rllmuk
deKay

Chu Chu Rocket Universe (only on Apple Arcade, so not for you)

828299182_Screenshot2019-09-11at07_31_44.thumb.png.b70794855a81b25bc02633f23eb6cca1.png

SEGA Games Co., Ltd. is incredibly excited to confirm that the ChuChus and the KapuKapus are back in the very first sequel of ChuChu Rocket!™ with ChuChu Rocket! Universe™.

20 years after ChuChu Rocket! invaded the Dreamcast and became the very first online multiplayer experience, the ChuChus are back in a brand-new episode. The storyline is new, but the objective for players remains the same: help all the ChuChus escape by placing directional arrows that lead them to their space rocket. In multiplayer, the objective for players is to help more ChuChus escape than their competitors. Using very creative methods to win is absolutely compulsory.

ChuChu Rocket! Universe will be available exclusively on Apple Arcade.

So, what’s new?

The entire game has been transformed into beautiful 3D worlds, resulting in even more insane puzzles – good luck!

New mechanisms have been added like switches or teleports

New and astonishing environments are welcoming dozens of levels, some of them inspired by the most infamous originals

Even the menu has received the ChuChu touch. Fly your rocket from one planet to another, from one constellation to the next!

Fret not, we’ve kept this in:

The KapuKapus are still the ChuChus worst enemies

The original gameplay: if you played the first episode or one of its ports you’ll know exactly what to do. To be fair if you never played it before you’ll also know exactly what to do

The online multiplayer mode will still make you want to destroy everything in your room and block your friends for life

Developed by HARDlight, a SEGA studio based in Leamington Spa (UK), ChuChu Rocket! Universe joins Sonic Racing, another SEGA title that will be available at launch on Apple Arcade.

Apple Arcade is Apple’s groundbreaking new game subscription service on the App Store. With Apple Arcade, users get unlimited access to the entire catalog of over 100 new and exclusive games, all playable across iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and Apple TV. Subscribers get the full version of every game including all updates and expansions, without any ads or additional in-game purchases.

For more information about Apple Arcade: https://www.apple.com/newsroom

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, DeDeDe said:

Amazing news. I spent hundreds of hours in the puzzle mode in the GBA port. Day one.

£4.99 a month is a lot of money to play Chu Chu Rocket.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Every time I hear 'Chu Chu Rocket' I hear this as well:

Really shit that it's Apple only though :(

I had that set to a jungle beat that I downloaded from Napster or something. It was amazing. 

No more shit than it being a Sony, Nintendo, PC, Xbox, Android, whatever only. 

• Upvote 1

That's the difference between Gamepass (for example) and other subscription services; all the games in Gamepass I can buy and keep regardless of whether I still have an active sub. I'm presuming Apple Arcade stuff could just drop off into the ether if it's delisted.

I'm dead ignorant on Apple stuff, so how common is stuff being incompatible with newer hardware? I know when I got my Air loads of apps I had on my ancient touch weren't updated to work with the new OS, but that's a vast gulf of time between device releases.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

On most of those machines you could buy it to own.

True, but I don't mind not owning the films and TV I watch on Netflix/Amazon, or the NES and SNES games on the Nintendo service which is the model they're using*. I'm guessing here, but if they're saying the games on the service are full versions with no IAPs and suchlike, who's to say they won't be available for purchase on other systems (with or without the mobile bullshit attached) either at launch or at some point in the future? 

Edit: * Yes I realise I can buy some of these in some form, but you get the gist. The exclusives are there to bring you to the service.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

On most of those machines you could buy it to own.

Not only that. But I think it's fair to assume that as a gamer the likelihood of having an Apple to play games on is a lot smaller than it is for the other consoles mentioned.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Not only that. But I think it's fair to assume that as a gamer the likelihood of having an Apple to play games on is a lot smaller than it is for the other consoles mentioned.

Doesn’t exclude you from owning an Apple device though, does it?

20 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Probably nowt as I think I need iOS 13 

I think it's almost certain it'd need the latest iOS yes.

• Upvote 2

It's not impossible but Apple have announced the Mini 4 as the bottom spec, which is actually 2 years newer since iirc the ipad mini 3 is literally just the 2 with touch ID.