Saw Shutter Island too - imprinted in my mind as Shitter Island lol that’s how terrible I thought it was.

Have added some of these recos to my list to see.

Think this is a really great genre - with strong potential for great storytelling.

Curious to see a decent ‘gaslighting in the corporate world/world at work, that makes someone question themselves but then they overcome it’ type of story, if anyone knows any goodies there. Will look around too and report back any findings.

4 hours ago, Triple A said:

Think this is a really great genre - with strong potential for great storytelling.

Curious to see a decent ‘gaslighting in the corporate world/world at work, that makes someone question themselves but then they overcome it’ type of story, if anyone knows any goodies there. Will look around too and report back any findings.

Side Effects from a few years back fits that brief.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but I recently watched the Spanish films The Body and The Invisible Guest and thought they were both pretty decent. The Body was on Amazon Prime and Invisible Guest is on Netflix.

The Vanishing - (watch Sulzer’s 1998 Dutch original, do not watch the 1993 US remake!). If you don’t know the movie, don’t read up on it first. It’s a genre classic with a heart-stopping ending.

Funny Games - I prefer the original, but the remake is shot for shot and also decent.