rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2019 & Games of the Decade - Vote now, deadline 01/01/20

As always, my choices are about one thing. Fun. Which games I had genuine fun playing. I don’t care what was popular or what had perfectly balanced difficulty or reviewed well. With that aside, I give you *drumroll*

A1. Days Gone – Fantastic IMO. I just had a blast throughout my time with it and will no doubt play through it again.

A2. Resident Evil 2 Remake

A3. Control

A4. Greedfall

A5. Sekiro: Shadows die Twice.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Blizzard - just for PR reasons. They seem very hard to like these days.

Z2. Bethesda - Same as above.

Z3. Borderlands 3 (the game itself is good, but I have a bugged main quest after 20 odd hours so unless I start a new dude I’m stuck waiting for a patch to fix it).

Z4.  Other things beginning with B

Z5. 

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Gears 5 – the audio in this was mind-blowing.

S2. Resi 2 Remake – again, great audio. The thud thud thud of X approaching *poop emoji*

S3. Days Gone - fantastic ambient Audio.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Days Gone. Apart from some iffy animation later in the game, the scale and detail Bend Studio managed with this is well worthy of mention.

V2. Resident Evil 2 Remake. Bringing the game right up to modern technical standard whilst keeping the Resi 2 feel impressed me a lot.

V3. Greedfall – It can be a bit Jank, but it is such a step up for the developers, has great lighting and looks genuinely excellent at times.

Writing of the Year

W1. Greedfall – It's a very dialogue heavy game and is not perfect, but it really does what it needs to and gets you invested in the characters. It's biggest achievement though is in making you feel like you as a diplomat have a real impact on how things unfold and resolve.

W2. Control – I enjoyed the story in this and read a lot of the second-hand lore scattered around. It’s batshit mental but always compelling and well written.

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. PC

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Bend Studio. A developer known for handheld games stepping up and putting out something of the scale and quality of Days Gone deserves all the accolades. The after-release support for the game via patches and free updates has also been very impressive.

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. PUBG - I have long breaks and when returning to it I am always impressed by the continual improvements.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Spider-Man PS4 - completed this in January so just missed out on last year's GOTY. It was much better than I expected. Great writing, stunning visuals and only let down by slight repetition.

Best game character of the year

C1. De Sardet – Greedfall.

C2. Deacon St John – Days Gone. I like Deek.

C3. Jesse Faden.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. The Witcher 3

D2.  The Last of Us

D3.  Red Dead Redemption

D4.  Horizon: Zero Dawn

D5.  NIER: Automata

D6.  Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds

D7.  GTAV

D8. The Last Guardian

D9.  Far Cry 3

D10.  Alan Wake

• Upvote 2

On 12/09/2019 at 16:46, SeanR said:

Does anyone wait to see what other people post to remind themselves of what's been released, and played in 2019? Apparently I've played nothing. Must be all that retro gaming. Or maybe it's because I buy games and never play them? Astro Bot and Blood and Truth have both been started.

Game of the Year 
A1. Astrobot
A2. Blood & Truth
A3. 
A4. 
A5. 

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but Astrobot was released last year (it came second overall in our 2018 list, basically because less people had played it than RDR2)

9 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but Astrobot was released last year (it came second overall in our 2018 list, basically because less people had played it than RDR2)

fixed, fewer

I mean, if it came out on console this year and you played it for the first time this year, it's valid, but if you played it on PC last year it's probably not in the spirit of things to vote for it for example. It would technically be within the rules for game of the year votes but it's up to the voters to use their discretion.

@Benny No never played it on PC. Likewise critics current favourite Elysium Disco is likely to get played by most people when it’s released on consoles next year.

The last PC game I played was Black & White on my Pentium II Dell.

Work in Progress

Game of the Year
A1. Untitled Goose Game
A2. Astral Chain
A3. Super Mario Maker 2
A4. Grindstone
A5. Luigi's Mansion 3

Z1. Gamers being whining arseholes
Z2. My Friend Pedro
Z3.
Z4.
Z5.

Sound Design of the Year
S1. Luigi's Mansion 3
S2. Sayonara Wild Hearts
S3.

V1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
V2. Sayonara Wild Hearts
V3. Luigi's Mansion 3

Writing of the Year
W1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (purely for the _amount_ of text).
W2.
W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo 

B1.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)
X1.

C1. Goose
C2. Luigi
C3. 

And the big one:

Game of the Decade
D1.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
D2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
D3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
D4.
D5.
D6.
D7.
D8. Pocket Card Jockey
D9.
D10.

Game of the Year

A1. Wreckfest

A2. Luigi's Mansion 3

A3. Slay The Spire

A4. Untitled Goose Game

A5. Tetris Effect

Z1. My Friend Pedro

Z2. Stadia launch lineup

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Luigi's Mansion 3

S2.

S3.

V1. Tetris Effect

V2. Wreckfest

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1.Switch

P1. Bugbear Games - it took them years to get Wreckfest to consoles, they stuck to their guns, didn't rush it out putting the release back several times to get it right, then released a racing masterpiece of the kind that doesn't get made any more. It handles like a dream and has a physics and destruction engine that feels like it belongs on the next gen of consoles. Then they supported it really well post release adding in DLC, lots of patches and enhancements. Good stuff and glad it got well received - hopefully this is the start of a movement to remove cred, open world night street racing, drifting and rap music from racing games. 

B1. Wreckfest

X1. Clash Royal

C1.Goose

C2.Luigi

C3.

Have been away from Rllmuk for a while but had to make a return for this. Will add updates as I go.

Game of the Year

A1. Control

A2. Resident Evil 2

A3. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

A4. A Plague Tale

A5. Judgement

Z1. Lack of quality photomodes in top titles

Z2. Games as a "Service"

Z3. Gamer entitlement/toxicity 

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Control

S2. Indivisible

S3. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

V1. Control

V2. Luigi's Mansion 3

V3. Indivisible

Writing of the Year

W1. Control

W2. A Plague Tale

W3. Judgement

F1. PS4

P1. 505 Games

B1. No Mans Sky

X1.  Dragon Quest XI (PS4)

C1. Dr Darling (Control)

C2. Razme (Indivisible)

C3. Goose (Untitled Goose Game)

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1.

D2. 

D3.

D4. 

D5. 

D6. 

D7.

D8.

D9.

D10.

• Upvote 1

Unlikely to beat my number 1. Which is probably not the "best" game released this year, but is absolutely my game of the year.

I need those votes, people, you only have a few weeks until January.

Game of the Year

A1. Death Stranding

A2. Tetris 99

A3. Link's Awakening

A4. Control

A5.

Z1. Blizzard Entertainment

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

V1.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch

P1.

B1.

X1. Turok (remastered PC ver)

C1. Dr. Darling

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1.

D2.

D3.

D4.

D5.

D6.

D7.

D8.

D9.

D10.

Game of the Year

A1. Astral Chain - This is pretty much my perfect Platinum game. Whereas I know some people bounced off the investigation parts, I loved the downtime from the action sequences and found the game a great mix of both. Plus, Lappy is awesome. 

A2. A.I. The Somnium Files - Massively overlooked by almost everyone in the second half of this year, this is a murder mystery game by the creator of the Virtues Last Reward series. It's different from those games, though as this game is more about the characters and their relationships. But when you get past the relatively slow opening, the twists and plot beats come thick and fast. It took me just shy of 23 hours to see everything in the game and the story really kept me guessing to the end. A real shame it's bombed, because it deserves so much better. 

A3. Tetris 99 - I'm at about 45 hours now. I've won once. But I just can't stop playing. It's such a simple, well realised idea. 

A4. The Outer Worlds - A bit on the short side, but it turns out that I haven't fell out of love with the Bethesda style of open world RPG, I just needed to play a good one again. 

A5. Untitled Goose Game - Turns out the thing that had been missing from recent Hitman games is the ability to act like an utter evil bastard to a small British community. Who knew? 

Z1. Activision Blizzard fucking up and doubling down on the Hong Kong controversy. Guess that's another company to boycott. 

Z2. My Friend Pedro

Z3. Wargroove - it's good, but still somehow missed that vital Advance Wars ingredient that makes them a classic

Z4. Sekiro 

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Sayonara Wild Hearts

S2. Luigi's Mansion 3

S3. Astral Chain

V1. Luigi's Mansion 3

V2. Astral Chain

V3. Resident Evil 2

Writing of the Year

W1. A.I. The Somnium Files - really, nothing else comes close. 

W2. The Outer Worlds

W3. 

F1. Switch

P1. Nintendo - the back half of this year has been an embarrassment of gaming riches. 

B1. Rock Band 4 - still getting weekly DLC years after launch

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Dishonored 

C1. Goose

C2. Lappy (from Astral Chain)

C3. AIBA (from A. I. The Somnium Files)

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

D2. Dark Souls

D3. Hollow Knight

D4. Xenoblade Chronicles

D5. Rock Band 3

D6. Bloodborne

D7. Super Mario Galaxy 2

D8. Mass Effect 2

D9. Astral Chain

D10. Vanquish

• Upvote 4

^Pos’d for having the correct Top 3 games of the decade, each in the correct order to boot. 

EDIT: Oh wait, looking at my iPhone Notes draft, I’ve got Hollow Knight as the decade’s 4th best :unsure:

Still got some games to play but I have enough done I can take a stab at it. 

Game of the Year

A1. Disco Elysium 

A2. Slay the Spire

A3. Sekiro

A4. Fire Emblem

A5. Total War: Three Kingdoms 

Z1. Anthem

Z2. Outer Worlds

Z3. Wargroove

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Outer Wilds

S2. Disco Elysium

S3. Apex Legends

V1. Outer Wilds

V2. Ape Out

V3. Eastshade

Writing of the Year

W1. Disco Elysium

W2. Control

W3. Outer Wilds

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. PC

P1. Respawn Entertainment 

B1. Total War: Warhammer 2

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Wow Classic 

C1. Kim Kitsuragi (Disco Elysium)

C2. Dr. Darling (Control)

C3. Great Shinobi Owl (Sekiro)

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1.

D2.

D3.

D4.

D5.

D6.

D7.

D8.

D9.

D10.

Game of the Year

A1. Outer Worlds 

“I remember the excitement of getting Fallout 4. Booting it up playing it for a bit and then realising it was pretty much the same as the last one, warts and all...but not as charming. Then this came along, and it was Fallout, but smaller and more perfectly formed. In fact it was everything I had wanted Fallout 4 to be; improved graphics, great writing and utterly compelling. Each ‘planet’ is packed with stuff to see, do and explore that I barely miss the trudging around a vast wilderness. Once you get engrossed in its dungeons and towns you forget how comparatively compact it is. Love the consciously colourful graphics too, and the script is something to be proud of.”

A2. Modern Warfare

“This year has seen so many games deciding to go back to basics. Devil May Cry went old school, Last Order was a compilation of greatest hits from ten years ago, Outer Worlds was the spiritual successor to Fallout 3, Shenmue 3 was Shenmue 3. But this was my favourite. It’s crass balls out precision combat is so well done here and in such a great overall package that I completely forgot how tired the series had become. This old school COD suddenly, now polished within an inch of its life, seems very fresh again. The graphics can appear photorealistic at times and the sound effects are astonishing. Most of the set-pieces work for me, either because of their sheer exploitation and bombast or because I find them genuinely unsettling. Say what you want about the storylines but they are achingly evocative of the newscycle. Everything from thinly disguised Kurdish fighters against ISIS to a thinly disguised raid on Bin Laden’s home, children fighting to survive in a brutally suppressed civilian population in “occupied territories”, domestic terrorism, and on and on. All rendered with absolutely horrific beauty. Remember that game where at one point you used white phosphorous only to see the tragedy of your actions? This whole game is morally dubious to the extreme, constantly making you wonder what the hell you are doing. Like being in your very own Andy McNabb airport novel, with the added bonus you don’t have to read one. Being of a certain age I personally like to play imagining I am Lewis Collins in Who Dares Wins. That it’s other life is as an e-sports vehicle is crazy, but I have little interest in getting my arse handed to me online. I very much doubt I shall be buying another COD anytime soon, but this was a very welcome return to form.”

A3. Ring Fit 

“I hate the gym. I hate jogging. It’s freezing cold and dark most of the year. This game will increase your quality of life and possibly make you live longer. Nintendo once again following their own path and showing others how lifestyle gaming should be done.”

A4. Mario Maker 2

“My friends autistic son has spent well over a hundred hours making levels on this and now I can play them with him even though they live hundreds of miles away. That alone makes this one of the best games of the year. That it also has a devious single player mode as well as a lifetime of often excellent user created content is the icing on the cake.”

A5. Resi 2 

“I love Resi and I loved this. After a single play through I was pretty much done though. Which is fine when it’s as enjoyable as it was.”

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else

Z1. EA’s Star Wars license

“This year I’ve played quite a few Star Wars board games; Rebellion, X-Wing, Outer Rim, Risk (Queen’s Gambit). Mostly by Fantasy Flight games and mostly excellent. It’s made me depressed that the videogame Star Wars license has just seen cancelled games that looked great, derivative FPS live services and, well that’s about it. Even this years Fallen Order was an enjoyable but flawed game, rushed out before it was ready. Not bad. Not great. Not what I want. Give me one immersive experience in that universe to rival X-Wing or KOTOR before I die please.

Z2. Blizzard and Hong Kong

“Just fuck off Blizzard.”

Z3. The Christmas flood

“Too few good games released over the year. Too many good games released at the end of the year”

Z4.  Not playing enough VR

“Having to look after a small person plus having to set the stuff up every time is not conducive to VR gaming.”

Z5. No H3lfLife

“Seeing Shenmue 3, Last Guardian both released and the FFVII remake out soon, plus Alyx in VR has just highlighted the absence of this more than ever.”

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Modern Warfare

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Obra Dinn

“If Clive Sinclair was still making microcomputers this would be his killer app. A modern Spectrum classic.’

V2. Modern Warfare

“Nobody does it better. Or at 60fps.’

V3. Outer Worlds

“No Mans Sky and fallout had a baby.”

Writing of the Year

W1. Outer Worlds

W2. Obra Dinn

W3.

F1. Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. Elite Dangerous

“It takes time to populate the entire universe and Frontier Games are not shirking from the challenge. If I had a clue how to play it this would probably be one of my games of the decade.”

X1. Detroit

C1. ADA

C2. Ring Fit dude

C3. That doggy thing in Astral Chain

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Witcher 3 

“There is something similar about many of the games I end up considering all time favourites. At first I often cannot stand them. I played Witcher 3 for a bit and just could not get a hang of the combat or baffling menus and wheels at all. It all just seemed way too much faff coming after games such as Mass Effect and their far more immediate pull. A year or two later I picked it up in one of the online sales, and have not stopped playing it since. I cranked up the difficulty to force me to learn the ins and outs of the systems, spent weeks simply finding people to play Gwent with and spent more weeks travelling around White Orchard thinking that map was the entire game. When it all opens up it’s just breathtaking how much there is to do. After several years, of admittedly not continuous play, I still haven’t finished the story and have barely even touched upon the optional actual Witchering. An amazing game and one which not only compliments the novels, but one which adds to their lore.”

D2. GTAV 

“Los Angeles the game and arguably the pinnacle of open World gaming. I visited Venice Beach with my then girlfriend, now wife, a few years back and we stopped to get a soda. She popped round the corner and went for a wee while I waited outside. That soda shop and loo are both in the game. The accuracy and familiarity of the city is incredible. The writing and integration of all the characters and storylines is pretty seamless, and your habitation of the game can last as long as you have time to play. The mission, the heists, all great, but as always just losing yourself in one of the many environments and building up your empire however you choose to means you can spend months bypassing the story completely. Never played the online mode for more than 5 minutes, maybe I’ll give it a go on the next one. The Witcher 3 pips it for me simply because of its more intricate and nerdy gameplay mechanisms. One of the bikers trailer homes also has the names of my wife’s cousin and her husband on the name plaque outside as her best mate was a programmer on the trailer parks.”

D3. Destiny 

“I don’t consider myself a hardcore Destiny player. I’ve barely played the second one and I have never ever taken part in a Raid. Despite this for a year or so I played Destiny almost every day. Chasing weapons and light, obsessing about different skins, and at one point actually paying hard cash for some dance moves. Destiny seamlessly integrated co-op play but still allowed you to play alone at the same time. I know you can hook up with your mates, but for me the ability to randomly team up then abandon whoever happened to be around at the time was more than enough. And the gameplay...the gameplay is so super-slick, the action loops so compelling, that the repetition barely registers. Yes at one point I inhabited the World of Destiny more than any other game this generation. And like a wonderful holiday, I like to think I’ll return there one day.”

D4. Last guardian 

“This generation was the generation that at least some long dreamed of vapourware actually manifested into reality. This is the big one for me. Ueda’s World creation is so unique and here it’s never been more alive. The vistas and sense of scale are unmatched IMO and the interaction with beasty is charming. A remake on the PS5 or 6 that sorts out the frame rate is already one of my most anticipated future games.”

D5. Wipeout Omega VR 

“Maybe it’s the familiarity of spending hundreds of hours on these tracks over PSP, PS3 and 4, but when the VR patch came along for this out of nowhere it was the real-life equivalent of being digitised and sucked into the ENCOM mainframe. Except the graphics were better. Wipeout Omega VR has the perfect balance of mobility, linearity and interactivity for VR. No sick inducing 360 movement for me, but undulating tracks which give just enough of a real World sense of actual momentum. The only game in the past twenty years, let alone ten, which has truly boggled my mind and made me experience something truly new. Ironic considering it was already one of my most played games before the patch even came out.”

D6. Walking Dead 

“I like choosing my own adventures. I like David Cage games and those old Lone Wolf books. But what I really love about Walking Dead is the callous way it makes you suffer, despite choosing what you thought was the best option. It shows a brutal World where even the best intentions can have tragic consequences, and it does this consistently throughout the entirety of your game. I played a few other Telltale games, and had a go at a couple of the Walking Dead spin-offs. I’m yet to finish the sequel. But the first time I played though TWD it was something very new and original.”

D7. TLOU 

“Is it just me or do half the post apocalyptic TV shows and movies rip this off? Not only a unique game but one which has had a cultural impact beyond video gaming. World creation far beyond anything but the most detailed RPG. Combat, purposely awkward, but which still actually works well. And great storytelling that adds to the experience rather than bores your socks off. If it wasn’t for all the ladders and floating crates this would be higher up the list.”

D8. Mass Effect 2

“I think I could have played this game forever of they’d just kept releasing more and more dlc. The combat was so addictive, the team you assembled so varied and well written and the World, well, despite the ‘planets’ not being entire planets and quite compact the illusion of size worked well. Within the parameters of your missions it really did feel like you were travelling around the galaxy. And it all looked incredible. I think this was also the first time I played an action RPG and actually thought, hey, these could actually be decent RPG’s as well s action games. The fact the series failed to make a successful transition to this generation is a tragedy.”

D09. Vanquish

“I remember one of the FF games producers saying it would be like controlling a crazy anime fight. It wasn’t. This on the other hand is the best example of seemingly impossible combat that not only looks incredible but which a normal human can actually pull off. Alongside Okami my favourite Platinum game, and one of the greatest action games of all time.

D10. Horizon: Zero Dawn

“I ummed and ahhed about including this at all. Not because it isn’t most definitively one of my favourite games of all time, but because it takes so much from other games on my list.  But then, it adds so much as well. For me the Dino battling is probably the greatest in-game combat going in an action-RPG. The robo-dinos themselves are just beautiful, as is the World itself. Scanning them for weak spots, methodically laying traps, them attacking and seeing the visceral writhing of the animals is unparalleled I think. No other game evokes the primal rage of an animal in mortal combat than the crazy mechs on display here. The most surprising thing about it for me was the level of intelligent sci-fi the story brings to the table, which tops just about everything,other games have offered. Another game I could probably play forever. Guerilla surpassed themselves, and pretty much everyone else with this one.”

• Upvote 4

Even considering all I play is Switch this is pretty tough, sure I'm forgetting tons of indies. Placeholder for now:

Game of the Year

A1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

A2. Dragon Quest XI: S

A3. Cuphead

A4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

A5. The Witcher 3

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. No Igavania collection 

Z2. Physical Switch releases/compilations with substantial downloadable elements

Z3. 

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Cadence of Hyrule

S2. Cuphead

S3. Luigi's Mansion 3

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Cuphead

V2. Yoshi's Crafted World

V3. Katana Zero

Writing of the Year

W1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

W2. Dragon Quest XI localisation work

W3.

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Nintendo

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. Forza Horizon 4

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or
earlier)

X1. Castlevania: Bloodlines

C1. Sylvando (Dragon Quest XI: S)

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls

D2. Virtue's Last Reward

D3. Ultra Street Fighter IV

D4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild