rllmuk
anewman

Apple Arcade

On 21/09/2019 at 17:05, MK-1601 said:

I don't think premium games will go away. iOS 13 having proper controller support suddenly makes a lot of ports make *more* sense.

It makes such a difference. Do you know of any reason why it took this long, because Apple never did produce their own controller which might have gone some way to internally justify that MFI nonsense.

Also, my 6 year old was laughing so much while playing Cricket Through The Ages with me. A very silly game without much content or gameplay really (it's kind of a one and done joke), but while you're going through it, it's absolutely fucking hilarious in 2 player and it's excellently presented.

only downside of this so far is needs an internet connection to open the games, ruling them all out for a sneaky work bog go at my place where the wifi doesn't extend that far.

So many great games, but ive only got 16 GB to deal with on my 5SE.

Grindstone is 1.98 GB

Over the Alps looks really cool but its 2.7 GB

I will have to play some of these games one at a time. I had to delete Hearthstone, but I play that mostly on my mbp anyway.

10 hours ago, Yiggy said:

It’s this sort of title that I find so utterly charming and nice about many of the launch titles for it. An experience that hits emotional beats. Not your usual mobile phone game at all. 

I really liked the gameplay in this in the same way I enjoyed PC Building Simulator - it is equally fun, relaxing and satisfying to virtually fix stuff. Plus it is as aesthetically beautiful as you would expect from the team behind Monument Valley. 

I found the story pretty trite thought, and it massive overplays its hand in terms of sentimentality very early on. The very first puzzle ends with

Spoiler

the little girl casually bringing up her dead mum and our heroine solemnly intoning (admittedly paraphrasing here) 'it was then that knew there was one part of her that I could never fix'.

Barf.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

only downside of this so far is needs an internet connection to open the games, ruling them all out for a sneaky work bog go at my place where the wifi doesn't extend that far.

I don’t think you do, one of the features of the service listed by Apple is ‘Download to play - online or off’.

24 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I don’t think you do, one of the features of the service listed by Apple is ‘Download to play - online or off’.

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Tried a few with Airplane Mode on and they worked.

Interesting, I tried 3 earlier and all got stuck on loading screens

You probably need to run them once online before they work offline. I'd imagine they'd need to check in every so often as well - same as PS4 and Switch "rental" games.

Is this...is this the greatest launch line-up of any games platform in history? 

I'm not even being facetious. I've played six or seven games so far and none have them have been anything less than fun, unique and interesting, and there are at least 30-40 games I've seen listed that have me equally excited. 

I had some serious gaming time put aside this weekend for the first time in a while, with plans to finish Fire Emblem and Gears 5 as well as wanting to spend some time on the Call of Duty beta. It says something that they all got neglected in favour of working my way through these, and seeing as I haven't played any games on my iPhone since swearing off Clash Royale fairly early on, this has to count as easily my biggest and best gaming surprise of the year.

Favourites so far are Grindstone, Chu Chu Rocket, Sayonara: Wild Hearts (although technically I played it on the Switch...), Assemble with Care (despite its naff story), Mini Motorways, and Pinball Wizard. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Eighthours said:

It makes such a difference. Do you know of any reason why it took this long, because Apple never did produce their own controller which might have gone some way to internally justify that MFI nonsense.

It's just the usual Apple approach of wanting to take a cut on all accessories without considering if it would make sense to make an exception for games controllers. Although to be fair it's only relatively recently that officially sanctioned ways to use controllers on different platforms (e.g. console pads on Steam) has become commonplace.

I need to spend more time on it, but so far I don't think it's the 'best launch lineup evar'. I can think of lots of platforms that have had loads of decent but small games at launch. What AA needs is a killer app but I remain sceptical that Apple would pay the cash (or build the dev relationships) necessary to bag something big and important and keep it off Switch, PS4 and PC *as well* as Android.

I’m struggling to think of a “launch” game as continuously inventive as What The Golf. Your Marios included.

Though since it’s also coming out on PC and Switch next week...

• Upvote 1

Put 13 on my iPad and gave this a trial. What the Golf and Chu Chu Rocket are good. Was hoping Mini Motorways would be (I love Mini Metro) but it's such a pain in the arse to control. You can't zoom in and out when drawing roads, and it's too easy to delete everything when you move a motorway. Also I failed twice because it said one of my buildings didn't get enough cars when there were only two matching houses to "feed" it and they both had roads going directly to the building on the shortest possible route :(

2 hours ago, footle said:

Sayonara wild hearts so needs a controller.

It's definitely better with a controller (and on Switch, tbh) but I've had some joy on iOS on the high sensitivity setting. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is Oceanhorn 2 exclusive to Apple Arcade? Quite enjoying it, very Zelda-ish.

It’s not on the list of exclusives so presumably not.