Apple Arcade

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

I gave it a go, but unfortunately it doesn’t have the immediacy of Grim Joggers - it seems unless you mentally map the level beforehand you can’t get through it. Pity, as it’s nicely done.

Also sadly it doesn’t have the ever present gore.

Or the brilliant music. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ZOK said:

I’ve not played that, but I like this one a lot.

mini metro is brilliant. The art style like a rail map is fantastic.

I’ve only had a short blast on motorway, but it seemed fun.

23 hours ago, Gotters said:

I didn't find Mini Motorway anywhere near as clean or satisfying to play as their previous game, the classic Mini Metro

Same here. Unless they've fixed it recently it's also fundamentally broken. 

On 12/02/2021 at 14:01, shirubagan said:

NUTS is odd. Twitchy as Hell to control with a pad (Desktop). It seems 100% designed for MKB. 

Yeah, it's far better suited to PC. It's made by a very small team and it doesn't feel like the Apple Arcade version was a priority for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Sping, which launched today, seems quite nice.

It's a single button game where you swing your object around increasingly hazardous (I guess) levels to collect all the stars and get to the exit.

Fairly generic as we seen this kind of thing before but it plays very nicely, looks very nice and like many of these Apple Arcade games is 100 times better for having timers/ads/IAP removed.

The new Reigns is on Apple Arcade, this time you are an interstellar rock star instead of a king.

It plays nice, a few new tricks, definitely worth a look if you liked the original.

I downloaded a Zelda rip off (Oceanhorn 2) on my iPad Pro from the Arcade and although it could be accused of being a little bland and an obvious blatant rip on the Zelda formula it was a real eye opener with regards to how powerful these machines are. 

It's all fairly generic but playing it in bed with my SN30 Pro pad I was pretty amazed at how far we've came with regards to graphical power in such thin devices. 

I also have an S20 Ultra and ran 3dMark on both machines, the iPad absolutely slaughtered it, I imagine their phone chips are the same. What the fook are Apple doing, some sort of chip witchcraft?

As for the game, it's beautiful and a decent small team effort, but like I said above, mechanics wise etc, it's a ways away behind Nintendo but deffo fun for 30 minute blasts

4 hours ago, amc said:

I also have an S20 Ultra and ran 3dMark on both machines, the iPad absolutely slaughtered it, I imagine their phone chips are the same. What the fook are Apple doing, some sort of chip witchcraft?

Apple’s silicon is still ARM, as is Samsung, but it’s a lot more custom designed — Samsung’s either using stock Qualcomm parts or its own Exynos takes on same — but the secret sauce here is that Apple controls everything. Which is a very Apple way of thinking about things generally, but in this case it means it’s not just the hardware, but also the software. Android has to cover millions of different devices, drivers, use cases, memory, etc.

Apple typically only has about 12 at most (allowing for older phones, Pads, etc) and optimises like CRAZY for new silicon. Which is why new iOS/iPadOS upgrades run very well on newer hardware, and less so on older ones, differences in chip speed notwithstanding. 

I know all that, of course Android games need to pander to myriad configurations but 3DMark cuts to the quick, yet it's a much, much more capable SOC, ARM derived or not. Anyway, it's happy days for low power gaming. Apple know their shit.

13 hours ago, Gotters said:

Spring, which launched today, seems quite nice.

It's a single button game where you swing your object around increasingly hazardous (I guess) levels to collect all the stars and get to the exit.

Fairly generic as we seen this kind of thing before but it plays very nicely, looks very nice and like many of these Apple Arcade games is 100 times better for having timers/ads/IAP removed.

Got a link to this one? I can’t seem to find it in the App Store.

On 05/03/2021 at 18:07, amc said:

playing it in bed with my SN30 Pro

Fascinated to understand the practicalities of this. Are you laying down? Sitting up? Presumably you’re holding the pad, so where’s the iPad? So many questions. 

Rather dramatic.

The iPad is on my lap whilst lying down, using a cheap cover that folds. Mind blowing.

download.jpg

Hope that image helps.

Sping really is one of the best games on AA I've played - it's a proper well crafted phone game (ie doesn't need a pad or 10 on screen buttons) and its just really well made - may be a little on the easy side for some but I'm up to chapter 5 of 10 and have been taking my time to perfect the levels, as perfecting them so far always feels achievable and within reach.

I like how each chapter introduces a new mechanic or level obstacle and then gives you some levels to play with it.

Online daily challenge is a nice addition but the leaderboards and telling you your place could be cleaned up a little.

Hope they add a few more chapters as can see this getting finished quickly, and I suspect I'll want some more if they can maintain the quality.

Well that's Sping's 180 main levels 3* completed, final chapter 10 ramped up nicely but never felt impossible. Now to get tucked into the bonus levels that open up about 3/4 of the way thru the main levels.

Best game on AA by a mile.

Been playing the Pathless this afternoon, again using a SN30 Pro. Another incredible game that plays stunningly on iPad, so smooth and fast. My Pro is currently the king of my mobile gaming devices, love to game late at night in a pitch black bedroom and Apple Arcade is providing some crackers that really fit the mood.

Be back at it when the moon comes out.

On 11/03/2021 at 14:13, Gotters said:

Well that's Sping's 180 main levels 3* completed, final chapter 10 ramped up nicely but never felt impossible. Now to get tucked into the bonus levels that open up about 3/4 of the way thru the main levels.

Best game on AA by a mile.

It’s so addictive - marks itself out as being really well put together control wise because once you understand the mechanic you can Perfect most levels on the first go (for the first two chapters anyway).

Does anyone do the daily challenges? I got into the top two hundred today (woohoo!) but I can’t see anyway to find out how many people actually did that challenge, anyone know?

Sping's difficulty curve for getting 3* on each level is pretty gradual until you hit chapter 10, when it does ramp up nicely (but fairly) - you really need to work out your optimal route on a lot of levels then nail it perfectly as some of the catches/releases have no margin for error and need to be executed first time

Brilliant game though, only got a few of the bonus levels to complete now before I've hit 100% on the whole thing - the store listing does say more levels coming soon though. 

I think the daily challenge leaderboards need a bit of work as seem pretty buggy.

On 14/03/2021 at 12:49, Stejay said:

I've just bought a Razer Kishi for Apple Arcade mostly. £90 and no case for it?  Pffft!

I returned mine. It felt way to flimsy for £100 worth of controller. 

It's always a sad moment when you 100% a game you've loved playing, and not something I do very often really. It's the case now for Sping which I've got 3* on all the one chance levels on top of the main 10 chapters.

Only the daily time trials to play until they get round to releasing some more levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Apple gave me another free month's Arcade (having cancelled it around this time last year), and conveniently my LG TV fairly recently got Airplay support. So I've been playing Nuts, on my iPhone, on my TV, using a PS4 pad. Which means I basically have another console in the house now.

I was going to buy Nuts on the Switch but I don't need to now. It's bloody good, incidentally.