rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2019 and Games of the Decade - Voting thread

I crunched the numbers and so far I've played 3 games in 2019 that were released in 2019, so the top 10 of the year should be pretty easy for me. :lol:  Reviewed my playing history since 2010 as well though, and it's going to keep me busy.

Spoilered WIP. Comments to be added. 

Spoiler

Game of the Year

A1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses 

A2. Cuphead (Switch) 

A3. Rolling Gunner 

A4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 

A5. Final Fantasy VII (Switch) - the best game I've played all year, finally finished it and became obsessed. 

Biggest Disappointment of the Year (game, hardware, or anything else)

Z1. PS4 - a strange waste of a year. 

Z2. 

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Cuphead 

S2. FFVII

S3. Sekiro 

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Astral Chain

V2. Cuphead 

V3. Sekiro

Writing of the Year

W1. FE3H

W2.

W3.

Gaming Format (System) of the Year

F1. Switch 

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Nintendo 

Best Supported Game (released pre 2019) of the Year

B1. NMS

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Mushihimesama Futari 

Best game character of the year

C1. Dorothea

C2. Mercedes 

C3. Manuela

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls 

D2. DriveClub 

D3. The Last Of Us

D4. Skyrim 

D5. MGSV: TPP

D6. BotW

D7. The Binding of Isaac: AB+

D8. USF4

D9. Bloodborne

D10. Dark Souls 2: SOTFS

• Upvote 1

I do really enjoy these so mine is in the spoiler below -

Spoiler

Game of the Year (There have been plenty of competitors and still some to come so this is obviously subject to change)

A2. Metro Exodus

A3.  Gears 5

A4.

A5.

Z1. Kingdom hearts III - I enjoyed this but considering the long development time it just wasn't anywhere near as good as it should have been I don't think

Z2. Far cry new dawn - It was just basically the same game as the previous one after someone got a pink paint bucket out of splatoon and ran around sloshing it about

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.  FE3H

S2. Gears 5

S3.

V1. Gears of war 5

V2. Metro Exodus

V3. FE3H

Writing of the Year

W1. Fire Emblem 3 houses

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch 

P1. Nintendo 

B1. Overwatch

Your game of the year that didn't come out this year (basically what is your favourite game you played this year that came out in 2018 or earlier)

X1. Assassins creed odyssey

C1. Kait - Gears 5

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. The witcher 3

D2. Mass effect 2

D3.  The last of us

D4. Fire Emblem Awakening

D5. Zelda Breath of the wild

D6. GTA V

D7. Dragon age inquisition

D8. Horizon Zero Dawn

D9. Overwatch

D10. Alpha Protocol

• Upvote 1

As much as I love the Mass Effect games, I don't see how any game other than Skyrim is going to be top for GOTD for me. I've bought and played it on almost every format it's been available on. I played it in VR just last night. 

On 08/09/2019 at 20:23, Qazimod said:

That 2011 thread... have a gander at it and gasp in surprise at how few people seemed to be picking Dark Souls. It seemed to be all about Skyward Sword.

I thought the word of mouth on Demon's Souls marked the end of low-key obscurity for the Souls games and they hit the mainstream (in terms of videogame forums at least) when Dark was released?

Is it just the Nintendo effect at work?

presumably that's going to have a similar effect on the game of the decade vote - by which I obviously mean Skyward Sword is a lock for number 1.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Spoilered WIP. Comments to be added. 

Reveal hidden contents

Game of the Year

A2. Cuphead (Switch) 

A3. Rolling Gunner 

A4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 

A5. Final Fantasy VII (Switch) - the best game I've played all year, finally finished it and became obsessed. 

Z1. PS4 - a strange waste of a year. 

Z2. 

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Cuphead 

S2. FFVII

S3. Sekiro 

V1. Astral Chain

V2. Cuphead 

V3. Sekiro

Writing of the Year

W1. FE3H

W2.

W3.

F1. Switch 

P1. Nintendo 

B1. NMS

X1. Mushihimesama Futari 

C1. Dorothea

C2. Mercedes 

C3. Manuela

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls 

D2. Mushihimesama Futari 

D3. Dodonpachi Daioujou 

D4. Skyrim 

D5. MGSV: TPP

D6. BotW

D7. The Binding of Isaac: AB+

D8. USF4

D9. Bloodborne

D10. Dark Souls 2: SOTFS

unfortunately, as i'd like to vote for futari too, i think that and daioujou are both from before 2010 :(

also i don't like to complain about these as i'm sure it'a a massive hastle to organise, so please ignore this, i just want to get it off my chest - i'd like to play ESP ra.de. (19 dec) before voting but the deadline will make it difficult, it might not even arrive this year.

On 08/09/2019 at 13:14, Benny said:

Agreed. Remakes are allowed for GotD, but not HD re-releases and remasters.

Quick question. How would Ultra Street Fighter 4 sit in terms of GOTD? 

Original Street Fighter 4 was the previous decade but Ultra was released in 2014.

That's a tricky one. I think you could argue Ultra Street Fighter 4 is a significant stand-alone release that came out on current gen formats, so I think it's allowable. It's an update but it's its own thing rather than a HD version or remaster.

Also someone mentioned above a couple of picks that were pre 2010 - please remember to check your dates.

@Stanshall both those bullet hell shooters are invalid GotD entries.

21 minutes ago, Benny said:

Also someone mentioned above a couple of picks that were pre 2010 - please remember to check your dates.

@Stanshall both those bullet hell shooters are invalid GotD entries.

Apologies, I don't know what I was thinking. Will edit. 

I can't believe I haven't played any games this year that were released in 2019.  Is it me or has it been pretty dead.  There are a few games due that have peaked my interest and the year is not over yet.

I borrowed a Switch a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed with Mario and Zelda, but I think that more me just not getting on with the mentality of Nintendo games .ie Game Over.......loading.......do you want to continue......loading........  Do that many people make the choice to say no?  Nintendo fans, please don't get upset, it's me, not you or Nintendo.  I loved my 64.

Only got two new games this year so just going to skip ahead to the Game of the Decade. 

Will finish/ edit later: 

Spoiler

D1:  Dark Souls

will have a look at what i wrote in "Your favourite games of all times" thread we had a while ago and come up with something different

D2:  Ace Combat Infinity

ditto

D3:  Let it Die

same 

D4:  Demon's Souls

A full on action/adventure .............Required you to plan ahead, strategise and have your reflex skills be on point. Honest and brutal, oozing atmosphere and just fun to play, play again and then start a new build. Afraid to go online for fear of invasions but needing help with Flamelurker. Many hours later wondering why you were ever afraid to go online as the invasion system is absolutely glorious. The track through Boletaria Castles latter stages, the Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement (culminating in meeting Garl and the Maiden Astrea - that music) are some of my most cherished gaming memories. 

D5:  MGS: TPP

What a surprise. So much gameplay. Kojima-san finally delivering a damn fine stealth simulator that is not just entertaining as an interactive spy thriller but as a game as well. Casettes and snakes / FOB madness

D6:  GT Sport

The coffee table book come to life. Slowly but surely computing power is getting where it needs to be to do justice to it's director's ambitions. The attention to detail is what i love about most Japanese games but Yamauchi-san might be the most obsessed director out there. Part of me wishes to find a bit more 'soul' in GT games, another part of me loves them for what they are. GT Sports' focus on online races,  incorporation of real life events and community make this one really stand out from earlier editions, and imo, is all the better for it. Now if i could just win the lottery and get some money to revive Genk,  so i could fix the raging itch i've had since Tokyo Xtreme Raxcer 3. Tokyo loops can be and should be fun. Kaz, pls take note. 

D7:  Sekiro

Haven't played it to the end yet ( far from it) but movement, combat and the game world feel so much more organic/ natural then in FROM's earlier releases in this generation. So far i love everything about it. Boss rush 

D8:  WipEout 2048

Apart from the rearranged colours of the HD/Fury Zone modes (they were perfect in their minimalism, why mess with them?) and not changing the colours on the 2048 Zone modes (which are eye bleeding awful in a lot of ways) this is a perfect collection. I love WipEout, it's universe, it's tracks, it's modes, it's music and can never get enough. Airbrake master race

D9:  Bloodborne

Blood vial farming/ saw dust/ pvp pow pow lots of long hair and flailing capes

D10:  hmmm... 

Here's my GotD for now. I'll edit in GotY and some comments later.

D1. Dark Souls (360)
D2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Sw)
D3. Bayonetta (360)
D4. Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)
D5. Dragon Quest IX (DS)
D6. Invisible Inc. (PS4)
D7. The Witness (PS4)

D8. The Last Guardian (PS4)

D9. Celeste (PS4)

D10. XCom 2 (PS4)

And the others that deserve a mention:

Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus Remake (PS4), Mark of the Ninja (360), Mass Effect 2 (360), Tetris Effect (PS4), Persona 5 (PS4), Persona 4 Golden (Vit), Baba Is You (Sw), Monster Hunter: World (PS4), Bloodborne (PS4), Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4), Detention (PS4), Journey (PS4), Motorstorm RC (Vit), Dragon Quest Builders (PS4), Driveclub (PS4), Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii), Nex Machina (PS4), Vanquish (360).

• Upvote 3

Work in Progress

Spoiler

Game of the Year

A1.

A2. Dragon Quest Builders 2

A3.

A4.

A5.

Z1.

Z2.

Z3.

Z4.

Z5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

V1.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

F1. Playstation 4

P1.

B1.

X1. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

C1.

C2.

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Journey

D2. The Last of Us

D3. God Of War

D4. Horizon Zero Dawn

D5. Enslaved Odyssey to the West

D6.

D7.

D8.

D9.

D10.

• Upvote 1

On 08/09/2019 at 15:00, GamesGamesGames said:

Don't feel qualified for this year - haven't gamed much - but will contribute for the decade.

Game of the Decade

D1. Sleep is Death

D2. Bloodborne

D3. PES Series (can't pick a given year)

D4. Dark Souls

D5. Inside

D6. Into the Breach

D7. Stellaris

D8. Dark Souls 3

D9. Nex Machina

D10. MGSV

There's at least one Switch exclusive I know would break this ten, had I had chance to get stuck into it.

Two egregious oversights, on reflection. So:

D1. Sleep is Death

D2. Bloodborne

D3. PES Series (can't pick a given year)

D4. Dark Souls

D5. Inside

D6. Fez

D7. Into the Breach

D8. The Witness

D9. Nex Machina

D10. MGSV

It'll be interesting, once the games of the decade are revealed, to see what the average year of release is as I think there's always a tendency with these sorts of lists for people to choose games they've played more recently, and can remember more vividly, than ones released 9 years ago.

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It'll be interesting, once the games of the decade are revealed, to see what the average year of release is as I think there's always a tendency with these sorts of lists for people to choose games they've played more recently, and can remember more vividly, than ones released 9 years ago.

Yeah, I just had a look at my "game of all time" list from a couple of years back and Splatoon 2 was 2nd! :facepalm: I must have been in the midst of that relatively brief addiction.

D1. Dark Souls

Five run through, in excess of 500 hours easily, time watching let's plays and lore videos. It's everything. 

D2. Breath of the Wild

I got a new laptop and tried running it via emulation out of curiosity. I wound up playing two hours. All consuming on the Switch for about 6 months. 

D3. Super Mario Odyssey

Just perfect bitesize little chunks of Mario. With hats. 

D4. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Everyone forgets about it but even the leftover ideas of Galaxy are better than 99% of other games. 

D5. Bloodborne 

Closest any of the other From games have got to the world building of DS. I can see why some would prefer the combat, but I prefer the slower pace of DS.

D6. Skyward Sword

And what? 

Loved the tactile nature of the controls, and there are so many precursors to BoTW in it. Plus time stones need to come back. 

D7. Persona 5

It's so long and there's so much wrong with it but the story remains gripping for most of the 100+ hours and the music is so damn good. 

D8. Dark Souls 2

Despite it being an objectively worse game than 3, I rinsed it multiple times and only did DS3 once. 

D9. Super Mario Maker

Nod over 2 because its better suited to the Wii U. A million troll levels, what else do you want? 

D10. Binding of Isaac

It was free on PS+ and then I knocked a million hours into it. 

I had much less time for games this decade. I've missed most of the big releases people will mention here, and by and large spent all the time playing variations on the same three games. 

Just gonna do the decade list cos I’m hopelessly behind as always.

D1 Breath of the Wild

D2 Dark Souls

D3 The Witness

D4 Journey

D5 Splatoon

D6 Dishonored

D7 Super Mario Galaxy 2

D8 Super Mario Maker

D9 Baba is You

D10 Mario Kart 8

And none for Mario Odyssey, bye. 

This will probably be work in progress as I catch up with the 2019 games over the rest of the year.

Game of the Year

A1. Tetris 99 - it's no contest. I've been playing barely anything else from this year.

A2. Cadence of Hyrule - it might be simpler than Crypt of the Necrodancer, but it's so charming and lovely

A3. Dragon Quest XI (Switch) - the massive demo got me hooked and I was getting DQVIII vibes. A good thing.

A4. Katana Zero - another Devolver game that instinctively understands the concept of flow. Wasn't that fussed by the story elements, but it's got some lovely style.

A5. Apex Legends - I didn't really play it much after the initial rush to try at launch, but what a rush it was. It's got that freedom of movement of Titanfall with a lot of smart ideas

Z1. Daemon EX Machina - the recent demo bored me shitless

Z2. Blasphemous - it was getting some high praise, but it just felt a little too janky and fussy to play after Katana Zero, and I wasn't taken with the art at all.

Z3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - just felt too old fashioned to me. A plethora of game breaking bugs didn't help.

Z4. No Sony at e3.

Z5. Chu Chu Rocket only on Apple Arcade.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Cadence if Hyrule - wonderful remixes of classic tunes

S2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I may not have got on with the game, but some of the music is stunning.

S3. Dragon Quest XI (Switch) - finally, orchestrated music by everyone's favourite holocaust denier.

V1. Cadence of Hyrule - charm in abundance

V2. Katana Zero - anyone tired of pixel art is tired of life

V3. Dragon Quest XI (Switch) - hey, I like the cross-eyed look

Writing of the Year

W1. Cadence of Hyrule - puns! Glorious puns!

W2. Dragon Quest XI - there was a particularly bleak bit in the demo that got me thinking this could be a bit more than the usual tweeness

W3.

F1. Switch

P1. Nintendo

B1. PUBG - it's genuinely been a good year for the game with all sorts of actually great and surprisingly bug free improvements

X1. Nier: Automata. Crypt of the Necrodancer is great - as it was so good it made me buy Cadence soon after. BotW should be in here, but that's going in the other awards because it would dominate every year... But Nier Automata took me on a journey of initially not being enamoured with the game to total Damascene conversion at the end.

C1. Cadence

C2. 

C3.

And the big one:

Game of the Decade

D1. Dark Souls

D2. Breath of the Wild

D3. The Witcher 3

D4. X-COM Enemy Unknown

D5. Doom (2016)

D6. Divinity: Original Sin 2

D7. Minecraft

D8. Mass Effect 2

D9. Yakuza 0

D10. Rez Infinite (and VR in general)

Shortlisted picks: Vanquish, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Nier: Automata, Elite Dangerous, Overwatch, Journey, Bloodborne.

My criteria for all the above picks was going to be to try and pick a game from each year that I loved, but then 2016 just ended up being too good a year. In the end, I settled on picking games that, for months at a time in most cases, I got completely obsessed by. Not just games I loved, but that took over my waking thoughts. It takes very special media to do that. Well, apart from Journey, which is just one of the most beautiful experiences ever.

More text for these of course when it comes to doing the writeups, if they make it in...

• Upvote 2

A note on how I will be doing scoring for the games of the decade: when I did the top 100 games we all picked 20 games, and I weighted them 20 points for 1st place, 19 for second, all the way down to 1 point for 20th. This time, I will be awarding 20 points for 1st place, down to 10 points for 10th place. This means that two votes for even a 10th place game will still carry the same weight as one 1st place vote.

If I did it 10-1 points, then you'd have two 10th places only being worth one 9th place, which I don't think would be fair for these awards.

So this time, more than ever, your votes for those individual personal picks will really count.

Game of the year method remains unchanged.

Something like this, although I have 4 or 5 bubbling under that I might need to promote.

Game of the Decade

D1. Destiny

D2. The Witcher 3

D3. Red Dead Redemption

D4. Marvel's Spider-Man

D5. Rocket League

D6. Alpha Protocol

D7. Bloodborne

D8. Batman: Arkham Knight

D9. NFS: Hot Pursuit

D10. Watch Dogs 2

On 08/09/2019 at 11:39, Benny said:

Additional note: emulation DOES NOT COUNT. So much as I'm sure you want to vote for all the SNES games that are now playable on the Switch, they are really emulated releases, not self contained re-releases. NO exception for Mario Kart despite it having online play - I'd rather you pick a newer games for the awards so we don't get bogged down in minutiae.

I'm not that bothered myself, but someone's going to say it...

...is Starfox 2 on the SNES Classic eligible for GOTD?

20 hours ago, Benny said:

Game of the Year

A1. Tetris 99 - it's no contest. I've been playing barely anything else from this year.

Can this count? It came out last year (November) on PS4; this year was just an unaltered PC release.

3 minutes ago, Treble said:

Can this count? It came out last year (November) on PS4; this year was just an unaltered PC release.

It jumped out at me cos I would have put it in my top ten if it was 2019.

You're thinking of the other, easy Tetris game for hippies.

(I've not played Tetris Effect)