Apple Arcade

anewman

My free month just ended and I've decided to keep subbing. Really nice curation of games and I'd only managed to play a few during my trial. Just noticed the conversation above about controllers and although I have myriad options I've been connecting my 8Bit Do SN30 Pro exclusively. Works a charm.

Will deffo give that Skate game above a go now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 14:28, footle said:

Often of quite good quality - a monsters expedition, for example, was very good.

I do think it’s a good service and it’s a shame it does not seem to have gotten much traction. They’re offering 3 months with every new iPhone now and there’s that big hitter that’s day and date release with PS5 (can’t remember the name) so they’re clearly hoping people start using it. 

I would say it’s had 5-6 really good games and 20+ good ones. With a bunch of other stuff that may be your thing. For a fiver a month I’m happy to carry on subbing. 

I think for a lot of gamers they just don’t like playing games on their phone any more. Though saying that I’ve been enjoying playing some on my Mac as well like beyond a steel sky and tangle towers. They’re great on the bigger screen in full res. 

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Yep I have given up playing games on my phone. I used to have a few installed like Mini Metro, Clash Royale & Lost Cities but all have been deleted now. Just play on the iPad now.

i suppose apple don’t mind if where you play as long as you subscribe. No wonder they don’t want Xbox live on there! 

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Anyone else having trouble launching Alba? It crashed when playing on MacBook and now won’t launch on any of my devices. 

Working here (and sorry, I know that’s not much help).

21 hours ago, Quest said:

I got three months of this for free. What's worth a try? So far I've downloaded What the Golf? and Grindstone.

Skate City & pinball wizard. I got more out of what the golf than any other game on it by far though. 

Sociable Soccer is really good if you liked Sensible World of Soccer, as it's by Jon Hare and is essentially a modern version of the same game without the licence. 

I've only played it with a DualShock 4. I don't expect it's any fun at all with touchscreen controls. 

23 hours ago, Quest said:

I got three months of this for free. What's worth a try? So far I've downloaded What the Golf? and Grindstone.

Shinsekai, a great underwater Metroidvania by Capcom. It’s been out on other things since, but Apple Arcade via Apple TV with a DualShock 4 was how I played (and loved) it.

2 hours ago, sonixtorm said:

Working here (and sorry, I know that’s not much help).

It’s helpful to know the game isn’t broken – it must be an issue with Game Center/Save files. 

I’ll see if there’s a way to delete/reset it somehow. 

Edit: The game boots in Airplane mode, so it’s a save file thing. I tried booting the game on my MacBook with WiFi off and it also loaded. As soon as I switched the WiFi on, it crashed. :| 

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

It’s helpful to know the game isn’t broken – it must be an issue with Game Center/Save files. 

I’ll see if there’s a way to delete/reset it somehow. 

Edit: The game boots in Airplane mode, so it’s a save file thing. I tried booting the game on my MacBook with WiFi off and it also loaded. As soon as I switched the WiFi on, it crashed. :| 

The developer will probably be keen to help on this one. Have you contacted them?

• 3 weeks later...

Spire Blast just released, which seems a quite nice Boom Blox 'tribute' - the old Wii game from EA that somehow Spielberg was part of.

It's nice to actually have what on the surface appears a FTP type game but with all the shite like ads and timers removed, as the core came of throwing coloured blocks at a tower to trigger nice physics collapses is always fun for a short while.

I don’t have any Xbox or PS4 controllers so is the best option still the Nimbus + steel series controller. 

I stopped gaming a while back but have a three month Apple Arcade trial which should hopefully see out the latest lockdown. 

On 22/01/2021 at 08:03, Gotters said:

Spire Blast just released, which seems a quite nice Boom Blox 'tribute' - the old Wii game from EA that somehow Spielberg was part of.

It's nice to actually have what on the surface appears a FTP type game but with all the shite like ads and timers removed, as the core came of throwing coloured blocks at a tower to trigger nice physics collapses is always fun for a short while.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm really enjoying this on my phone, but I'm finding really painful to play with a pad on Apple TV.

Just been playing Populous Run, despite the name it’s nothing do with Mr Molyneux but an endless runner that reminds me of an old iOS game lost to the mists of the transition to 64 bit Grim Joggers. Rather than picking up joggers and avoiding spiked pits and lava in Populous Run you avoid giant donuts as you pick up joggers. It’s a 3D into the screen game like Temple Run, I’ve only played a couple of levels so far but I’m enjoying what I’ve seen so far. 

@ZOK you were a Grim Joggers fan I seem to remember so if you have Arcade might be worth a look. 

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

Just been playing Populous Run, despite the name it’s nothing do with Mr Molyneux but an endless runner that reminds me of an old iOS game lost to the mists of the transition to 64 bit Grim Joggers. Rather than picking up joggers and avoiding spiked pits and lava in Populous Run you avoid giant donuts as you pick up joggers. It’s a 3D into the screen game like Temple Run, I’ve only played a couple of levels so far but I’m enjoying what I’ve seen so far. 

@ZOK you were a Grim Joggers fan I seem to remember so if you have Arcade might be worth a look. 

I gave it a go, but unfortunately it doesn’t have the immediacy of Grim Joggers - it seems unless you mentally map the level beforehand you can’t get through it. Pity, as it’s nicely done.

Also sadly it doesn’t have the ever present gore.