rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2019 and Games of the Decade - Voting thread

Argh, you're right - apologies!

While I'm here, I'll urge people not to forget handheld gaming when doing their GOTD.  It so often slips from your consciousness, but there are dozens of incredible titles that may have been pushed out of your brain over the years :)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Treble said:

Argh, you're right - apologies!

While I'm here, I'll urge people not to forget handheld gaming when doing their GOTD.  It so often slips from your consciousness, but there are dozens of incredible titles that may have been pushed out of your brain over the years :)

I didn't play many hence not many making my list but Fire Emblem Awakening was well up there for me :) Saved the series as well!

• Upvote 1

Does anyone wait to see what other people post to remind themselves of what's been released, and played in 2019? Apparently I've played nothing. Must be all that retro gaming. Or maybe it's because I buy games and never play them? Astro Bot and Blood and Truth I'm looking at you.

anyhoo...

Game of the Year 
A1. 
A2. 
A3. 
A4. 
A5. 

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else) 
Z1. Xbox One S All-Digital Edition
Z2. 
Z3. 
Z4. 
Z5. 

How's everyone getting on with their All-Digital edition consoles then?

Sound Design of the Year 
S1. 
S2. 
S3. 

Visual Design of the Year 
V1. 
V2. 
V3. 

Writing of the Year 
W1. 
W2. 
W3. 

Gaming Format (System) of the Year 
F1. Neo Geo MVS

even alongside my AES and my NGCD machines, this proving to be a bundle of laughs. Mostly because 161-in-1 cart. Currently requires the use of a 21" CRT. but slightly less... hassle than my Pi machine. Weird. 

Publisher or Developer of the Year 
P1. Ubisoft

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year 
B1. Forza Motorsport 6

£4!?! All the DLC

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier) 
X1. Assassins Creed Odyssey

Best game character of the year 
C1. 
C2. 
C3. 

And the big one: 

Game of the Decade 

D1. Assassins Creed Black Flag
D2. Batman: Arkham Knight
D3. Max Payne 3
D4. Doom (2016)
D5. Mass Effect 2
D6. Alpha Protocol
D7. WipeOut Omega (VR)
D8. Assassins Creed Syndicate
D9. Inside
D10. Uncharted 4
D10. Assassins Creed Rogue

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 1

I'll be sure to update with reams of barely coherent commentary in due course. 

Subject to massive change for the 2019 stuff. There's loaaaaaaads I'm looking forward to in the next few months. 

Game of the Year

A1. Cuphead (Switch) 

A2. SEGA AGES: Virtua Racing 

A3. Yoshi's Crafted World

A4. Tetris 99

A5. Devil May Cry V

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. Team Sonic Racing 

Z2. Sony E3 No Show 

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Super Mario Maker 2

S2. Cuphead 

S3. Control

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Cuphead 

V2. Control 

V3. Yoshi's Crafted World 

Writing of the Year

W1. VA-11 HALL-A (Switch) 

W2. Control 

W3.

F1. Switch 

P1. Nintendo 

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. Smash Brothers Ultimate 

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Titanfall 2

C1.

C2.

C3. 

Game of the Decade

D1. Rez Infinte 

D2. Rock Band 3 

D3. Bloodborne 

D4. Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe) 

D5. Mario Odyssey 

D6. Nex Machina 

D7. Overwatch 

D8. Smash Brothers Ultimate 

D9. Splatoon 2

D10. Virtue's Last Reward 

(What do you plan on doing with Mario Kart 8, Benny? Are you counting Deluxe as a separate release?)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Danster said:

What about Civilization?

Civ 5 and 6 is going to be the only valid one for GotD. Each Civ is a entirely new game. MK8 Deluxe is just an update.

FIrst attempt of many

Game of the Decade

D1. The Last of Us
D2. Witcher 3

D3. Destiny

D4. Skyrim

D5. God of War

D6. The Last Guardian

D7. Marvels Spider-man

D8. Batman :Arkham City

D9. Astro Bot

D10. Red Dead Redemption 2

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Question - is No Mans Sky Beyond update eligible for this year as a major expansion?

Is it a paid update? If it's a paid expansion it would be eligible, but if it's a free update it would only be eligible for the Best Supported Game category.

11 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

How do you feel about games like Bayonetta? Released in Japan at the end of 2009, most English speaking players wouldn't have played it until January 2010, when it was released in Europe and North America . 

Good question. I would go with the date a game was first available to play in the UK. As it's about when most people on the forum would have been able to play it, so for them it could fall within that decade of gaming.

I'm going to make a point of playing astrobot and blood & truth this weekend... and tetris effect

and beat sabers

and warcade...

#MyNameIsSeanAndIHaveAProblem

• Upvote 1

I've not played enough 2019 releases to comment on the majority of the thread - Sea of Thieves and AC Odyssey both came out last year, and they've taken up 95% of my gaming - so straight to the GOTD vote:

Game of the Decade

D1. Sea of Thieves - no other game has come close in terms of fucking around and just enjoying gaming with friends.  With the new content released this year, it's getting better and better with the potential starting to be realised.  But I love the bare bones of the game, the idea behind it, the game engine and THE SEA!  A proper addiction.

D2. Skyrim - I prided myself on being the only person I knew who had 1000/1000 on Xbox.  Then the bastards released the DLC and some git beat me to it.  This game was the reason I almost fell asleep at work on a daily basis.  Then another bloke started in my office who also played it so we spoke about it pretty much every day.  I will never accept that there was a better companion that J'Zargo - we fell out over that.

D3. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - a stunning achievement.  But I've not actually finished it yet.  And that's because there's just so much to do and I don't want the journey to end.

D4. Mass Effect 2 - sci-fi storytelling hasn't been bettered.  Shame - I wish it had.  By ME3 preferably.  This is easily the pinnacle of the series.

D5. Batman: Arkham City - better than the original IMO

D6. Call of Duty: Black Ops - I loved this series around this time.  The original BO was the last time I thought I was actually any good at an online FPS.  I miss those days.

D7. Assassins Creed: Odyssey - I had to shoehorn in a AC game and Odyssey does everything I loved about the series, expands upon it, adds elements of other games I enjoy and then sticks the Ancient Greek setting over the top.  I've LOADS left to do in this and I can't wait to do it.

D8. Red Dead Redemption - I stopped playing the sequel because I was fully addicted to SoT so I'm sticking the original RDR game in.  

D9. Super Mario 3D World - my poor kids couldn't get near the Wii U when I was playing this.  

D10. Uncharted 4 - I wanted to put Uncharted 2 in this but I think that was released in 2009?  This was my 2nd favourite instalment so I'll add it in.

I would / should want to put Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Rez Infinite into my decade list - they’re amongst the best games of all time - but I just don’t feel it would be correct to do so.

I sort of compartmentalise them mentally as both belonging to the previous decade, somehow, with one being a direct sequel to a similarly excellent decade-defining original, and the other being a suped-up VR sexual recreation of a sweet old Dreamcast game, which is obviously an awesome concept, but I wouldn’t like to abuse the technicalities of voting eligibility in order to get these old games in this decade’s list.

There are 3 or 4 other Mario games from this decade that, while not as good as Galaxy 2, I’d feel more comfortable voting for. Anyone else get what I mean? I also don’t want half of my list for the decade to be Mario games, even though half my favourite games from this decade have been Mario games.

Tetris Effect still gets a vote while I toy with dropping Rez Infinite, mind. It’s a much more different play experience to other Tetris games in a way that Rez Infinite isn’t really different to playing the original (I mean, it is, but, fuck, I dunno man).

• Empathy 1

As long as people stick to the rules, I think it's good to set yourself some personal ones, that way all of our lists have some unique flavour when writing about why we picked them.

By the way, I realise there might be some confusion about my inclusion of Rez Infinite, despite my no HD re-releases rule for Games of the Decade. The reason is simple: Rez Infinite in VR is an entirely new way to experience the game, in the same way all good remakes achieve. A mere HD remaster would be just that, Rez in HD. But Infinite with the VR was not something that existed as an experience in the previous decade.

So it comes under REMAKES being allowed, not under the disallowed remastered re-releases. (For game of the decade. Again for game of the year, remasters are allowed.)

• Upvote 1

Quick tip: it might be worth people bookmarking their posts in here so they can edit them later, as I forsee a flurry of activity before the end of December.

Initial thoughts, I'll change this a bunch I suspect.

Game of the Year

A1.

A2.Slay the Spire - Switch

A3.Tetris 99 - Switch

A4. Mario Maker 2

A5. Fire Emblem - Three Houses

Short List:  Baba is You,  Katana Zero, Outer Wilds (the space game, not the borderlands-esque one with the similar name).

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1.

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. 

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch - oh so, very switch, by such a margin.

P1. Nintendo

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. Celeste. Another Chapter released, for free, when done. Not constant minor updates to 'maintain engagement metrics'. Or Shovel Knight if that stuff arrives this year.

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Doom - Switch. (Yeah, yeah, all that aside. Still the most fun I've had with a pre 2019 game).

C1.

C2.

C3. Baba

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls

D2. Super Mario Odyssey

D3. Legend of Zelda; Breath of the Wild

D4: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (the perfect NES game, rather than the buggy modern one)

D5. Rez Infinite

D6. Beat Sabre

D7. Doom 2016.  

D8. Super Mario Maker 1

D9. Slay the Spire

D10 Mario Kart 8.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Benny said:

By the way, I realise there might be some confusion about my inclusion of Rez Infinite, despite my no HD re-releases rule for Games of the Decade. The reason is simple: Rez Infinite in VR is an entirely new way to experience the game, in the same way all good remakes achieve. A mere HD remaster would be just that, Rez in HD. But Infinite with the VR was not something that existed as an experience in the previous decade.

So it comes under REMAKES being allowed, not under the disallowed remastered re-releases. (For game of the decade. Again for game of the year, remasters are allowed.)

Don't forget Area X too - that's 20% extra game! 

• Upvote 1

Just pootled around games rankings looking at the last ten years. May a sub list of classic from each year, that I forgot about for my shortlist.

I reproduce below because why not:

Spoiler

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pac-Man Chanpionshio Edition DX

Limbo

Super Meat Boy

Sin and Punishment Star Successor

Bayonetta

Vanquish

Spoiler

Super Mario 3D Land

Dark Souls